Trip Report So I guess Disney thinks Canadians do not celebrate Christmas?? A Max Trip Report- COMPLETED

A big hello to all my Disney friends:

As the title suggest this is a trip report regarding our recent Christmas adventure at Walt Disney World

Why the title you ask? I will keep you guessing on that one for a few days at least

Details leading up to the departure can be found here:

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...-max-the-girls-and-the-boys-do-disney.951075/

This is my 6th trip report on these boards so hopefully you have read at least one before

The reason I say that is that my style might not suit all - I can probably sum it up as

1) Shoot from the hip
2) Do not pull punches
3) Definitely not PC
4) Not always PG
5) As much Seinfeld references as @Tuvalu can handle
6) Not too heavy or too light on the Pixie dust -keep it real and call it as I see it

Quick introduction will come from:

Day 1 - Travel Day towards the US but not quite beyond the comfort of home:
Friday Dec 21, 2018

The original plan was to drive from our home in Waterloo Ont Canada to Buffalo NY on Sat Dec 22.
With a 10:35 am fight a same day drive could have worked.

We switched it up to a drive on the day before and booked a hotel in Niagara Falls Canada

(our B&B in Buffalo backed out on us - @Doc Disney can try to explain how she let us down!!!)

So here we are at the Embassy Suites on Friday enjoying our homemade Mickey cookies

Me (Max, Andrew, Clarence) and Tricia

1546644042766.png

My younger daughter Cassie and Shane (BF)
1546644075148.png

and my older daughter Stephanie and her fiancé Jordan
1546644098857.png

and this is all of us at the Falls ( selfies are harder with six people!!!)
1546644121013.png

This report will chronicle Disney trip 28 for me and lucky(?) 13 to WDW.
It is also 13 to WDW for Tricia
The girls celebrate 10 trips to the world
Trip 2 for Shane (though his memory of the first is limited)

And - 1ST TIME FOR JORDAN!!!!!!

More Day 1 to follow and then off to Buffalo the next day!!!

Welcome aboard, ashore and wherever we are!!!

Max

Last edited:

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 2 - Sat Dec 22
We were up early and first in line for the complimentary breakfast at 6:30
All 6 people up and ready to go on time
( a theme we hoped to maintain for the whole trip)
No issues with checkout, shuttle to the parking lot and border crossing at the rainbow bridge ( in Niagara Falls)

Southwest flight was delayed by an hour so we hung out at the Buffalo airport

I understand this sentiment
DC84DB7A-B29F-445E-B776-3EBE1AF44AD5.jpeg

This seems familiar
193DA558-82E1-42D8-AAE7-2F74999EADBC.jpeg

Yes we are visiting
D17F2D68-4427-44A6-AA9A-FFA356C02E09.jpeg

Sorry @Doc Disney - can not pull this off
Maybe if I went to a game with your family I could buy some Bills swag
DCC45396-C32C-4FAD-9C9B-2AA8ADEFB86E.jpeg

Plane finally arrived
3800E480-8B26-43A8-A0CA-F406549E7339.jpeg

2A1FA94A-54AE-4873-8AFA-F455CA064057.jpeg

On the plane and ready to go
09B703FB-3430-438D-909B-D398F39BB719.jpeg
EC05B5FF-A014-42E2-A412-AC26E86611B1.jpeg

Flight was turbulent but I slept through most so did not really notice

And I love these - shaped like real planes!!
25C06622-BA71-41F1-B127-2709420E5AF0.jpeg

Max

Rista1313

Day 1 cont’d
The suite had 2 rooms
Papa and Mama lion took the front room queen bed
View attachment 338557
and the kids took the room with 2 queen beds and view of the falls
View attachment 338556
This window to the bathroom tub is obviously more applicable to the honeymoon crowd I guess
( no romantic bubble bath looking out to the falls on this night !!)
View attachment 338555View attachment 338558View attachment 338559View attachment 338560
View attachment 338561
After settling in we went down to the falls on this beauty
View attachment 338563
View attachment 338564
Max

ooo a funicular!

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 2 cont'd
We landed at MCO 1 hour behind schedule
For those that remember my PTR we had a lot to do before dinner so losing an hour was not a good thing.

We divided and conquered the baggage claim and car rental

Picked up a minivan (needed the 6 seats and room for baggage) and found that the Toyota Sienna is larger than the Chrysler Grand Caravan
So one suitcase ended up in the third row seat!!

We stopped and stormed the Publix near Celebration for milk/ almond milk/ cereal, fruit ,veggies, wine and 5 cases of water.
(the van was stuffed)

Headed off toward the world and saw this just before 4 pm
C7140B3D-C688-41C9-9FD1-04AAFB1FA9AE.jpeg

Arrived at the Dolphin, off loaded the possession onto the cart and went into the lobby

The check in process was professional and flawless and we went to our room confident that we had chosen the best hotel for this trip...….

CEB1160D-8195-4C1E-B6BA-BF38B5B77D7C.jpeg

Check in was a disaster.....

Max

Last edited:

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
THE PLAN:
So for those of you who read/remember the lead up to this vacation one of the biggest concerns was where to stay

With 6 adults the normal Christmas resort ( Yacht Club - water view - 2 queen + trundle - just would not do

Here are a few excerpts from the PTR:

1546818943049.png

1546819226537.png

I booked this room setup over the phone in May

I called in late November and early December to confirm that this was still the reservation

The room was going to be on a lower floor but we were okay without a view

Mama Lion was happy that the whole group would be close together ( Note: we call this foreshadowing!!!!)

THE ACTUAL:
I walk up to the check in - Tricia is frustrated that all the rooms are ready yet at 4pm

Apparently check in is 4-6 pm - very strange to be that late in my opinion

The others go to the gift shop to check for magic bands for the boys

Eventually I am told only 2 are ready and they are on the 10th and 12 floor
1546819598729.png

Now I am a mechanical engineer so I ask - how are all the rooms expected to connect if they are on different floors?

She was confused - as were we

Finally a manager shows up and apologizes for the reservation screw up and states that he will make it better but he cannot get all on the same floor

My wife and I were like this
1546819843614.png

Eventually after a lot of discussion about their reputation of doing this previously
(I ACTUALLY MET SOMEONE ON THE LAST NIGHT WHO HAD THE EXACT SAME ISSUE !!)
And that this is a family vacation and that they are lucky that we did not have small children

We agreed to the following
1) 200 off per night for all 5 nights ( from 699 to 499 a night)
2) no resort fees
3)complimentary taxi to the Grand Floridian to make our ADR

So we saved over 1700 Cdn when all was said and done

The kids had two King rooms side by side (not connected) on the 12 floor of the Central tower (different elevator) and we had a two room King suite on the 10 in the West tower.
Yes - elevator to lobby and then switch to other elevator and back up to other room!!!

Pictures of the parents room
D9200D6A-67A5-4D2A-99CB-F0F65C285D47.jpeg
3A41E363-959D-4D02-8FE2-1FF6CE87DBFF.jpeg
2511567E-79F1-4D48-BA7C-07ECDC8CBBCB.jpeg
DB4355BC-65EB-4EB3-911A-2C06436A297E.jpeg
3AEA4FF3-6849-4D46-B51E-CEF24E4A2047.jpeg
E7DDB590-1BF3-4212-8AAC-4C55AA2AB1D2.jpeg

Max

Last edited:

krisri18

THE PLAN:
So for those of you who read/remember the lead up to this vacation one of the biggest concerns was where to stay

With 6 adults the normal Christmas resort ( Yacht Club - water view - 2 queen + trundle - just would not do

Here are a few excerpts from the PTR:

View attachment 339021
View attachment 339022

I booked this room setup over the phone in May

I called in late November and early December to confirm that this was still the reservation

The room was going to be on a lower floor but we were okay without a view

Mama Lion was happy that the whole group would be close together ( Note: we call this foreshadowing!!!!)

THE ACTUAL:
I walk up to the check in - Tricia is frustrated that all the rooms are ready yet at 4pm

The others go to the gift shop to check for magic bands for the boys

Eventually I am told only 2 are ready and they are on the 10th and 12 floor
View attachment 339026

Now I am a mechanical engineer so I ask - how are all the rooms expected to connect if they are on different floors?

She was confused - as were we

Finally a manager shows up and apologizes for the reservation screw up and states that he will make it better but he cannot get all on the same floor

My wife and I were like this
View attachment 339027

Eventually after a lot of discussion about their reputation of doing this previously
(I ACTUALLY MET SOMEONE ON THE LAST NIGHT WHO HAD THE EXACT SAME ISSUE !!)
And that this is a family vacation and that they are lucky that we did not have small children

We agreed to the following
1) 200 off per night for all 5 nights ( from 699 to 499 a night)
2) no resort fees
3)complimentary taxi to the Grand Floridian to make our ADR

So we saved over 1700 Cdn when all was said and done

The kids had two King rooms side by side (not connected) on the 12 floor of the Central tower (different elevator) and we had a two room King suite on the 10 in the West tower.
Yes - elevator to lobby and then switch to other elevator and back up to other room!!!

Pictures of the parents room
View attachment 339028View attachment 339029View attachment 339030View attachment 339031View attachment 339032View attachment 339033

Max
Sure, cuz everyone likes to spend vacation with their family in different rooms, on different floors, in completely different wings.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Even though the discount “helped” the situation, i hope you’ve followed this up with a letter how the acceptance of their “solution” was necessary for you all to have a place to sleep and that you had not choice but to accept, as I think their corporate offices should be informed at how the hotel is being run.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

This frustrating issue is practically becoming the norm these days, not just in Dolphin or Swan, but I've heard the same complaint from others in the past two years, in resorts like Yacht & Beach, Wilderness Lodge, etc.

I don't know if it's an issue getting enough housekeepers, or if it's a management decision to cut staff. And in your case, it was even more of a disruption due to additional family members in your party.

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Oh, and thanks for story time - Good Night Moon is one of my favorites (in addition to several Dr. Seuss books and Ferdinand the Bull)
It is one of my favs too !
LET'S GO! I'm in!
I was wondering when you would join in!

A little late but all caught up.
I am late getting this "thanks" post out so...
Thanks for following!

The Christmas Max Trip has started! Present!! Enjoy your weekend!:joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:
More representation from Europe - love it!

Ahhh...you had to start your report right before I have to go back to work?! I guess I'll have to give the kiddos some busywork so I can stay caught up!
I appreciate how you prioritize!

Another follower here (wait . . . that sounded sort of cultish . . . :cautious: ). :hilarious:
:joyfull: Can't wait to read more of your TR, Max. P.S.: I love the funicular at the hotel--very cool.
All you have to do is hang on every word I say and praise me and laugh at my jokes and ….
It does sound a little cult like
Pass the Kool Aid and enjoy the show!!

Ha! Goodnight Moon is definitely one of our favorites! There should be a Disney version!
see below..

n the tiki tiki tiki tiki tiki room
there was a MDE app
and a Mickey balloon
and the portraits from

the stretching room.
I like it!

Funny I see the falls all the time and I forget how cool they are - I feel like I should not be so meh about them.
I feel the same way about the CN Tower - but every visitor from Japan does the obligatory trip to Toronto for it and to Niagara to see the Falls - What can I say - its our thing!!

Excited to read your report!! I want to see the falls someday, it's on my bucket list!
It is quite the sight to see!!

Wow, the falls are gorgeous! Makes our NC mountain falls look really meh! 😑
I love the Dino scared pic.
Come and see them sometime - I will make myself available!!

1546907274662.png

’m a bit late, but I’m in :geek: Can’t wait to read the whole story! And those pictures of the falls are making me want to take a trip over the border to see them from the other side!
The view from "our side" is better

Just seen you’ve started your TR - hoorah.
And what a view of the falls from that hotel - truly stunning and something i hope to see one day. Following along.
Our door is always open...

ooo a funicular!
and how many funiculars have you had the chance to ride?

Uh oh, that doesn't sound good!!

All caught up and enjoying your trip with your lovely family!
Lets just say it was much less than a magical experience...

Oh no I can't like this!
That fair - I did not like it on that day either!

That's ridiculous about your rooms! Good that they gave you a big discount, but still. Not a good way to get repeat business, for sure.
I would like to chalk it up to not being a Disney hotel but naw - it was just poor customer service

Oh I definitely think you pull it off! Go Bills!
Fly Eagles Fly - (and hope the other team hits the post and cross bar!!!

I would have been furious! Glad they gave you a discount, but I'm sure you would rather have had the room that you reserved! I hope the rest of the stay gets better!
It does get better, then worse, then better , then worse, then better......

Sure, cuz everyone likes to spend vacation with their family in different rooms, on different floors, in completely different wings.
1546907601100.png

Even though the discount “helped” the situation, i hope you’ve followed this up with a letter how the acceptance of their “solution” was necessary for you all to have a place to sleep and that you had not choice but to accept, as I think their corporate offices should be informed at how the hotel is being run.
We completed an online survey , slammed them hard, and got the standard corporate we are sorry/but doing nothing else reply
Thank you for caring about how I feel - in one post you topped everyone at the Dolphin!!

This frustrating issue is practically becoming the norm these days, not just in Dolphin or Swan, but I've heard the same complaint from others in the past two years, in resorts like Yacht & Beach, Wilderness Lodge, etc.
So if you spend a night in the hotel you get turfed at 11am after only getting the room 17 hours before!!!
Sad

All caught up and following along. That stinks that you guys didn't get the rooms you originally reserved, but I'm glad there was some kind of compensation for it. I loved the pic of the "real" dinosaurs...and they say chivalry is dead... ;):hilarious:
Thanks
and yes - Shane offered her up as Dino Food pretty quick!!!

Following along 🎅
thank you - more posts to come!

All caught up and following! That's terrible what happened with the room situation!
Thank you for joining in and for your kind thoughts

Max

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom