News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

geekza

I think the biggest challenge will be the music

Mary Poppins has tons of songs, all of which are beautiful and iconic.
The sequel has big shoes to fill (or a big bag, rather)
Marc Shaiman is a respected Musical Theatre composer, so there's that. It's definitely going to be tough to be put up against the Sherman Bros. songs from the first one, though.

geekza

There was as musical done of the movie. :)
Ahem. There was a musical done of the book. There were also two filmed versions of the book, one of which was a musical and the other that just had songs for the Oompa Loompas, like in the book. I adore the songs from the 1971 film, but the stage version isn't bad, either. Let us not speak of the Tim Burton film again. lol

Phineas

Ok... but if you don't exactly remember that scene from Mary Poppins it looks like a generic carousel.
That animated sequence is what would come to mind for most people, I’d say. They go on a carousel, the horses leave the confines of the ride, and go on a fox hunt, and then a horse race which Mary Poppins wins. This gives way to the iconic song Supercali.

It’s not Disney’s fault if the theme park audience doesn’t remember it. With respect, of course. And a dark ride is still wildly more preferable than a carousel, obviously.

PorterRedkey

It looked great, except for Depp's hair and makeup. It just didn't have the heart of the 1971 version and contained a needless backstory.
Burton's imagination was reason enough for me to see the movie in the theater, but the Depp "dance" number made me shrink in my seat.

I see this more now than ever. Beautifully staged films that don't deliver on their content.

Like Disney, if you can take a cool pic in front of (SDMT), so it doesn't need to be great. The ride can be awful they just need to sell it based on the pics.
*EDIT not that SDMT is awful, it is just that it could have been so much better with an addition dark ride scene.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

Does nobody else realize that Mary Poppins returns is just a bigger budget, musical Christopher Robin? British character that was a child in the classic is now an adult man that lost all belief in magic. Now an old childhood friend returns to help him regain the sense of magic and solve whatever adulting problem he is having.
Thank you for pointing this out, I watched the trailer and couldn’t remember why it seemed so familiar.

raymusiccity

Back to the carousel topic, there is variety of ride at fairgrounds (particularly in the UK) called a “derby ride”. I believe there is one at Legoland in California. Essentially, they are carousel horses on a roller coaster type track. While definitely not nearly as ambitious or large as a dark ride, this could be an interesting possibility.

The concept has been around for quite some time. Coney Island had rides that would spin you in a barrel, toss you around in a bowl, race horses on a gravity driven track and let you parachute over a boardwalk..... These rides certainly wouldn't pass today's safety guidelines, but, they sure were a lot of fun!

IMG_2354.JPG

geekza

Does nobody else realize that Mary Poppins returns is just a bigger budget, musical Christopher Robin? British character that was a child in the classic is now an adult man that lost all belief in magic. Now an old childhood friend returns to help him regain the sense of magic and solve whatever adulting problem he is having.
Or Hook?

The original film was also about a grown-up who has lost his connection to what is important in life and is turned around by Mary Poppins. This is just the trailer, so I don't think it's fair to crap on the film before anyone has even seen it. Trailers only have a couple of minutes to sell you on a film. It could be garbage, but we won't know until the film is actually released.

brb1006

You may be right.
In the Disney's version were the Pooh characters real? Or were they talking to the author in his mind? If so, my point remains.

Oh, brb1006, I don't mean to be harsh. I think you are a great contributor to this forum and I am always appreciative that you give so much input. (most of which I agree with.)
Don't worry you weren't being harsh. But yes, Pooh characters are real in Disney's version.

Rodan75

And a Bah Humbug to you. LOL...It is weird that they are releasing two 'adults who lost their imagination/magic/whimsy' movies in the same year. At least this one is a musical.

brb1006

I hate the Burton film, but I think it is hilarious. The songs are so wrong, but they are funny none-the-less.
As for Burton's take on Alice In Wonderland. I'm not fan of it due to how boring and colorless the majority of the film is and the characters aren't even memorable. Most of the film is grey colored besides red. I will give Through The Looking Glass credit for making the film more colorful and making the characters a bit more humorous and likeable. Even Alice has more emotion compared to the first film but that's about it. I'm going to be honest, early concept art actually looking promising before they showed trailers and posters for it.

Rodan75

The main reason I'm not a fan of Burton's take on Alice in Wonderland is because of how boring and colorless the majoirty of the film is and the characters aren't even memorable. I will give Through The Looking Glass credit for making the film more colorful and making the characters a bit more humerous and likeable. Even Alice has more emotion compared to the first film but that's about it. I'm going to be honest, early concept art actually looking promising before they showed trailers and posters for it.

I remember Burton's Alice a little more fondly. Mostly because it wasn't telling the original Alice story and it was building on that world and there was a reason why it was so drab and colorless.

That said, it isn't a movie I care to see on any regular basis.

PorterRedkey

Don't worry you weren't being harsh. But yes, Pooh characters are real in Disney's version.
That was my point. Pooh characters are not real, even in the movie. Mary has always been a real (albeit magical) person, with effects on the people she cares for.

The fact that the adult question the reality after a magical childhood is a natural progression for the story. I am not saying it will be great, but I am hoping for the best!

Lensman

I loved Christopher Robin. I will never look at a red balloon the same way again.
Speaking of red balloons, have you seen Albert Lamorisse's 1956 short The Red Balloon? They played it for us in elementary school and it left a lasting impression on me. Of note it's the only short subject to win the Academy Award for best original screenplay, beating out Fellini's La Strada.

SteamboatJoe

Speaking of Mary Poppins Returns, the official trailer just dropped this morning.

This trailer was extremely meh for me, I really didn't sense the heart in it like I did the Christopher Robin trailer but maybe that's because I'm more emotionally attached to the Pooh characters. I did like the hand drawn animation, the fantasy bits, and DVD's cameo as the old banker.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom