Flamingo Crossings Housing

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s actually very intelligent placement that will result in several benefits.

The land isn’t really suitable for WDW guest development.

I suppose...still seems odd to take up commercial property for this...

And then I thought about It and it makes perfect sense...”modern thinking”

peter11435

I suppose...still seems odd to take up commercial property for this...

And then I thought about It and it makes perfect sense...”modern thinking”

This will benefit the development of the commercial property around this project.

This will make the existing CP housing on much more valuable real estate available.

This will centralize operations and drive down operating costs for CP housing and transportation.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This will benefit the development of that commercial property around this project.

This will make the existing CP housing on much more valuable real estate available.

This will centralize and drive down operating costs for CP housing and transportation.

Yeah...all that.

But it also does this:

Flamingo was a development in part to create “mid level” rooms in close proximity to WDW....no overhead hotels at $100-200 a night feeding people buying $75 tickets and $30 meals...

Well...those people aren’t really the goal anymore. $25,000 timeshares buying $150 tickets, $100 special event tickets, $60 meals and premium upsells.

It’s a paradigm shift.

FigmentFreak

Yeah...I’m well aware of all the “fun details” of the programs...all the stuff.

It just seems like an odd move for WDW to authorize building these where they’ll be. They’ll be no closer than Lay, Chatham and the Commons...farther in many cases...and they are burning up land a little.

Odd move all the way around.

I agree with you, but looking at it from Disney's view it won't be burning land. It will be housing for more non-benefits, don't have to pay them time and a half on holidays, work them like dogs labor, who also pay to live in the apartments with guaranteed rent payment since it's deducted directly from their checks. So for Disney it will be a cost to build up front, but the savings in benefits/pay over the long term will balance out the loss of land and cost of building.

Lensman

Do people really believe that Disney is actually predatory vs simply being uncaring like most of the rest of corporate America? lol

Or is this just how we are supposed to amuse ourselves here?

Note: I actually applied to work for Disney last week. Are all employees called cast members or is it only ones in certain roles and locations?

eddie104

Do people really believe that Disney is actually predatory vs simply being uncaring like most of the rest of corporate America? lol

Or is this just how we are supposed to amuse ourselves here?

Note: I actually applied to work for Disney last week. Are all employees called cast members or is it only ones in certain roles and locations?
I guess some people hold Disney to a higher standard than corporate America but they know better. 😏

RonAnnArbor

This is a smart move. Its dead land otherwise and they still own a tremendous amount of property all the way up Flamingo Road and around to the Avalon expansion. That being said - the entire Avalon corridor is being built up with upscale private residences, and those folks (the area known as Horizon West) will fight any tourist-oriented development along Flamingo Road north ---Putting the college program in that area will use a large portion of that otherwise useless land at this point, and will put a "button" on the western end of development. It allows for the development of a few more suite-type hotels north of Western Way, and won't impact the growing neighborhood all around (which has already developed a new plot along the entire northern boundary of RCID. It is a good use of property that would otherwise just sit there empty. On a sad note, within a couple years my super fast super uncrowded entrance to WDW via Western Way from Horizon West will become a slog with all the additional student traffic and the busses.

peter11435

This is a smart move. Its dead land otherwise and they still own a tremendous amount of property all the way up Flamingo Road and around to the Avalon expansion. That being said - the entire Avalon corridor is being built up with upscale private residences, and those folks (the area known as Horizon West) will fight any tourist-oriented development along Flamingo Road north ---Putting the college program in that area will use a large portion of that otherwise useless land at this point, and will put a "button" on the western end of development. It allows for the development of a few more suite-type hotels north of Western Way, and won't impact the growing neighborhood all around (which has already developed a new plot along the entire northern boundary of RCID. It is a good use of property that would otherwise just sit there empty. On a sad note, within a couple years my super fast super uncrowded entrance to WDW via Western Way from Horizon West will become a slog with all the additional student traffic and the busses.

This.

Also when you combine the huge increase in housing in the area as part of the horizons west project, the western way expansion to Avalon and connector to 27, and a large population of captive CPs the
Flamingo crossings projects starts to look much more viable.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This.

Also when you combine the huge increase in housing in the area as part of the horizons west project, the western way expansion to Avalon and connector to 27, and a large population of captive CPs the
Flamingo crossings projects starts to look much more viable.

...I just invested in Church and Dwight

skelm

I am going to disagree with the assessment that the Horizon West people will fight any tourist-oriented development. I actually close on a house in Storey Grove, the closest new home community to what will be Avalon Rd entrance to Western Way, in two weeks. Everyone in that community is excited for what is coming to the area, including any development of Flamingo Crossing. It is driving the value of the homes up like crazy.

peter11435

I am going to disagree with the assessment that the Horizon West people will fight any tourist-oriented development. I actually close on a house in Storey Grove, the closest new home community to what will be Avalon Rd entrance to Western Way, in two weeks. Everyone in that community is excited for what is coming to the area, including any development of Flamingo Crossing. It is driving the value of the homes up like crazy.
Not only is it unlikely that they would fight development, there’s little to nothing they could do to stop it.

the.dreamfinder

Not only is it unlikely that they would fight development, there’s little to nothing they could do to stop it.
Or a more enlightened Disney buying up the properties for its needs over time in the future.

Future management will rue the failure of previous generations of management’s failure to buy up the then undeveloped properties at dirt cheap prices.

eddie104

Or a more enlightened Disney buying up the properties for its needs over time in the future.

Future management will rue the failure of previous generations of management’s failure to buy up the then undeveloped properties at dirt cheap prices.
(This isn't Anaheim we have plenty of land already)

the.dreamfinder

(This isn't Anaheim we have plenty of land already)

No they don’t. Ripping up wetlands has consequences. It alters the way water moves through the areas, and thus the flood plains.

If you’d like an example, the construction of Celebration made the WDW Resort more prone to flooding in a way it hadn’t been prior to its development.

Disney and neighboring homeowners getting in fights 20-30 years from now over flooding will make the Anaheim fights look like Rock Paper Scissors.

Plus, Disney could have used some of the not wetlands property for things that could feed the needs of the resort like more solar farms like the one proposed north of Flamingo Crossings and large scale hydroponics facilities to cut down produce costs.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Hopefully, they've planned this somewhat. The entire area will eventually become over developed. I'd be good with an area similar to I-Drive south of Sand Lake (near the Convention Center). Just hoping we don't get "The Irlo Bronson Extension"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom