Flamingo Crossings Housing

eddie104

No they don’t. Ripping up wetlands has consequences. It alters the way water moves through the areas, and thus the flood plains.

If you’d like an example, the construction of Celebration made the WDW Resort more prone to flooding in a way it hadn’t been prior to its development.

Disney and neighboring homeowners getting in fights 20-30 years from now over flooding will make the Anaheim fights look like Rock Paper Scissors.

Plus, Disney could have used some of the not wetlands property for things that could feed the needs of the resort like more solar farms like the one proposed north of Flamingo Crossings and large scale hydroponics facilities to cut down produce costs.
Disney is not building another park in WDW so I don't know why they would need extra land. :rolleyes:

the.dreamfinder

Disney is not building another park in WDW so I don't know why they would need extra land. :rolleyes:
You don’t know what Disney’s needs will be in the future, @ParentsOf4 has made a strong case for building a fifth gate in the 2020s based on current trends. What I’m talking about is development by Disney and others in and around property destroying wetlands and changing the flood plains to the point where it adversely effects both parties. It’s just much more painful for folks when their homes will be need to be acquired by Disney or the government to protect WDW when they could have just bought the land in the 80s, 90s, 00s, and 10s.

eddie104

You don’t know what Disney’s needs will be in the future, @ParentsOf4 has made a strong case for building a fifth gate in the 2020s based on current trends. What I’m talking about is development by Disney and others in and around property destroying wetlands and changing the flood plains to the point where it adversely effects both parties. It’s just much more painful for folks when their homes will be need to be acquired by Disney or the government to protect WDW when they could have just bought the land in the 80s, 90s, 00s, and 10s.
Just because someone made a case for building a fifth gate does not mean its going to happen as there a lot of things working against it. WDW has actually done a pretty good job preserving wetlands in and around it's properties and not overbuilding to point where everything is concrete.

the.dreamfinder

Just because someone made a case for building a fifth gate does not mean its going to happen as there a lot of things working against it. WDW has actually done a pretty good job preserving wetlands in and around it's properties and not overbuilding to point where everything is concrete.
Going back to the Bass Brothers’ mandate to Michael Eisner and Frank Wells, their goal has been to develop every acre of land to maximize its potential profitability. Golden Oak and Flamingo Springs 1.0 were both developed to meet this mandate. They recently bought a couple thousand acres off site, on top of earlier development offsets, to offset new developments, like the new DHS parking lot/expansion pad.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Going back to the Bass Brothers’ mandate to Michael Eisner and Frank Wells, their goal has been to develop every acre of land to maximize its potential profitability. Golden Oak and Flamingo Springs 1.0 we’re both developed to meet this mandate. They recently bought a couple thousand acres off site, on top of earlier development offsets, to offset new developments, like the new DHS parking lot/expansion pad.

The current land use plan was created in 2010 with a 2020 planning horizon. Presumably it will get updated soon, so it will be interesting to see what that plan will show for development goals over the next 10 years.

the.dreamfinder

The current land use plan was created in 2010 with a 2020 planning horizon. Presumably it will get updated soon, so it will be interesting to see what that plan will show for development goals over the next 10 years.
I’m interested in seeing how the flood plains change to factor in more development and climate change.

Stripes

Remind me, when did the first plan come out?
Edit: Nevermind, looks like 2010.

BigThunderMatt

Yeah...I’m well aware of all the “fun details” of the programs...all the stuff.

It just seems like an odd move for WDW to authorize building these where they’ll be. They’ll be no closer than Lay, Chatham and the Commons...farther in many cases...and they are burning up land a little.

Odd move all the way around.

Actually this is in a better location. Western Way gets much less traffic and that area of 192 near flamingo crossings has really blown up in the last few years so there's still plenty of conveniences nearby. This is also super close to the best back way to MK that is void of all tourist traffic. It's a perfect location for CPs to be honest.

Obobru

10,400 beds, how does that compare to the number Disney currently has for these programs?

Because Disney have outsourced this I suppose the land will be annexed after its built? I also suspect the rates to those living there will be hiked making it less attractive for participants to want to live there.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Wednesday, December 19, 2018. Since the groundbreaking on December 6th, the land has been cleared and grading and filling is proceeding. This is the construction entrance just south of the Western Way traffic light at Flamingo Crossings Blvd. (I know....boring photograph, but wanted to show work has begun.)

IMG_0964.JPG

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, March 22, 2019. Construction is progressing on the cast member housing just south of the Western Way traffic light at Flamingo Crossings Blvd.

Much of Western Way has been paved past Flagler Avenue, beyond this new intersection. The lights were flashing red today and the road is still blocked off. Western Way will connect to Avalon Road (Highway 545) to the west. Avalon Road is a north/south road that roughly parallels toll road 429. Avalon Road south passes by The Grove Resort then intersects Highway 192 to the south.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom