Wait Lines for New Gondolas

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
They cant force people to ride the gondolas, there are a lot of people afraid of heights, they are not going to make guests find their own transportation to the parks, Disney will provide a way for you to get their, makes no sense to get rid of the busses from those resorts.
Actually, they can. They "force" guests to ride the monorails and boats. People afraid of heights are going to have to avoid those resorts the same as those who get motion sickness on boats or are afraid of heights presumably avoid resorts that provide only those forms of transportation. I suppose a guest could take a bus to a different park or Disney Springs and then take another bus to DHS/EPCOT if they were adamant about avoiding the Gondolas, but I highly doubt WDW would continue to offer buses.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They cant force people to ride the gondolas, there are a lot of people afraid of heights, they are not going to make guests find their own transportation to the parks, Disney will provide a way for you to get their, makes no sense to get rid of the busses from those resorts.

Guests at the Polynesian and GF have to take the monorail or ferry, even if they have a fear of heights or boats. No buses for them. Guests at Yacht & Beach, BoardWalk, and Swolphin have to take the ferry, even if they have a fear of boats. No buses for them.

If you have a car, use that. If you don't, rent one, or use Uber/Lyft/MinnieVan. Or, take the bus to MK or DAK and then the bus from there to DHS or Epcot. Or, don't stay at the Pop, AoA, CBR, or Riviera.

nickys

Premium Member
Perception is the only difference. This is the same failure of logic made by those who argue in favour of omnimovers over vehicle loading on rides. The maximum throughput of the ride does not increase or decrease, but the perception of constant motion being better than stop-and-start lines is just that, a perception (it's ever-so-slightly more boring when you're at a standstill). If anything, omnimovers are slightly slower loading than vehicle loading rides because when something goes wrong loading a disabled guest, they slow or stop the whole ride, reducing potential capacity temporarily. Much of that delay is absorbed during the rack 'em and stack 'em (CMs sometimes refer to it as "Human Tetris") at the load, so the delays are less impactful. If a ride or transportation is loading at its maximum throughput, the line will ultimately process that number of people regardless of being an omnimover or not.

Whoah! If we’re going to digress, please explain. If you have a ride, you have to get into a vehicle. So what’s this “Omni-mover vs vehicle loading” argument about? Do you mean like, a whole train stops at BTMRR, everyone gets in and the train moves off; that’s a classic vehicle loading. As opposed to the mother of them all, the People Mover where you load from a moving platform. Not that I’m disagreeing with you. I’m fully prepared to believe you over which is quicker!

However, back to the gondolas. Somehow I’m thinking the capacity here is going to far exceed any ride, therefore when combined with the capacity a constant moving line will disperse the line quicker, no? Or would it be quicker to have 50 buses lined up in a row ....?

Cutting to the chase, even if it is only a perception I believe people will be happier waiting for a gondola than waiting for a bus. :)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not true. They can walk. It's about a 5-10 minute walk to Epcot and about 15 minutes to Hollywood.

Ah, that's true. But, what if a guest needs transportation because they can't walk that far?

But then again, the Polynesian and GF don't have a walk option and they don't have a bus option.

Dave B

Ah, that's true. But, what if a guest needs transportation because they can't walk that far?

But then again, the Polynesian and GF don't have a walk option and they don't have a bus option.
But they offer more than one way for you to get there, you guys are insinuating that it is the Gondola or nothing and there is no way that is going to happen, I guess we all will wait and see, Beer to the winner?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Whoah! If we’re going to digress, please explain. If you have a ride, you have to get into a vehicle. So what’s this “Omni-mover vs vehicle loading” argument about? Do you mean like, a whole train stops at BTMRR, everyone gets in and the train moves off; that’s a classic vehicle loading. As opposed to the mother of them all, the People Mover where you load from a moving platform. Not that I’m disagreeing with you. I’m fully prepared to believe you over which is quicker!

However, back to the gondolas. Somehow I’m thinking the capacity here is going to far exceed any ride, therefore when combined with the capacity a constant moving line will disperse the line quicker, no? Or would it be quicker to have 50 buses lined up in a row ....?

Cutting to the chase, even if it is only a perception I believe people will be happier waiting for a gondola than waiting for a bus. :)
My intent was to distinguish line speeds between omnimovers and others that have the same throughput, for the comparison, I chose to refer to non-omnimovers as vehicles, sue me. If buses run every 20 minutes and each bus loads at the exact same speed and the gondolas are considered to have double the throughput, then a line-up at the bus will move half as quickly as a line-up for the gondolas. The only time that changes is when the line isn't busy and buses or gondolas load leaving no-one in line.

There are others that only provide boats, WL (MK), SSR, POR and POFQ (Disney Springs).

Minthorne

I have a fear of buses but Disney has never compensated me with a private helicopter as I requested...

nickys

Premium Member
But they offer more than one way for you to get there, you guys are insinuating that it is the Gondola or nothing and there is no way that is going to happen, I guess we all will wait and see, Beer to the winner?

SSR, OKW, AKL (both Jambo and Kidani) only have one mode of transport. Currently it’s only some of the deluxe resorts that have a choice of transport options, and then only to one or two parks. No reason why CBR and POP/AoA should expect a choice.

You can take a bus to MK and go from there. Just like going to one of the water parks. Or cal a taxi, Uber, Lyft or Minnie Van. Or choose to stay elsewhere.

As Martin just confirmed, the business plans said “no buses”. That’s how part of the cost will be met, the resorts will contribute towards the gondola system just like the monorail resorts contribute to the monorail.

nickys

Premium Member
My intent was to distinguish line speeds between omnimovers and others that have the same throughput, for the comparison, I chose to refer to non-omnimovers as vehicles, sue me.

Eh? I wasn’t being sarcastic, I was genuinely trying to work out what you meant when you said I was thinking illogically.

So BTMRR is a vehicle ride, Nemo is an omni-Mover ride? Correct? ‘Cos otherwise I haven’t a clue what your post was about.

jloucks

The Texas State Fair has gondolas that run the length of the park. They are BIG! They seat quite few people and they load and unload like the People Mover.

Actually, that is a pretty good comparison. Imagine the people mover going between parks.

NormC

They cant force people to ride the gondolas, there are a lot of people afraid of heights, they are not going to make guests find their own transportation to the parks, Disney will provide a way for you to get there, makes no sense to get rid of the busses from those resorts.
Correct. They will be able to take a bus to an intermediate destination and switch to another bus for their final destination. Direct buses that duplicate the gondola routes will be removed. No one insinuated it would be gondolas or nothing. It has all been discussed in the Gondola thread ad nauseum.

Dave B

Correct. They will be able to take a bus to an intermediate destination and switch to another bus for their final destination. Direct buses that duplicate the gondola routes will be removed or severely cut back.
Correct, so they will have an option if they like

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Eh? I wasn’t being sarcastic, I was genuinely trying to work out what you meant when you said I was thinking illogically.

So BTMRR is a vehicle ride, Nemo is an omni-Mover ride? Correct? ‘Cos otherwise I haven’t a clue what your post was about.
OK, how about this: Vehicles that stop to load vs vehicles that don't stop to load. Two options where if the maximum throughput capacity is rated the same ("X" guests/hour), the lines will progress at the same rate, whether stop and go or continuous movement, it's the maximum throughput that determines the speed of the line. "Perception" tends to psychologically lead people to believe that the omnimover line is faster, but it's not the case. As you stated in the original post, "even if I cannot back that up with any mathematical proof", the reason you can't back it up is because it's an impression/perception, not a fact.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom