Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

sedati

Crowds, lines, heat, sore feet, and high prices.
Go in knowing those are the unfortunate truths of a theme park vacation and you’ll have a great time regardless. The rest of you are doomed to failure and maybe better stay home and binge some Netflix.

Kman101

That’s what I was thinking. Hope it’s more compelling than Sunny Eclipse! I sure hope the food is better too!

I'm going to imagine the food will definitely be better, but then again, lol, who knows.

Rex could either be charming or totally annoying. It's nice they included him though (and I knew they were but I'm just talking about it because it's "news" again).

twebber55

They can do what my family and I are gonna do: WAIT.
I've been a Star Wars fan since '77, but I am fully aware that EVERYONE IN THE WORLD/UNIVERSE will descend upon Hollywood Studios when Galaxy's Edge opens next year. It may take a year -- maybe two, but eventually the gawkers and posers will fade and you (and me) will be able to enjoy Galaxy's Edge in relative peace. It just takes a little patience.

Having typed this -- I fully realize how much this may be BS. I REALLY can't wait for SW:GE. I may be willing to brave the crowds to prove my Star Wars worth. Some may complain about the name and the concept of the Cantina, but this is all something new and different and will probably know success once it's opened.

Nerd Authentication: Yes, Thrawn and Anakin Skywalker visited this cantina (probably) but many many years (over 50) have passed since that moment and the cantina may have changed hands a number of times during those intervening years. SW:GE is supposedly set during the newer Star Wars films (Force Awakens and Last Jedi).
im going summer of 2020
i also think having one of these in disneyland really will help

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Yup I am waiting till Oct 2020 gives them chance to get any issues sorted etc, the crowds will still be there but at least it wont be opening month crowds.

Timothy_Q

The names don’t matter because people will just call them what they want. Everyone will just say “Let’s go eat at the Cantina”. Does anyone refer to the tea cups as the Mad Tea Party ride? Expedition Everest Legend of the Forbidden Mountain? I don’t even expect to hear people refer to Star Wars Land as Galaxys Edge.

“After Toy Story Land let’s go to Galaxys Edge!!”

It will be more like:

“After Toy Story Land lets go to Star Wars Land!!”
The names sure matter.
Exactly for the reasons you listed.

If you give rides and lands good, short and intuitive names, you’re able to make the official name become the standard.

Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Tomorrowland, Flight of Passage

While if you give them names with 6 words, dashes and punctuation, guests will come up with their own shorter names, proving Disney failed in their marketing.

The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
The names sure matter.
Exaclty for the reasons you listed.

If you give rides and lands good, short and intuitive names, you’re able to make the official name become the standard.

Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Tomorrowland, Flight of Passage

While if you give them names with 6 words, dashes and punctuation, guests will come up with their own shorter names, proving Disney failed in their marketing.

The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars

To some extent.

But Pandora really hasn’t taken off as name, typically Avatar Land is used. And certainly amongst the public rather than members on Disney forums, Flight of Passage is known as ‘the Avatar ride’.

There again, we (as in forum posters) tend to use acronyms a lot of the time.

Common mix-ups I’ve seen are where they have the same IP in two parks:

FEA vs the Frozen show
Under the Sea vs The Voyage of the Little Mermaid show (and even Nemo)
TSMM and Buzz
Nemo ride vs Finding Nemo show

But also:

7dmt vs BTMRR

FoP and ROL - I don’t get that one, but I guess both have an ‘of’ in their name .....!

Timothy_Q

Common mix-ups I’ve seen are where they have the same IP in two parks:

FEA vs the Frozen show
Under the Sea vs The Voyage of the Little Mermaid show (and even Nemo)
TSMM and Buzz
Nemo ride vs Finding Nemo show

But also:

7dmt vs BTMRR

FoP and ROL - I don’t get that one, but I guess both have an ‘of’ in their name .....!
This has nothing to do with naming.

You're just listing movies that have presence in 2 parks

Timothy_Q

Most mix ups happen when names are not short and sweet. If they’d thought more carefully about the names the mix-ups wouldn’t happen, or not as often.
Naming rides with short names is exactly the point I made on my original post.

Why did you disagree with it if you're saying the same thing now?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disneyland's Star Wars Land, Galaxy Edge, in Black Spire Outpost of Batuu's Cantina Bar and Quick Service Restaurant, and Walt Disney Worlds's Star Wars Land, Galaxy Edge, in Black Spire Outpost of Batuu's Cantina Bar and Quick Service Restaurant... of Og.

nickys

Premium Member
Pandora is called "Pandora - The World of Avatar"

It should've been called just Pandora

Agreed. But it’s usually referred to as just Avatar Land, probably because no one knows or can remember (or even cares about) the name of the planet in the movie. So Pandora doesn’t mean anything to them anyway.

Actually most people probably think of the jewellers rather than Avatar when given the name Pandora. :)

Timothy_Q

Agreed. But it’s usually referred to as just Avatar Land, probably because no one knows or can remember (or even cares about) the name of the planet in the movie. So Pandora doesn’t mean anything to them anyway.
People's relationship with the movie is irrelevant.

The names of Disneyland lands didn't exist before they were created, so nobody had any prior connection to those names either.
And they still work, because they're simple one word titles

Having "The World of Avatar" in the title just further removes the power of "Pandora" as a name

TJJohn12

The names of Disneyland lands didn't exist before they were created, so nobody had any prior connection to those names either.

*Technically* the names of the lands and their public usage predate Disneyland Park. They were in use in the Disneyland television show before the park was built (to very good purpose - Davy Crockett being the runaway hit of the Frontierland episodes).

I’d wager, too, that in 1955 when the park opened that kids wanted to visit “Davy Crocket Land” rather than Frontierland. Lexicography changes over time.

Timothy_Q

*Technically* the names of the lands and their public usage predate Disneyland Park. They were in use in the Disneyland television show before the park was built (to very good purpose - Davy Crockett being the runaway hit of the Frontierland episodes).

I’d wager, too, that in 1955 when the park opened that kids wanted to visit “Davy Crocket Land” rather than Frontierland. Lexicography changes over time.
And what about Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Country Bears, Small World, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room?

Nobody had any previous connection to those names before they opened.

Pretty sure the names stuck because they’re simple, intuitive, descriptive titles

TJJohn12

And what about Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Country Bears, Small World, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room?

Nobody had any previous connection to those names before they opened.

Pretty sure the names stuck because they’re simple, intuitive, descriptive titles

You’re mostly right - and your point is a good one. But there’s a few names there in your list that have been shortened quite a bit.

Big Thunder Mountain should include “Railroad,” but most people I chat with call it “Big Thunder” colloquially and drop the mountain altogether.

“Country Bears” is actually called “The Country Bear Jamboree,” again with guest usage eliminating the mode of delivery and just shortening to the character names - see “Dumbo.”

“Small World” is also not called that on park maps - it’s “It’s a Small World.”

The biggest shortening has actually been officialized when the attraction was reborn. The “Tropical Serenade” was the official name of the show starring animatronic birds in Adventureland - when it came back from “new management” it was now named what guests always called it: “[Walt Disney’s Enchanted] Tiki Room.”

I guess what I’m saying is that “Batuu” is as intuitive as “Star Wars Land” or “Galaxy’s Edge” is - this will all turn on social convention in the end as it always has. But Disney can do their best (as Walt did in 1954) to prime the pump from a linguistic standpoint. And we can do our best to try to reinforce what we’d like to stick. Hell, I still call it MGM...

Also, FWIW, I don’t think “Toy Story Land” should have been called that. It’s “Andy’s Backyard” that they built... the only parks that should have “lands” are castle parks. We don’t have “Africaland” nor should we. But I’m also a stodgy historian and purist...

Timothy_Q

You’re mostly right - and your point is a good one. But there’s a few names there in your list that have been shortened quite a bit.

Big Thunder Mountain should include “Railroad,” but most people I chat with call it “Big Thunder” colloquially and drop the mountain altogether.

“Country Bears” is actually called “The Country Bear Jamboree,” again with guest usage eliminating the mode of delivery and just shortening to the character names - see “Dumbo.”

“Small World” is also not called that on park maps - it’s “It’s a Small World.”
Which is further proof that rides should have short intuitive names, otherwise guests won't use them.

My point to begin with

JJJ

People's relationship with the movie is irrelevant.

And they still work, because they're simple one word titles

Having "The World of Avatar" in the title just further removes the power of "Pandora" as a name
If you've yet to visit Pandora, "Avatar Land" is likely the third Pandora you think of, following the Jewelry and the music streaming service. In this case, I think the world of Avatar part was necessary, at least for marketing purposes and name recognition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom