Rumor Hoop-Dee-Doo Closing?

tissandtully

Honestly, I love it, but Pioneer Hall in general is due for an expansion or refurb of some kind. Numerous complaints about bathroom locations (you gotta walk around the whole building if you are in HDDR or Trail's End), and also just plain show keeping, maybe something big is planned.

Surfin' Tuna

I heard a similar rumor recently, but I dismissed it as gossip. It didn't come from a bus driver after all.. But I just don't get it. I know a lot of people who won't go out of fear that they wouldn't like it, but I don't know anyone who hasn't enjoyed it after giving it a shot. Maybe we should have started posting years ago how everyone loved SGE, and they would have taken that away.

Irie

Not sure I would say that it is "perpetually sold out." I know I generally go to the show during the "off-season", but I can only think of once in the last 3 or 4 years where I didn't get moved from a Tier 2 table to a Tier 1 table, and my last visit less than half of the tables on the floor were used for my show, with none of the tables directly in front of the stage used (made for some great cornbread jokes, though!). It wouldn't surprised me at all to see shows cut, or even "seasonal operation," even if Pioneer Hall isn't touched for the DVC project.
We go every trip and it would not be the same without it. After roughly 25 times, it never gets old for us. We always find it at least 3/4 full with most night close to full. However, we tend to go during busier times (Thanksgiving week, Memorial Day week, and Mardi Gras week). Glad we are going this Thanksgiving week, if this is true.

jbolen2

We have been going to the show atleast once annually for 21 years. As hard as it can be to get reservations sometimes i just can’t see it being from lack of demand but more project 89 related. Looks like this December will be a farewell show for us.

trainplane3

I heard a similar rumor recently, but I dismissed it as gossip. It didn't come from a bus driver after all.. But I just don't get it. I know a lot of people who won't go out of fear that they wouldn't like it, but I don't know anyone who hasn't enjoyed it after giving it a shot. Maybe we should have started posting years ago how everyone loved SGE, and they would have taken that away.
So much this.
I've had to describe it to people and that usually goes like this, "It's a cheesy stage show with cornier jokes, great singing and dancing. The food is all you can eat chicken, ribs, beans, corn, potatoes, and strawberry shortcake. Plus all you can drink!" The usual response is "But that doesn't sound worth it" until they do it and come back to me saying I described it right but it's so much more even though it really is just what I said. It's a hard sell because it truly doesn't sound as great as it really is. Every friend I've gone to WDW that I've made do it now asks to do it every single time.

I've seen it nearly every visit and I still haven't gotten tired of it yet. I'm also that guy that really gets into the washboard part at the end though...

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Well I did snag tickets for early February and it will be my first time....sure hope that works out....but I have always wondered why they didn't have it in the Diamond Horseshoe.....loved Wally Boag from old footage at DL....he opened the Diamond Horseshoe with his show too in 1971 and that place was BUILT for and deserves a good show. :happy:

geekza

These old vaudeville shows need to go.
X87ww3a.jpg

TeriofTerror

If they need this land for Project 89, any chance the show could be moved over to Diamond Horseshoe? It seems silly as Disney would be getting rid of an extra charge, but I'm guessing DVC membership > yearly revenue from the show. Or, it could also just be worked into the new DVC property under a new venue.

I just don't see Disney fully getting rid of it with it's success.
I would love this. I remember as a kid we used to run there at park opening to get a reservation. That's right; my family rope-dropped a restaurant! 😂
I feel as though this space has been woefully underused for decades and would love to see it restored to its former glory.
Of course, I would also love to see the Papeete Bay Verandah return to the Polynesian, so I may have a nostalgia bias.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom