Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janir

Old Fantasyland needs to go. It looked dated 20 years ago and the ‘new’ area only heightens that. In fact, Fantasyland looks in bad shape compared to most of the others in the world. As the flagship area in the flagship resort, it not a good reflection on Disney. It so desperately needs more dark rides too... The Disneyland ride count in Fantasyland puts MK to shame.

Yeah, they need to complete the "makeover" in FantasyLand soon or something. The contrast stands out too much.

PorterRedkey

I remember not too long ago (10 years or less?) where the high's in France were around 95 and like 500 people died due to not having air conditioning... I don't remember the exact number of people who died, but it was weirdly high.
I was there last year and it was that hot as well. The Paris parks had my skin burning.🥵

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I was there last year and it was that hot as well. The Paris parks had my skin burning.🥵
I would think the difference when it comes to park design is that Central Florida is hot, humid, sunny, and stormy all at once for at least 9/10 months out of the year. And the cold season never gets cold enough to snow nor does it stay consistently cold.

DinoInstitute

I think too many are hung up on it being in a castle park and can't envision it elsewhere. I get it.
I agree with you, but this is why it will never happen. Too many people in the general audience will think of IASW as an MK attraction and not understand that the attraction physically moved, leaving a lot of unhappy guests.

Aside from that, there’s not really a good place for it in Epcot. I don’t really see it working anywhere other than the center of WS, which of course is taken by American Adventure. Alas, as you said this is all just hypothetical anyway!

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I agree with you, but this is why it will never happen. Too many people in the general audience will think of IASW as an MK attraction and not understand that the attraction physically moved, leaving a lot of unhappy guests.

Aside from that, there’s not really a good place for it in Epcot. I don’t really see it working anywhere other than the center of WS, which of course is taken by American Adventure. Alas, as you said this is all just hypothetical anyway!
Odyssey. One transition spot between WS and FW. CoP on the other side. I’ve liked this idea for years myself.

RSoxNo1

Odyssey. One transition spot between WS and FW. CoP on the other side. I’ve liked this idea for years myself.
As fans we argue that characters belong in Fantasyland and Disney clearly has no problem forgetting or ignoring that premise. Why shouldn't the opposite also be true where non-character driven rides don't belong in Fantasyland?

There is no ride Disney has ever built that better combines the original view of Future World and World Showcase than it's a small world.

I would put it on or around the Odyssey's footprint. I'd also like to change the entrance to Soarin' so that it's in Showcase Plaza as well, but I honestly think that's a harder logical sell than moving it's a small world.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
As fans we argue that characters belong in Fantasyland and Disney clearly has no problem forgetting or ignoring that premise. Why shouldn't the opposite also be true where non-character driven rides don't belong in Fantasyland?

There is no ride Disney has ever built that better combines the original view of Future World and World Showcase than it's a small world.

I would put it on or around the Odyssey's footprint. I'd also like to change the entrance to Soarin' so that it's in Showcase Plaza as well, but I honestly think that's a harder logical sell than moving it's a small world.
Changing the entrance location of Soarin’ is straightforward logically at the moment. However, it would last for 7 months before Soarin’ was updated to, “Swamp boating around the Everglades with Tiana’s friends”.

jt04

IMO, moving IASW would be a waste of money. Improve the facade so it's not a tacky tent and voila. The attraction is great and just needs a refurb, no changes needed.

This doesn't fix the bottleneck, or allow FL to expand (which is definitely needed), or allow a path around to Frontierland's expansion pad.

And if Fantasyland doesn't expand expect more characters in WS that may not fit like that infamous glass slipper. See Frozen for example. Not that I think Frozenstorm was the worst idea ever.

mikejs78

Premium Member
This doesn't fix the bottleneck, or allow FL to expand (which is definitely needed), or allow a path around to Frontierland's expansion pad.

And if Fantasyland doesn't expand expect more characters in WS that may not fit like that infamous glass slipper. See Frozen for example. Not that I think Frozenstorm was the worst idea ever.
There are expansion pads in FL without removing IaSW.

jt04

There are expansion pads in FL without removing IaSW.

They can't make that a dead end IMO. Logistically, if they ever want to use that area a wide path will have to be created around the waterway and emerging between HM and IaSW. Anything like this is likely late 2020's though. All conjecture.

I think this was one of the reasons the rumored Frontierland theater got relocated to msusa. Bottleneck nightmare.

TTA94

Honestly, I won't believe any big celebration is happening until I'm standing in Magic Kingdom witnessing it with my own two eyes. TWDC's disdain for WDW is painfully obvious and while it has been stated they're aware of what needs to be done, its not the same as actually doing said things.

Like a new nighttime parade lol. I feel those plans are not solid... and if they are, what is it exactly MK will be getting. Hopefully a actual “light parade” and not some new concept like a street party, projection show type thing. I would hope WDW wouldn’t pull a “Light Magic” on us but it wouldn’t surprise me. We have to remember a “Nighttime Parade” and a “Light Parade” are two different things in some people’s minds.

Last edited:

jt04

An easier and more likely outcome will be a new film themed to the pavilion whatever that may be in the future. Post 50th Anniversary I am sure.

capsshield

I think moving small world to Epcot could or would work well. The ride will be fifty years old and could use a big refresh and change. It could anchor the World Showcase and become the Weenie for that side of the park and get updates to keep it strong for another 50 years.

Disney really should then look at revamping the dark rides in Fantasyland starting with the then vacant IASW. Turn the space into a Tangled Ride.

Next Move Mickey's Philharmagic to the studios, by using the Little Mermaid show space in the studios for Mickeys show.

Then combine the space with Pan's for a grander upgraded experience using a different IP like Pinocchio.

The Princess hall should then combine with Pooh for a bigger better experience "D" becomes "E" upgrades.

Beauty gets a Ride like France is getting behind the Restaurant.

Next to that and behind the Circus build Neverland. Then move Peter Pan to the new Neverland area of Fantasyland.

Remove and replace the circus area with Wonderland and an Alice Ride.

I know this may sound like a big project but the classic dark rides were great family experiences that said Disney like little else. This kind of change would make fantasyland a must see land for the next 30 to 50 years and keep these time tested IP's in the publics eye.

I worry that the attractions are falling behind the newer rides like Shanghi Pirates or Mystic Manor, and could really use some big changes to stay relevant and competitive. Changes that could actually require teardown and reconstruction.

A great example of outdating a ride is the Jungle Cruise ride, once you've rode Kilimanjaro Safari the JC ride is almost embarrassing. Update the JC ride with Dinosaurs and it becomes must ride again.

With the 50th coming up Disney really should be looking at keeping it's Parks Lands, and rides relevant for another 50 years. They probably need a twenty to twenty-five year plan to expand and revamp and rebuild the entire park.

PaulZ

I don’t know why it seems people really think this is going to happen. They aren’t moving “It’s a Small World.” Short of moving it to a scrap heap it wouldn’t make me happy anyway.

jt04

I think moving small world to Epcot could or would work well. The ride will be fifty years old and could use a big refresh and change. It could anchor the World Showcase and become the Weenie for that side of the park and get updates to keep it strong for another 50 years.

Disney really should then look at revamping the dark rides in Fantasyland starting with the then vacant IASW. Turn the space into a Tangled Ride.

Next Move Mickey's Philharmagic to the studios, by using the Little Mermaid show space in the studios for Mickeys show.

Then combine the space with Pan's for a grander upgraded experience using a different IP like Pinocchio.

The Princess hall should then combine with Pooh for a bigger better experience "D" becomes "E" upgrades.

Beauty gets a Ride like France is getting behind the Restaurant.

Next to that and behind the Circus build Neverland. Then move Peter Pan to the new Neverland area of Fantasyland.

Remove and replace the circus area with Wonderland and an Alice Ride.

I know this may sound like a big project but the classic dark rides were great family experiences that said Disney like little else. This kind of change would make fantasyland a must see land for the next 30 to 50 years and keep these time tested IP's in the publics eye.

I worry that the attractions are falling behind the newer rides like Shanghi Pirates or Mystic Manor, and could really use some big changes to stay relevant and competitive. Changes that could actually require teardown and reconstruction.

A great example of outdating a ride is the Jungle Cruise ride, once you've rode Kilimanjaro Safari the JC ride is almost embarrassing. Update the JC ride with Dinosaurs and it becomes must ride again.

With the 50th coming up Disney really should be looking at keeping it's Parks Lands, and rides relevant for another 50 years. They probably need a twenty to twenty-five year plan to expand and revamp and rebuild the entire park.

If they ever move iasw they would tear down the building also. There is a lot of land behind the building that could be utilized it the structure was removed. Plus the land it sits on. Likely wouldn't happen until 2022 at the earliest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom