News Monorail Red in motion with guests on board and doors open

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Incorrect...to me this is no different than the crash when NTSB and OSHA slammed them. Good thing those agencies where properly run then.

It is their responsibility to run with all contingency planned for - or immediate mitigate.

This is an elevated system...stakes are pretty high. A school bus on stilts. You must address door problems immediately.

Think they’ll retrofit 11 trains? Or “rub some dirt on it”?

And I know this isn’t popular...but Disney’s encouragement of “recreational” EcVs has been a problem since day 1. It has...that’s not a popular opinion...so go ahead flame if you want.
The solution is to not allow ECVs on the Monorail. Wonder how that would go over?

Brad Bishop

The problem is that this just brings further attention to WDW not replacing their fleet.

People don't see it as: "Everything running smoothly and some dolt broke the monorail."

They see it as: "Disney not doing proper maintenance, the monorail fleet is 10 years overdue for a replacement, and more door problems"

Each time this stuff happens there's always a rush to blame the guest and shield Disney from blame. Sometimes it is the guests fault.

At the end of the day, though, WDW has decided to ride the Monorails until they fall off the tracks. That's a business decision that they have made. This while commanding premium prices from guests. They're slowly ruining their own reputation or, at the very least, not living up to expectations, and, eventually, something will have to give. You can't expect guests to keep coming at top dollar and not keep things up and running.

If they are actually above to screw it up so bad that they start to be known at the costly park who doesn't do regular maintenance, it's going to be a tough hole to crawl out of, if they can.

Business is more than the bottom line. You keep the guests happy and the bottom line will take care of itself. Focus solely on the bottom line and you'll be scrambling to keep it going.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The guest also went against the contract they signed for the ECV ... with having a child on their lap.
I've had to confront visitors who insist that it's OK to do so because "we're leaving." Or "he's tired." Or "but I do it on my own scooter all the time."

Or all of a sudden they don't speak English any more...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
How can a scooter run into the open monorail door when traveling on the beam? 🤔
It's WDW's attempt to re-create the infamous Rocket Rods attraction by allowing ECV riders to tool around the Seven Seas Lagoon on the monorail beam...
scooterail.jpg

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
sxX2yYr.jpg

1) The guest
2) I can't say there is or isn't, but I have enough experience with broken monorails to believe it is probable that there was an underlying maintenance issue.
Looking at the photo, the door seems to be well past the bottom of the monorail itself. It appears to either be hanging on by a thread or completely detached from the monorail and caught on a piece of the beam.

ABQ

Looking at the photo, the door seems to be well past the bottom of the monorail itself. It appears to either be hanging on by a thread or completely detached from the monorail and caught on a piece of the beam.
Well it's inverted, so it may be that the lower hinge is still attached and it broke from the upper hinge entirely and the thread it's hanging on, is the lower. The window on the monorail doors is only on the upper half, unlike a bus for example.

prberk

OK, I have scrolled through several of the last few pages and got the gist that an ECV hit the monorail "with no one on board the monorail," but I am still not sure how.

Can we please stop using old threads to describe new incidents? It has become ridiculous around here. It used to be easy to determine real news of a new incident on these boards, because it would have a new thread. (Imagine that! A new thread with an accurate title for the incident under discussion and with the main news on page one!) Sorry for the rant. I just hate the current trend here to have endless threads where it is hard to find the actual news.

Rteetz

I've had to confront visitors who insist that it's OK to do so because "we're leaving." Or "he's tired." Or "but I do it on my own scooter all the time."

Or all of a sudden they don't speak English any more...
Exactly, so it’s possible the CM did tell the guest the child should not be on the ECV but we don’t know that of course.

Rteetz

OK, I have scrolled through several of the last few pages and got the gist that an ECV hit the monorail "with no one on board the monorail," but I am still not sure how.

Can we please stop using old threads to describe new incidents? It has become ridiculous around here. It used to be easy to determine real news of a new incident on these boards, because it would have a new thread. (Imagine that! A new thread with an accurate title for the incident under discussion and with the main news on page one!) Sorry for the rant. I just hate the current trend here to have endless threads where it is hard to find the actual news.
I gave an accurate description of what happened in this thread a few pages ago.

prberk

I gave an accurate description of what happened in this thread a few pages ago.
With all due respect, that comment did not help. As I said, "I have scrolled through several of the last few pages..." and didn't find it. My larger point is that we should go back to the practice of starting a new thread when new incidents occur. That way three things happen:
1. We know when a new incident occurs (as opposed to page 63 of a discussion on an incident from Dec. 12, 1947), and
2. We can find the new incident details more easily (on page one or in the title), and
3. The title actually reflects the incident being discussed. If I came on here looking for an incident about monorail lime's door falling off last week, I would not think it should be in a thread from last Spring specifically titled as a discussion of monorail red riding along, even if it is with doors open (not off).

Rteetz

With all due respect, that comment did not help. As I said, "I have scrolled through several of the last few pages..." and didn't find it. My larger point is that we should go back to the practice of starting a new thread when new incidents occur. That way three things happen:
1. We know when a new incident occurs (as opposed to page 63 of a discussion on an incident from Dec. 12, 1947), and
2. We can find the new incident details more easily (on page one or in the title), and
3. The title actually reflects the incident being discussed. If I came on here looking for an incident about monorail lime's door falling off last week, I would not think it should be in a thread from last Spring specifically titled as a discussion of monorail red riding along, even if it is with doors open (not off).
Here is the report I have...

A guest utilizing an ECV with a child in their lap lost control coming up the ramp and hit the door full speed. The door initially bucked from the train after the impact and the cast quickly deadheaded the car and notified maintenance. While trying to realign the door and secure it for the train to travel to MK for a further inspection the door came disconnected from the top actuator arm and fell down. There was no guests in the car at that time. From there the train was deadheaded and put out of service. Nothing failed on the train or was damaged. The door was pushed up during impact, the bottom actuator was bent up and the top slipped off of its mounting point.
I attached my description. As for starting new threads no one is stopping you from doing so. People just started discussing it here instead.

Missing20K

The solution is to not allow ECVs on the Monorail. Wonder how that would go over?

This is illegal, according to the Americans with Disabilities Act. Unless Disney would be willing to provide "complimentary paratransit service", i.e. door-to-door (or curb-to-curb) service for those individuals with a disability. (Looking at you Minnie Vans)

I think they should require a prescription to rent. If you're disabled, injured or sick in some manner, this shouldn't be an issue.

While not necessarily a prescription, private entities are allowed to ask to see a "State-issued disability parking placard or card or a State-issued proof of disability, that must be accepted as credible assurance on its face."

Link here: Americans with Disablities Act - Wheelchairs, Mobility Aids, and Other Power-Driven Mobiltiy Devices.

aliceismad

This is illegal, according to the Americans with Disabilities Act. Unless Disney would be willing to provide "complimentary paratransit service", i.e. door-to-door (or curb-to-curb) service for those individuals with a disability. (Looking at you Minnie Vans)

Link here: Americans with Disablities Act - Wheelchairs, Mobility Aids, and Other Power-Driven Mobiltiy Devices.
Agreed. You can't get from the monorail resorts to Epcot via direct bus, unless the monorail is down. So disallowing ECVs on monorails would open a huge can of worms because Disney would have to provide more transportation options. And if those options were deemed "special" or "quicker" by certain unscrupulous members of the population, I'm sure they would take to using ECVs purely to get the "better" transportation option.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom