Matterhorn and Pinocchio getting refurbished starting July 30th, 2018

britain

I agree with you; those footings are pretty close for a monorail change. But I also agree with Fresh Baked; it's too much to hold an awning. So what could go there?

Hmm... could be fountains? Planters for large trees? The 'awnings' could even be more architecturally substantial like more swiss buildings but their shape and size don't really support that idea.

FerretAfros

Fresh Baked seems to be the only one out there paying attention to the Matterhorn queue changes, so I’m putting this here.

It’s an interesting theory about monorail supports, but I think those foundations are a little too close together, so probably not.

If I were a betting man, I would say that those foundations are absolutely not for the Monorail. Any changes to the Monorail would require extensive calculations to determine the radius and banking of curves based on the anticipated speeds. These foundations follow the alignment of the existing walkway, rather than being based on an alignment that the Monorail could/would follow. While it could likely follow the path shown in the photo, the angle to rejoin the existing beam at the "bottom" of the image would be much too tight for the car length. Additionally, they appear to be relatively small pad foundations, while something like the Monorail would need piles or larger pads. And of course, none of this mentions that the Monorail is currently operating (the source of the photos), which would be highly unlikely if they were in the midst of rerouting it.

Instead, I think that this is the beginnings of a new canopy/roof structure for a rerouted queue. While the existing structure has columns along the edges of the switchbacks to support the roof above (sort of an inverted U-shaped structure), it appears that this will have columns along the center, with the roof cantilevered off in either direction (more of a T-shaped structure). Using modern steel construction in arid soCal it's a straightforward process, but it's certainly not something you would have seen in traditional wooden Swiss structures built for massive snow loads. Like much of WDI's contemporary handiwork, I'm sure it will be decorated nicely to blend in, even if the structure itself doesn't make any sense for what it's trying to represent.

Based on what we see, I would expect something along this basic shape (but with more decoration):
Leeland_Road_VRE_Station%3B_DC-Bound_View%3B_VRE_Sign.JPG

Phroobar

If I were a betting man, I would say that those foundations are absolutely not for the Monorail. Any changes to the Monorail would require extensive calculations to determine the radius and banking of curves based on the anticipated speeds. These foundations follow the alignment of the existing walkway, rather than being based on an alignment that the Monorail could/would follow. While it could likely follow the path shown in the photo, the angle to rejoin the existing beam at the "bottom" of the image would be much too tight for the car length. Additionally, they appear to be relatively small pad foundations, while something like the Monorail would need piles or larger pads. And of course, none of this mentions that the Monorail is currently operating (the source of the photos), which would be highly unlikely if they were in the midst of rerouting it.

Instead, I think that this is the beginnings of a new canopy/roof structure for a rerouted queue. While the existing structure has columns along the edges of the switchbacks to support the roof above (sort of an inverted U-shaped structure), it appears that this will have columns along the center, with the roof cantilevered off in either direction (more of a T-shaped structure). Using modern steel construction in arid soCal it's a straightforward process, but it's certainly not something you would have seen in traditional wooden Swiss structures built for massive snow loads. Like much of WDI's contemporary handiwork, I'm sure it will be decorated nicely to blend in, even if the structure itself doesn't make any sense for what it's trying to represent.

Based on what we see, I would expect something along this basic shape (but with more decoration):
Besides it's Fresh Baked. About 99% of what they say is completely wrong. They are best to watch with the sound off.

TP2000

Fresh Baked seems to be the only one out there paying attention to the Matterhorn queue changes, so I’m putting this here.

It’s an interesting theory about monorail supports, but I think those foundations are a little too close together, so probably not.

That photo he showed of the queue construction for Matterhorn was great. The conspiracy theory he then hatched, complete with "Pre-Alpha" phases and a "symbiotic relationship" was something else entirely.

He should have just shown that one photo of construction, not said a word, and then played 3 minutes of Classical Guitar or something in the background.

britain

That photo he showed of the queue construction for Matterhorn was great. The conspiracy theory he then hatched, complete with "Pre-Alpha" phases and a "symbiotic relationship" was something else entirely.

He should have just shown that one photo of construction, not said a word, and then played 3 minutes of Classical Guitar or something in the background.

Eh, it takes all kinds. I appreciate everyone’s fandom.

SuddenStorm

Appreciating that someone enjoys Disneyland is one thing- but problems arise when these Youtubers with tens of thousands of subscribers speak from a place of ignorance, and then we get tens of thousands of Disneyland fans the at believe something that's blatantly false.

I've seen a number of Disneyland history focused Youtube videos- and the number of urban legends, false speculation, fan theories that don't work, and just blatantly false claims made by these "historians" online is absurd.

Oftentimes, the mistakes are minor and innocent- but if you're gonna make a Youtube channel, have a patreon, and act like you know your stuff- you need to make damn sure your history is spot on.

Also nothing worse then a Youtuber who just rips other people's youtube videos and Daveland photos and adds a narration that oftentimes isn't good and full of errors (looking at you Alexthehistorian, Matterhorn Matt, and Offhand)- so for as much as I bag on Freshbaked, at least they film their own content.

Also, I see @Kram Sacul 's comments on Youtube more often then I'd like to admit. I swear, half the videos I watch have a comment from Kram. It's nice seeing a fellow forum member out in the wild.

nevol

I agree with you; those footings are pretty close for a monorail change. But I also agree with Fresh Baked; it's too much to hold an awning. So what could go there?
Trees. The space outside the squares becomes queue. Just my guess.

nevol

I'm not expecting a built structure. I just expect trees like the small world queue. They just repainted the roof of the matterhorn queue; why would they start construction right next to it? Also, it just seems too close to the existing structure. would compete with/totally block it from view.

TP2000

I'm not expecting a built structure. I just expect trees like the small world queue. They just repainted the roof of the matterhorn queue; why would they start construction right next to it? Also, it just seems too close to the existing structure. would compete with/totally block it from view.

I know this Fresh Baked guy is probably a very nice, very kind person who pays his taxes and votes and loves America and doesn't kick his dog. And yes he's a Disneyland fan not unlike many of us here. But I'm just going to say what many of of us are thinking...

He's talking out of his behind on this monorail re-route thing for no apparent reason. No, they are not re-routing the monorail to make a hard left turn at the Autopia smoking area, no those plywood forms in the ground that will form the future Matterhorn Standby queue are not closely spaced monorail pylons, and no there is not some secret plan to cut out the monorail track over Autopia for a "Pre-Alpha" phase of some New Tomorrowland 2021 project no one has ever heard of.

But yes, they are remodeling the Matterhorn queue for a proper Fastpass/Standby/Single Rider setup to help alleviate overall park crowding on the narrower walkways surrounding the Matterhorn. And when the new queue setup is installed, they will also plant Bavarian wildflowers in those new planters, and they will also pipe in yodeling music for added effect. Because... Disneyland.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Just to be fair, it was commenters in the Fresh Baked construction video (linked below) that brought up the footings could be for a monorail reroute. So he just ran with it for a supplemental "hey could Disney really be doing this" type of video.

In the actual Fresh Baked construction video (again linked below) David mentions the footings are for the extended queue. He even brings up the recent permit filings for Matterhorn.

Just want to make sure everyone has all the info....

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No way they're going to have all this done by the time I visit in mid-November :cry:

Remember that Fresh Baked videos are usually a little less than a week behind, so you can't base it on that. It is likely that it doesn't look like this now and could be finished by mid-November.

Plus I'd have to assume they'd want Matterhorn up and running for the Christmas holiday period.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Hmm... they might. If it's just planters and awnings.
Remember that Fresh Baked videos are usually a little less than a week behind, so you can't base it on that. It is likely that it doesn't look like this now and could be finished by mid-November.

Plus I'd have to assume they'd want Matterhorn up and running for the Christmas holiday period.

Normally for the holidays we visit Disney around Dec - Jan. This is a first going in November. I noticed the Matterhorn has been closed for a good amount of time and based on the FB video it looks like there's still a lot of work to be done. Good catch, I forgot FB only goes to DL on the weekends - I'm just under the assumption that if this is how it looks after 2 months of refurb, they might still have a good amount of work to do.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Normally for the holidays we visit Disney around Dec - Jan. This is a first going in November. I noticed the Matterhorn has been closed for a good amount of time and based on the FB video it looks like there's still a lot of work to be done. Good catch, I forgot FB only goes to DL on the weekends - I'm just under the assumption that if this is how it looks after 2 months of refurb, they might still have a good amount of work to do.

Provided they aren't doing any more demo, pouring concrete and adding awning/extra queue space wouldn't take very long. I don't see a reason just yet why they couldn't be done by the beginning of November, basically a month from now.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Provided they aren't doing any more demo, pouring concrete and adding awning/extra queue space wouldn't take very long. I don't see a reason just yet why they couldn't be done by the beginning of November, basically a month from now.

Goes to show how much I know about construction lol hope you're right!

BlackCauldron

According to the Disneyland entertainment schedule, the Matterhorn is off of the refurb schedule as of Friday, November 16 - just in time for the Thanksgiving crush.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom