News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

The_Mesh_Hatter

Maybe they’ll find enough CMs who are big enough fans of Star Wars to go along with the shtick? But I doubt it. No one likes being the guinea pig at a new location.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

He responded to another post by another user. I never suggested changing anything. I just pointed out that even the beloved Mansion isn't perfect. We overlook the imperfections because its still a great experience. I'd love a better looking facade/queue, but that doesn't make what is currently there bad by any means.
Then I misunderstood. and I apologize and can appreciate your point in a new light.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I personally hate the Florida new queue and new Hitchhiking Ghosts. The Florida queue is far too cartoony and has supernatural interaction before we've even entered the mansion, throwing off the progression of the attraction. I know a lot of families enjoy it because it is visually interesting and interactive, but from a storytelling aspect, I think its a bit juvenile.
I wish I could give your post 1 million likes. This perfectly explains what is wrong with the FL Mansion Queue.

Old Mouseketeer

I also think this is all hearsay until it opens and we saw how they are handling immersion.

Exactly. It's not like this is something new--it's just farther along the theming continuum. Attraction CMs already use themed language and receive updates and exhortation to stay in character. We know that Lucasfilm has increased the level of control over Launch Bay, including costuming. Look at the level of themed language from the attraction and character hosts there. I'm not sure how far they will take this, but we do know they want to make it more immersive and interactive.

TP2000

Came across this video of Galaxy's Edge from above from a link on a Facebook page.

Wait a minute... is this an unofficial blogger kid with a really good drone? Flying over Disneyland and getting Star Wars Land footage for us??? And we didn't even have to send him pizzas and a case of beer to do it??? :eek:

How did this get past all of us? Who is this guy and will he be doing more drone flights?!?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Wait a minute... is this an unofficial blogger kid with a really good drone? Flying over Disneyland and getting Star Wars Land footage for us??? And we didn't even have to send him pizzas and a case of beer to do it??? :eek:

How did this get past all of us? Who is this guy and will he be doing more drone flights?!?

Looking at their Instagram, they have a high-tech professional aerial camera mounted to a plane. They're probably flying above the no-fly cylinder, or, they put in the paperwork for permission to fly through.

TP2000

Looking at their Instagram, they have a high-tech professional aerial camera mounted to a plane. They're probably flying above the no-fly cylinder, or, they put in the paperwork for permission to fly through.

Oh, they're professionals with a plane obeying FAA rules. Somehow that's a let down for me.

I would have been more impressed if this was a kid from Fullerton Junior College cutting classes with his drone. :cool:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Oh, they're professionals with a plane obeying FAA rules. Somehow that's a let down for me.

I would have been more impressed if this was a kid from Fullerton Junior College cutting classes with his drone. :cool:

Dude, you're like the urban explorer of the sky!!! You def need to put some Xs into your handle so everyone knows just how xtreme you are!!!!

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No

I'm not fully convinced this is drone footage despite the #drone hashtag they use. I think the tag is used to draw people to the post. If you look up the Gyron system they are advertising, it's way too big to put on a drone. The website shows them attached to helicopters and planes. They use them for filming movies and advertisements. They might have been filming something close by and had permission to be in that area. They don't seem to be responding to anyone's comments, so it's tough to know for sure.

Edit: You guys already discussed this while I was taking forever to post. :cool:

SSG

By David Koenig on MC

Galaxy Edges Closer
Disneyland has informed cast members that those selected to staff Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will start training for their positions in February.

Millennium-Falcon-1.jpg

Employees who have toured the new land’s two attractions confirm they are both “pretty much completed and just need those finishing touches.”

One noted the full-scale Millennium Falcon “will make a lot of visitors geek out. It’s impressive when you see it in real life.”

Cantina_Rendering_Interior.jpeg

Trepidation remains, however, among cast members who fear the worst when Star Wars Land opens and its Cantina begins serving alcohol. One offered up, “From what I have learned, Galaxy’s Edge will be treated like a pseudo-separate park, thus justifying the alcohol sales. Galaxy’s Edge is in Disneyland, but it is not part of Disneyland. Got that?”

My personal prediction is that the charade of pretending Star Wars Land is separate from Disneyland will last very briefly—only as long as employees, guests and online curmudgeons make a stink about it. The park wants to normalize booze sales as quickly as possible, so it can sell wine and beer at the Blue Bayou and beyond.

There’s also been talk of once again having “ABC” security officers to control the alcohol leaving the restaurants. A similar plan was implemented in 2001 when Disney California Adventure opened. Since at that time each alcohol-serving restaurant had its own liquor license, no one was allowed to exit the restaurant with a drink. Drinks were served in color-coded cups to identify where they came from. Of course, plenty of guests would walk out with their drinks anyways—or try sneaking them out in a different cup. It was the job of the poor ABC officers to confront guests drinking in the wrong place from a wrong-colored cup.

britain

By David Koenig on MC

Galaxy Edges Closer
Disneyland has informed cast members that those selected to staff Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will start training for their positions in February.

Millennium-Falcon-1.jpg

Employees who have toured the new land’s two attractions confirm they are both “pretty much completed and just need those finishing touches.”

One noted the full-scale Millennium Falcon “will make a lot of visitors geek out. It’s impressive when you see it in real life.”

Cantina_Rendering_Interior.jpeg

Trepidation remains, however, among cast members who fear the worst when Star Wars Land opens and its Cantina begins serving alcohol. One offered up, “From what I have learned, Galaxy’s Edge will be treated like a pseudo-separate park, thus justifying the alcohol sales. Galaxy’s Edge is in Disneyland, but it is not part of Disneyland. Got that?”

My personal prediction is that the charade of pretending Star Wars Land is separate from Disneyland will last very briefly—only as long as employees, guests and online curmudgeons make a stink about it. The park wants to normalize booze sales as quickly as possible, so it can sell wine and beer at the Blue Bayou and beyond.

There’s also been talk of once again having “ABC” security officers to control the alcohol leaving the restaurants. A similar plan was implemented in 2001 when Disney California Adventure opened. Since at that time each alcohol-serving restaurant had its own liquor license, no one was allowed to exit the restaurant with a drink. Drinks were served in color-coded cups to identify where they came from. Of course, plenty of guests would walk out with their drinks anyways—or try sneaking them out in a different cup. It was the job of the poor ABC officers to confront guests drinking in the wrong place from a wrong-colored cup.

Gosh, training in February? Could we see soft-opens / special paid-entry events around Spring Break?

Gosh, training in February? Could we see soft-opens / special paid-entry events around Spring Break?

Yeah it's going to be interesting to see how this turns out. When I first read your comment I thought the level of immersion we're expecting would require more than just a month of training. But with all the difficulties we've been discussing for a while now, earlier events to test out things wouldn't be that weird.

How does this compare to other huge expansions? I found articles and videos about CM training for Pandora, posted about one month before opening. Not sure when they really started the trainings though but considering the difference between both projects, training somewhere in February for SW:GE might be less crazy than I thought at first.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom