News Tomorrowland love

UpAllNight

I’ve just been to Disneyland in California for the first time and can comfortably say WDW’s Tomorrowland is one area of MK that is much better than in Disneyland already. Both need updating however. Disneyland’s is pretty disappointing to be honest, although there’s some nice highlights.

The night lighting in Tomorrowland in MK feels more special to me than Disneyland

The peoplemover makes the land, and it’s absence is noticeable in Anaheim.

(And FYI Space Mountain in Florida isn’t as awful as everyone makes out compared to California) Both are great fun...I like the more retro feel to WDW’s though, and I kind of feel like it’s more fun due to how unhinged it feels (also the seating arrangement helps this feeling) Unquestionably WDW’s needs to be taken down for a retrack and redo of the effects to match/surpass California, but I kind of hope they keep the seating arrangement and more retro theme.

Surfin' Tuna

(And FYI Space Mountain in Florida isn’t as awful as everyone makes out compared to California) Both are great fun...I kind of like the more retro feel to WDW’s though, and I kind of feel like it’s more fun due to how unhinged it feels (also the seating arrangement helps this feeling) Unquestionably WDW’s needs to be taken down for a retrack and redo of the effects to match/surpass California, but I kind of hope they keep the seating arrangement and more retro theme.
My chiropractor also much prefers WDWs Space Mountain and tells me I should ride it all the time... something about his retirement plan.

UpAllNight

My chiropractor also much prefers WDWs Space Mountain and tells me I should ride it all the time... something about his retirement plan.

Wierdly Disneyland’s more ‘helixy’ version had the bigger impact on my back haha.

As I say both are fun and it was great to see all the little differences across the resorts we’ve still got a few more days to go :) but some preconceptions from reading forums didn’t always, but often did, live up to the reality in my experience.

LukeS7

I’ve just been to Disneyland in California for the first time and can comfortably say WDW’s Tomorrowland is one area of MK that is much better than in Disneyland already. Both need updating however. Disneyland’s is pretty disappointing to be honest, although there’s some nice highlights.

The night lighting in Tomorrowland in MK feels more special to me than Disneyland

(And FYI Space Mountain in Florida isn’t as awful as everyone makes out compared to California) Both are great fun...I like the more retro feel to WDW’s though, and I kind of feel like it’s more fun due to how unhinged it feels (also the seating arrangement helps this feeling) Unquestionably WDW’s needs to be taken down for a retrack and redo of the effects to match/surpass California, but I kind of hope they keep the seating arrangement and more retro theme.
I’m fine with them keeping the arrangement of a single rider in each row, but being 6’ tall, a few extra inches of leg room and a higher back to the seat would be a huge improvement

EDIT: just remembered, it actually really messed up my shoulder on my high school’s senior trip, got jolted back on one of the final turns and the seat top jammed into my back just underneath my shoulder blade. It was not a fun experience :in pain:

THE Monorail Lime

It’s being removed as far as I can guess, sad to see it go but this is a beginning of a new era for Tomorrowland, it except to see the drink stand with the rocket to go next.

Bocabear

Space Mountain has a retro theme?.. Always thought it wwas true modernism...I guess if they resurrected the Home Of Future Living on the exit ramp it would feel retro now, but i think the theme is just pure modern SPACE!

geekza

Space Mountain has a retro theme?.. Always thought it wwas true modernism...I guess if they resurrected the Home Of Future Living on the exit ramp it would feel retro now, but i think the theme is just pure modern SPACE!
Well, it's SPACE! (from the POV of the early-1970's). It has had some updates, but considering the current state of our space program, the world isn't as optimistic about space travel as we were at the time Space Mountain or Mission to Mars were built. We went from the unquestioned leaders in space exploration to hitching a lift from other countries to get our astronauts up to the ISS. We're still doing pretty amazing things with unmanned craft, but we've come to the realization that human space exploration is going to be extremely limited because of just how nasty and huge outer space is. Sigh. I miss being optimistic about the future of space.

Bocabear

Well, it's SPACE! (from the POV of the early-1970's). It has had some updates, but considering the current state of our space program, the world isn't as optimistic about space travel as we were at the time Space Mountain or Mission to Mars were built. We went from the unquestioned leaders in space exploration to hitching a lift from other countries to get our astronauts up to the ISS. We're still doing pretty amazing things with unmanned craft, but we've come to the realization that human space exploration is going to be extremely limited because of just how nasty and huge outer space is. Sigh. I miss being optimistic about the future of space.
That is the one thing a lot of the early Disney attractions did best...Made you feel hopeful and optimistic... Space Mountain did indeed make you feel excited about what was to come with modern technology in our lives... Not sure why those messages have all been lost...

geekza

That is the one thing a lot of the early Disney attractions did best...Made you feel hopeful and optimistic... Space Mountain did indeed make you feel excited about what was to come with modern technology in our lives... Not sure why those messages have all been lost...
Walt was both incredibly optimistic and influential when it came to futurism and the original conceit for Tomorrowland was based on that optimism. His film, "Victory through Air Power," helped change the attitude of the government about the use of air during wartime. Also, the space-themed episodes of the Disneyland show, like "Man in Space" and "Mars and Beyond," featured input from top scientists and futurists and helped spur enthusiasm from the general populace. I think that some folks today forget that, because you could only conceivably tune in a very few channels on your television for most of the late-1940's through the early-1980's, the audience for Disney's TV show was massive. People adored Disney as a public figure who would get visibly excited when he talked about advances in technology and the possibilities of where it could lead us in the future. People latched on to that excitement and became excited themselves. I know it's cool to crap on Walt these days, but to the average person in that era, Walt Disney was seemingly "one of us" who truly brought magical information and entertainment into their lives. He was trusted and he was beloved. That's why I still love watching the old Disneyland episodes and experiencing the attractions that were shepherded by Walt. They have a sense of fun and optimism that is absent from a lot of newer attractions and entertainment. Was it somewhat naïve? Maybe, but I don't think so. Walt was aware of hardships in the world, but he chose to focus on the possibilities, rather than the hindrances. The original EPCOT Center will always hold a special place in my heart because it was an entire park based upon optimism and man's achievements. When you finished a day at EPCOT Center, you came out of it feeling happy and excited. It's all but gone, now, sadly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom