News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What's missing at the moment is any indications on the public permits of any physical connection. The permits all point to some type of shuttle bus or tram that would run on surface roads.
Shuttle bus was listed as one of the “options that I grasped” ;) In my opinion it’s also the most likely outcome. If they go with a bus, it’s still unkown whether that bus takes you to a back door or the front entrance.

Phil12

Your post got me thinking about the question of what experience would provide the most plausible experience. So we start of on some other planet, perhaps Earth, but maybe not. Then we travel for a while in space, hyperspace, then space again, and finally end up either in orbit around Batuu or having landed at the spaceport of Batuu, near the outpost which is SW:GE.

How do I best simulate travel from the spaceship to the outpost? People seem to advocate for one of two options, plus I'll add in the worse choices:
1. Walk through what seems to be a parking lot on Earth.
2. Board a decent simulation of a wheeled vehicle to travel from the landing site to the outpost.
3. Board what's likely to be an unconvincing shuttle craft from orbit to a landing at the outpost.
4. Walk through a quarter mile of themed corridor that is supposed to be part of the ship between (wherever you are on the ship) to the air lock.
5. Walk down a quarter mile "jetway" from the ship to the spaceport docking bay.
The decent simulation you spoke of would most likely be their choice. After all, they still have those old hydrolators from Sea Base Alpha that could easily be re-themed to simulate traveling through a strange atmosphere and, of course, the air lock is already part of the hydrolators.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The decent simulation you spoke of would most likely be their choice. After all, they still have those old hydrolators from Sea Base Alpha that could easily be re-themed to simulate traveling through a strange atmosphere and, of course, the air lock is already part of the hydrolators.
I think it would be very cool to add something along those lines and it’s very practical from a cost standpoint, few moving parts and not a lot of labor to operate. Of course what I think is cool isn’t necessarily all that relevant I guess :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How much would a physical connector cost to build? I guess it would have to be elevated above the vehicle crossings, right? And either be a new bridge over the canal or somehow share the existing bridge.
I the long run I would think a physical connector would be the cheapest option since it would have the smallest on-going operating cost.
Agreed on the cost. The plans that currently exist don’t appear to show any planning for the footers for an elevated walk and I agree it would need to have a way to cross vehicle roads and the canal so a ground level path seems impractical.

One possibility is that flyniibus’s thinking is correct and there will never be a physical connection between the hotel and the park. It’s also possible that they will have a back entrance for the resort to use but it will start out using a bus to transport guests there and then based on how that goes they could add a permanent walkway later. This way they have some time to see if the physical connection to the park works with the experience without building something as permanent as an elevated walkway. If guest surveys come back pro or con visiting the park during the stay that may shape how they handle things going forward.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
will the Disney security personnel who check bags be dressed as stormtroopers?

If there is a connection (which we believe there wil I'll be) in theory, you just make the hotel be within the secure zone and then there is no need to recheck guests. It doesn't seem the hotel has a parking lot which implies that they'll make people park elsewhere and be otherwise "transported" to the hotel. Make a small "terminal" where they check bags (just like at an airport) before transporting you to the hotel and you could effectively keep the entire hotel within the secure zone.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If there is a connection (which we believe there wil I'll be) in theory, you just make the hotel be within the secure zone and then there is no need to recheck guests. It doesn't seem the hotel has a parking lot which implies that they'll make people park elsewhere and be otherwise "transported" to the hotel. Make a small "terminal" where they check bags (just like at an airport) before transporting you to the hotel and you could effectively keep the entire hotel within the secure zone.
It would be possible to do it this way, but there’s a lot of variables with a whole resort that are hard to control. Many workers would have to come and go each day. I would think it would be more likely that they would just have a screener at the entrance to the park. The security checkpoints look for the obvious scary stuff (bombs, guns, knives, chemicals, dudes dressed in full Peter Pan costumes) but they also stop people visibly drunk or on drugs from getting in. One could argue that a decade or two ago we didn’t have the metal detectors and baggage checks and the parks were fine, but they won’t/can’t go back now.
Expectations being set very high here for the eventual disappointment.
It’s what we do:)

In reality though I would hope if there’s a secret back door into SW:GE for the SW Resort that the CMs at that gate would be in costume. Doesn’t necessarily need to be a storm trooper but that would be pretty cool. The ones walking around Launch Bay are quite entertaining.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The hotel will have a parking lot.

raymusiccity

Shuttle bus was listed as one of the “options that I grasped” ;) In my opinion it’s also the most likely outcome. If they go with a bus, it’s still unkown whether that bus takes you to a back door or the front entrance.

Knowing Disney, they'll probably team up with some product placement for their shuttle bus as well !

Bus.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom