Minnie Vans

Marc Davis Fan

I'm thinking of using the Minnie Van service once or twice when bringing a friend on her first-ever WDW visit next year, e.g., to return to POR after a dinner at AKL (so that we don't have to transfer buses).

I would be very interested in people's opinions on this: Does the Minnie Van experience (as opposed to taking the bus) contribute to or take away from the "Disney Bubble" feeling? I know that the buses aren't "magical" like the monorails and boats, but they still feel like something more special than being driven in a car (e.g., the fact that they're a large urban transportation system operated by Disney is actually pretty impressive, and riding them is participating in this amazing "Disney city," etc). Do the Minnie Vans feel more like the "real world" (since they're not a centralized Disney urban transportation system, but rather just someone driving you in a car on a road), or do the Cast Member drivers and design touches make them feel like part of the "Disney experience"?

I hope my question makes sense. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

andrew870

Is the Minnie van a viable solution for moving between port Orleans French quarter and wilderness Lodge? If so what kinda costs?

TrojanUSC

Is the Minnie van a viable solution for moving between port Orleans French quarter and wilderness Lodge? If so what kinda costs?

It’s a perfectly viable option but there’s no real reason to use Minnievan over Uber Select or the Lyft equivalent. These will run about half the price. Minnievan is completely fine for this too, but other than polkadots and Disney music, there’s no benefit in this case. The difference would be to MK or Fort Wilderness, where Minnievan has access traditional Uber and Lyft do not.

TrojanUSC

I'm thinking of using the Minnie Van service once or twice when bringing a friend on her first-ever WDW visit next year, e.g., to return to POR after a dinner at AKL (so that we don't have to transfer buses).

I would be very interested in people's opinions on this: Does the Minnie Van experience (as opposed to taking the bus) contribute to or take away from the "Disney Bubble" feeling? I know that the buses aren't "magical" like the monorails and boats, but they still feel like something more special than being driven in a car (e.g., the fact that they're a large urban transportation system operated by Disney is actually pretty impressive, and riding them is participating in this amazing "Disney city," etc). Do the Minnie Vans feel more like the "real world" (since they're not a centralized Disney urban transportation system, but rather just someone driving you in a car on a road), or do the Cast Member drivers and design touches make them feel like part of the "Disney experience"?

The drivers are very chatty Disney cast members. The bus transfer from resort to resort is tedious at best. Just consider taking a standard Uber or Lyft, im sure your friend will appreciate the fifteen minute ride vs 45-60 minute when you include transfer time. Other than Polkadots and Disney music, the cars aren’t any more Disney or that much nicer. Save the extra money and put it towards a Minnievan pick-up from the MK bus loop on a busy fireworks night.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

The drivers are very chatty Disney cast members. The bus transfer from resort to resort is tedious at best. Just consider taking a standard Uber or Lyft, im sure your friend will appreciate the fifteen minute ride vs 45-60 minute when you include transfer time. Other than Polkadots and Disney music, the cars aren’t any more Disney or that much nicer. Save the extra money and put it towards a Minnievan pick-up from the MK bus loop on a busy fireworks night.
Some of the CM's at BLT told me the other day that most of the uber and lyft people on property are actually just other CM's trying to make extra money. Although literally every lyft driver we used didn't speak a word of English and my thick southern twang didn't help the matters either. LOL! At one point when we were going to EPCOT I told the driver to just drop us off at Beach Club and we'd go in the backdoor of EPCOT and he pulls up to Swan and Dolphin with a baffled look on his face and in broken English says "Here?" and I just counted my losses and said "...sure..." HA!

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Before you do this....

Check the common price of non-Disney transportation? There appear to be TWO of you. Consider the lowly CAB, provided by MEARS. No strangers, safe, and the greatest price we have seen (one way, WL to Dolphin), is about $27 with 20% tip. Sandy and I use CABS, often. We don't choose to use UBER or LYFT.

Now, MV is cuter :). But not sure I would rate this as an "experience". MV's are GREAT for anyone wanting to be dropped off IN the MK bus lot, or a family with multiple infant car seats.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

ninjaprincesst

It’s a perfectly viable option but there’s no real reason to use Minnievan over Uber Select or the Lyft equivalent. These will run about half the price. Minnievan is completely fine for this too, but other than polkadots and Disney music, there’s no benefit in this case. The difference would be to MK or Fort Wilderness, where Minnie
van has access traditional Uber and Lyft do not.
Well the reason would be safety, saving a little money is not worth compromising safety. We all tell our kids don't talk to strangers, never get in a car with a stranger, now we tell them to order themselves up a stranger to get in the car with. I work for a medical courier and I know of more than one applicant that we refused to hire due to mile long criminal records that were already driving with Uber. One of these people's record included multiple DWI charges as well as a sexual assault charge. I would rather pay extra and know it was a Disney employee driving the minnie van, than get a dial a criminal from Uber.

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

Some of the CM's at BLT told me the other day that most of the uber and lyft people on property are actually just other CM's trying to make extra money. Although literally every lyft driver we used didn't speak a word of English and my thick southern twang didn't help the matters either. LOL! At one point when we were going to EPCOT I told the driver to just drop us off at Beach Club and we'd go in the backdoor of EPCOT and he pulls up to Swan and Dolphin with a baffled look on his face and in broken English says "Here?" and I just counted my losses and said "...sure..." HA!

I'd stick with Uber Select (and whatever the Lyft equivalent is). The economy options have always been a bit iffy.
Well the reason would be safety, saving a little money is not worth compromising safety. We all tell our kids don't talk to strangers, never get in a car with a stranger, now we tell the to order themselves up a stranger to get in the car with. I work for a medical courier and I know of more than one applicant that we refused to hire due to mile long criminal records that were already driving with Uber. One of these people's record included multiple DWI charges as well as a sexual assault charge. i would rather pay xtra and know it was a Disney employee driving the minnie van, than get a dial a criminal from Uber.

Sorry but Uber requires a full background check to drive for them, so does Lyft. So this anecdotal evidence isn't particularly helpful or accurate. While it's possible a third party could be driving, impersonating the Uber-sanctioned driver, this is cause for termination of the driver and is no different than the risk of taking a taxi. This kind of ignorance is what Disney is banking on when you fork over nearly 3 times the cost of a standard ride share.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/04/12/technology/uber-safety-update/index.html

Driver

There are a few CM's that drive Uber/lyft but as I said once already ( and was severely scolded) Uber/Lyft are not at all popular with Disney management because of the haphazard way they drive and break Disney rules (safety). Typically CM's that drive Uber/Lyft don't stay at it long. Mostly because the pay is not good and the clients ask to get dropped off in areas that are not allowed. The CM knows this and does not want to put their job in jeopardy. Uber/Lyft will drop you off in the high speed lane of I-4 if they think you will give them a good rating. So the battle continues, don't be surprised if you see more restrictions on these entities in the future.

ninjaprincesst

I'd stick with Uber Select (and whatever the Lyft equivalent is). The economy options have always been a bit iffy.

Sorry but Uber requires a full background check to drive for them, so does Lyft. So this anecdotal evidence isn't particularly helpful or accurate. While it's possible a third party could be driving, impersonating the Uber-sanctioned driver, this is cause for termination of the driver and is no different than the risk of taking a taxi. This kind of ignorance is what Disney is banking on when you fork over nearly 3 times the cost of a standard ride share.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/04/12/technology/uber-safety-update/index.html
That is what I thought , but I personally pulled criminal backgrounds on over 20 different people so far that are already driving for Uber that have extensive criminal history, including DWI, sexual assaults, theft, and sadly several had child charges.

TrojanUSC

That is what I thought , but I personally pulled criminal backgrounds on over 20 different people so far that are already driving for Uber that have extensive criminal history, including DWI, sexual assaults, theft, and sadly several had child **** charges.

Not saying I don't believe you but their background check process is quite strict and there's lots of examples of people who have been rejected. I've had well over 200+ Uber rides and never once had a problem with a driver. It's overblown clickbait that they are somehow a menacing danger. No different than taxi drivers. In fact, most people driving on Disney property are cast members just trying to supplement Disney's low salary.

ninjaprincesst

Not saying I don't believe you but their background check process is quite strict and there's lots of examples of people who have been rejected. I've had well over 200+ Uber rides and never once had a problem with a driver. It's overblown clickbait that they are somehow a menacing danger. No different than taxi drivers. In fact, most people driving on Disney property are cast members just trying to supplement Disney's low salary.
Well with the large number of incidents I have heard of and the confirmed people that are currently employed by both Uber and lift my child will get in one.

aliceismad

If MVs are driven by knowledgeable CMs, are their stories and friendliness worth the increased price of MV vs. Lyft/Uber?

DisneyOutsider

Well the reason would be safety, saving a little money is not worth compromising safety. We all tell our kids don't talk to strangers, never get in a car with a stranger, now we tell them to order themselves up a stranger to get in the car with. I work for a medical courier and I know of more than one applicant that we refused to hire due to mile long criminal records that were already driving with Uber. One of these people's record included multiple DWI charges as well as a sexual assault charge. I would rather pay extra and know it was a Disney employee driving the minnie van, than get a dial a criminal from Uber.

Honestly you're just fear-mongering. These drivers aren't strangers... they have no anonymity. The technology knows exactly who they are and the parent company has background checks on all of them.

It's just the same as saying you don't eat at restaurants because you were told to never accept food prepared and served by strangers.

DisneyOutsider

If MVs are driven by knowledgeable CMs, are their stories and friendliness worth the increased price of MV vs. Lyft/Uber?

I would say no. It's not like they are giving a performance. I'm sure they'll be happy to answer any questions you may have, but it's nothing you can't find out by googling or asking here. Many of the Uber and Lyft drivers in the area are also very friendly, as your rating of them is basically their livelihood.

righttrack

I'm a big Uber/Lyft user. I don't ever try to have a conversation with them. It's all in the app. The idea is it's quick and you get dropped off where you drop the pin and picked up the same. Mostly they are limo drivers and taxi drivers looking to pick up some extra money.

Driver

You forgot to mention Minnie Vans get better access to parks for p/u and drop off. To some that makes a big difference especially if they have mobility issues.

PeoplemoverTTA

So, my experiences are a bit unique, but I'll share them nonetheless. One of my experiences in August most definitely took us out of the "bubble."

My 6-month old daughter was fried and MK was closing, so we ordered a Minnie Van. We waited quite awhile, but our driver finally came and set up the car seat. He was very chatty, so it took awhile and my daughter was crying, but hey, babies cry.

She settled down in the car, and chatty driver continued...he told us his entire life story. How he had been fired from his last job, how he was molested as a child (I kid you not)...it was the worst ride ever. Oh, and we were staying at POP. He kept talking, and talking...

and pulled into the All-Stars. You know, across property. He had been talking SO Much (and I was tending to my daughter in the backseat...my husband is apparently clueless), that he forgot where we were staying! In all that time, we could have just waited for the darn bus from MK, and not have had to have our vacation from reality spoiled by hearing this poor guy's life story (especially the part about being molested). Like holy moly - really?! It was awful.

Our next experience was with my sister, brother in law and nephew as well. 6 of us, with two car seats. From POP to Epcot. The driver was fantastic, loaded up two car seats pretty quickly, and she turned on parks music in the van. It was really nice.

Our third experience was again from MK at park close. The system kept kicking us off and wouldn't request a Minnie Van driver. Others had difficulties, but walked up after us and got Minnie Vans. WDW security CMs happened to be there and felt SO awful that they couldn't help us, they gave us all the free fast passes they had (we didn't ask and never would have, but they felt so badly). We had all 3 adults in our party requesting minnie vans, but all of us kept getting kicked out of the queue without a driver (iPhone and android, so not a platform or phone issue). People kept walking up, waiting a few minutes and getting minnie vans. Eventually we gave up and went back to the bus stop. It ended up taking us over 2 hours from the time we left the MK to get back to our hotel. With a 6-month old. Thankfully she slept through pretty much all of it.

I'm sure a lot of the technical kinks have been worked out in the last 3 months, but I wanted to share our experiences. There was more "bad" than good for us (and I don't blame anyone, although that first driver was really a mess), but I don't think the system is inherently bad. It was just frustrating.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

So, my experiences are a bit unique, but I'll share them nonetheless. One of my experiences in August most definitely took us out of the "bubble."

My 6-month old daughter was fried and MK was closing, so we ordered a Minnie Van. We waited quite awhile, but our driver finally came and set up the car seat. He was very chatty, so it took awhile and my daughter was crying, but hey, babies cry.

She settled down in the car, and chatty driver continued...he told us his entire life story. How he had been fired from his last job, how he was molested as a child (I kid you not)...it was the worst ride ever. Oh, and we were staying at POP. He kept talking, and talking...

and pulled into the All-Stars. You know, across property. He had been talking SO Much (and I was tending to my daughter in the backseat...my husband is apparently clueless), that he forgot where we were staying! In all that time, we could have just waited for the darn bus from MK, and not have had to have our vacation from reality spoiled by hearing this poor guy's life story (especially the part about being molested). Like holy moly - really?! It was awful.

Our next experience was with my sister, brother in law and nephew as well. 6 of us, with two car seats. From POP to Epcot. The driver was fantastic, loaded up two car seats pretty quickly, and she turned on parks music in the van. It was really nice.

Our third experience was again from MK at park close. The system kept kicking us off and wouldn't request a Minnie Van driver. Others had difficulties, but walked up after us and got Minnie Vans. WDW security CMs happened to be there and felt SO awful that they couldn't help us, they gave us all the free fast passes they had (we didn't ask and never would have, but they felt so badly). We had all 3 adults in our party requesting minnie vans, but all of us kept getting kicked out of the queue without a driver (iPhone and android, so not a platform or phone issue). People kept walking up, waiting a few minutes and getting minnie vans. Eventually we gave up and went back to the bus stop. It ended up taking us over 2 hours from the time we left the MK to get back to our hotel. With a 6-month old. Thankfully she slept through pretty much all of it.

I'm sure a lot of the technical kinks have been worked out in the last 3 months, but I wanted to share our experiences. There was more "bad" than good for us (and I don't blame anyone, although that first driver was really a mess), but I don't think the system is inherently bad. It was just frustrating.
I can not believe he told you about that! Man! That's insane! The Minnie Van driver we had was from New Zealand and was really nice and he was chatty too but so are we so we didn't mind. I always feel like when I'm talking to a CM that I'm just talking to another person who's as much of a Disney nerd as me so I don't mind that. I definitely can say that I feel more comfortable with a CM than I do just a regular UBER or Lyft driver but still think the Disney prices are just way over the top. I wish they could charge UBER and Lyft prices to keep them off the property but I know that wouldn't be profitable.

Driver

He is supposed to stay in character..... that knuckle head should be fired!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom