Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

biggy H

Seems like a plausible description and sounds very cool. The one thing I question is the ATAT heads moving. You can see in the pictures that the head is affixed to the framework. They may be saying this because we see the heads move in the preview video, but that might just be embellishment like the live actors we see in the video.

View attachment 341102

It will be the strobe lighting effects that it makes it appears it is moving...:p

Stripes

That steel could just be the structural foundation fo the head though. It's certainly possible that the prop head encases a system to move it that is then anchored on to that steel skeleton head.
Yeah, like all those girders they cut off the spires once they got the mesh and concrete work done.

Add an articulating joint, then cut through the girders.

Maybe.
I think both these may be correct, as I think the 2 AT-ATs have been designed to move differently. One moves it's head up and down, the other turns to the right (it's left) and looks at you.
image.png

In this image it certainly looks like there's some extra engineering going on inside the head. Also, the joint where the head attaches to the body looks to be made out of a rubber material or something, likely for articulation.

Haymarket2008

Confused why anyone STILL thought there would be two different ride vehicles you would enter when insiders have debunked that numerous times in the last year or so. The first “vehicle” was always the pre-show.
Besides that, the ride sounds spectacular. I like how Kylo Ren is stalking you throughout. It’s gonna be creepy.

Goofyernmost

I would honestly expect them to yank off and replace the entire head. The steel they used looks to be way oversized if it was intended to only be a static frame. There is also a lack of any X bracing that I would expect to see in a permanent structural frame.

Again, just spitballing, but if the heads will move I would expect them to either be made out of a much smaller size steel or aluminium to keep the weight down as the real critical structural point is not the head itself, but where the head would connect back into the main body. Every pound you can take off of the head would result in significant savings in the loads that this joint would experience.
Likely spitball is imaginary head movement done with Disney magic. That is way to much weight to leave to chance of it breaking down and becoming a disaster.

flyerjab

Like Tom's Runaway Railway description, this gets the gist down, but misses a few things (at least one of which I would consider to be crucial) and misinterprets a few others.

Is the supposed drop at the end a true drop like ToT? Or is that a misinterpreted part of the ride? If you can tell of course.

flyerjab

I am hoping that is not true. I am not a fan of drops so that would turn me off from wanting to ride this.

I hope that if it is a drop that it would be a controlled decent. I might be able to handle it but 2 of my kids will not and I really want all of us to experience this one as a family. I think having an "intense" drop on a huge people eating ride would be a big mistake from a capacity standpoint. A lot of people do NOT like drop rides.

Incomudro

Is the supposed drop at the end a true drop like ToT? Or is that a misinterpreted part of the ride? If you can tell of course.

Knowing absolutely nothing about what they are actually doing - I don't think the drop will be a free fall drop as in ToT. (Yes, I know that we are actually pulled down and not dropped in ToT.)
But it's certainly going to be enough of an experience to give us some degree of falling back sensation.
This makes sense to me, as after our escape - we plunge back to the planet and exit the ride.
It fits in with what I said about Disney liking to end some rides on a chaotic, laughing, thrill note.
(Muppets do this too.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom