News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Patcheslee

You really think this is about the busses? Enhanced mobility is a nice byproduct...

This is about the extra $50-100/night Disney will charge for the 7,500 hotel rooms serviced by this system. We're talking a half million dollars in extra revenue PER DAY. That's $180M per year. The whole system will cost WAY less than that... What a great investment AND it will help with mobility, add something cool to WDW, and on and on.

In addition, with 7,500 rooms (many of which are suites/villas) we are talking up to 30,000 people wanting to ride this thing around the same time.... Even 15,000 would be a crazy number to all want to get into 6 person gondolas at park opening or park closing. I haven't seen capacity numbers but I would be surprised if there aren't restrictions during (at least) peak times.
Not to mention round trip per bus costs I'm guessing $50/round trip from Caribbean or Pop. Average 45 trips each day per resort is $4500 a day. $1.6mil a year.

TiggerDad

It's going to be A LOT more than $5 per night extra. I'd pay $50 - $100 to avoid the busses and have such a cool way to descend on the parks with the most amazing new attractions.... and so would lots and lots of others. Occupancy will also go up at these resorts.

In terms of Gondola Tourists.... put yourself in the shoes of someone staying on I-Drive... You can soar over Disney World for FREE? Huh? What? Who doesn't want to try that? Yes, you have to find a place to park (Disney Springs and bus it or Boardwalk) but there's lots and lots of people without a ton of cash that want to do things at Disney World. This will become target number 1 (unless, of course, it requires a Magic Band and room reservation to access...)
Except that pricing for those resorts post gondola is already public and bookable and it's not that much higher if at all.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Except that pricing for those resorts post gondola is already public and bookable and it's not that much higher if at all.
It’s simple supply and demand. Once they announce an official opening date and people start booking because of it the price is likely to go up. They could also reduce or eliminate discounts at those resorts. Maybe free dining is eliminated altogether there and/or they pull back on the 30% off rates typically offered seasonally. I wouldn’t assume that because the published rack rate for December is not increased that there won’t be a future increase or reduction of discounts.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You really think this is about the busses? Enhanced mobility is a nice byproduct...

This is about the extra $50-100/night Disney will charge for the 7,500 hotel rooms serviced by this system. We're talking a half million dollars in extra revenue PER DAY. That's $180M per year. The whole system will cost WAY less than that... What a great investment AND it will help with mobility, add something cool to WDW, and on and on.

In addition, with 7,500 rooms (many of which are suites/villas) we are talking up to 30,000 people wanting to ride this thing around the same time.... Even 15,000 would be a crazy number to all want to get into 6 person gondolas at park opening or park closing. I haven't seen capacity numbers but I would be surprised if there aren't restrictions during (at least) peak times.

OR.... the money the resorts have been paying for bus transportation will now go to gondola transportation. And Riviera will also be kicking in some more money.

Prices for these resorts all the way to Dec 31, 2019 have not risen higher than the usual increase in all resorts. At least, not yet. People, including myself, are already booking these rooms at the current price. If WDW was going to raise these resorts' prices significantly because of the gondola, they're pretty much missing their window of opportunity for this year.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
No I am sure an established voice on this forum said just before Galaxy Edge opens. Or slightly after worse case. I remember them disagreeing with my claim of spring 2019. I am sure it was wdw74. Or 99% sure.

Spirit said SWL wouldn't even get built this year. First saying that was his own personal guess based on how delayed everything WDW does is, then saying he had insider knowledge it wouldn't get done this year. So, that's the credibility of that source you're relying on.

@marni1971 has always said the gondola would be done before SWL. But that doesn't mean just days before. He never said 'shortly before.' If any insider had said that, I would have added it to the rumor tracker, but, no one did. So when WDW announced that SWL would be "Late Fall" perhaps you equated that to mean the gondolas would open shortly before SWL in the late fall.

Now, given how far along the gondolas are. And how several insiders are saying that they could theoretically be ready late May or within a few months of late May, we don't know why WDW is announcing "the Fall."

And that's where we are.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Cant wait to need to have a park hoppers to use the gondolas lol

The gondolas, like buses, ferries, and the monorail drop people off outside the gate. There is no need to have a ticket, hopper or otherwise, to ride them.

There are no tapstiles being installed for the gondolas as far as we can see, and we can see pretty much everything.

truecoat

OR.... the money the resorts have been paying for bus transportation will now go to gondola transportation. And Riviera will also be kicking in some more money.

Prices for these resorts all the way to Dec 31, 2019 have not risen higher than the usual increase in all resorts. At least, not yet. People, including myself, are already booking these rooms at the current price. If WDW was going to raise these resorts' prices significantly because of the gondola, they're pretty much missing their window of opportunity for this year.

And Pop has free dining from July through Sept.

Disone

It takes a few seconds to scan a Magic Band. I hope your right but (I just looked) at 5,000 people per hour I predict very long lines during certain periods.
Oy vey...... The gondola is going to have a much higher hourly capacity than any of the bus routes that are currently serving these resorts And their 7500 rooms. Whatever the lines are now for the buses going to Hollywood Studios and Epcot from these 7500 rooms, the gondola line will be shorter.

You have underestimated the efficiency of a departure of 8 to 10 people every 9 seconds or less vs 60 to 90 people every 10 to 15 minutes.

In just the time it would take 60 people to get on a bus, the gondola will have all 60 people in the air (suffering from stiflingly hot Suffocation and worried about being dropped into alligator-infested Waters.) On their way! :)

Last edited:

Muffinpants

why is no one talking about my worst fear with these gondolas... being stuck with 9 other people who can possibly start screaming about the heights the swaying... the potential odor from sweaty ppl in a box. I love gondola rides but im used to 2-4 people ones. Lets be honest here.. yes they fit 10 but even with my butt in there no way 10 ppl are fitting so its going to be more like 6-7 imo. Smell+screaming kids+ potential sway sickness of others.. now thats scary lol

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
why is no one talking about my worst fear with these gondolas... being stuck with 9 other people who can possibly start screaming about the heights the swaying... the potential odor from sweaty ppl in a box. I love gondola rides but im used to 2-4 people ones. Lets be honest here.. yes they fit 10 but even with my butt in there no way 10 ppl are fitting so its going to be more like 6-7 imo. Smell+screaming kids+ potential sway sickness of others.. now thats scary lol

Lots of people are talking about that. Pretty much every worst cast scenario has been covered in this post.

Movielover

Since when as having facts to back your conclusions been of any concern? ;)

db1fb21082a132407b5cc3285301a50ab9a5bfa4fff9074092a8c271ce7aafa7.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom