Rumor Hoop-Dee-Doo Closing?

Surfin' Tuna

Because of the rumors (here and onsite) we decided to slip over tonight for dinner. It is still a great show and like nothing else on Disney property. It led me to believe they very well may eliminate it. There is no other fun dining available at WDW that equals this show. It's not the best, but you're able to get lost in the moment and enjoy yourself for a couple of hours. I'm not sure it would matter but some emails wouldn't hurt.

CoasterSnoop

Oh boy, time for me to get defensive.

Uhhh, show’s really great. Don’t touch it please. Thank you.

Seriously though it would be a major drag if this show is taken away. It’s one of those dine-in shows that is just unmatched on Disney property. It remains so in touch with the spirit surrounding WDW while still being a hilarious and memorable experience in its own right. Not exaggerating to say it sure would really break my heart (as well as hinder the chances I’d stay at the Wilderness Lodge again) to see it go.

note2001

Because of the rumors (here and onsite) we decided to slip over tonight for dinner. It is still a great show and like nothing else on Disney property. It led me to believe they very well may eliminate it. There is no other fun dining available at WDW that equals this show. It's not the best, but you're able to get lost in the moment and enjoy yourself for a couple of hours. I'm not sure it would matter but some emails wouldn't hurt.
The problem with writing to Disney about places you enjoy and feel are worthy of spending money on is that if the item wasn't on the radar before, pointing it out puts it there. No longer do we have the upper management in Disney that loves to hear when folk are enjoying something and pats the teams on the back saying "Good work" and "Let's try to duplicate success on this level". No, current management really only cares that they've packed the house at a premium with the least amount of funds put back into the product as is possible while still getting away with a three star rating. If folk are enjoying it too much, then maybe it's time to look at what can be done to improve the bottom line.

As mentioned before, this building/kitchen needs some help. It could use expanding, but let's hope they don't decide to go overboard and destroy everything that makes HDDR and the building as a whole special.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

The best way to improve Hoop-Dee-Doo would be to fire all the rowdy musicians and actors and replace them with minimum wage characters who occasionally dance around to gentler, pre-recorded music. That and raise the price by $10 a head and stop giving away booze to the adults.

Then they can call it "Cowboy Mickey's". It would be a more timeless, family-friendly dinner experience in keeping with Walt's wishes for his Florida shopping mall. :)

WDWBigEd

In the Parks
Yes
Orlando Weekly has already said Disney is not closing Hoop-Dee-Doo "

"After numerous sites began reporting on the show shutting down, Disney was quick to issue a statement confirming that it would remain, with no current cancellation plans. The correction by Disney came after the well-known Disney news site The Dis posted a story where they quoted multiple “reliable sources” saying the show was closing. Disney’s correction, which they shared directly with The Dis, only confirmed the Hoop-Dee-Doo was remaining open but the original rumor, as covered by The Dis and others, also included the nearby Mickey’s Backyard BBQcharacter dining experience. The omission of Mickey’s Backyard BBQ from the statement by Disney is fueling new fire that the character-driven Backyard BBQ dining experience is in fact closing. Disney’s website also has no listings for the show after the end of the year." - Orlando Weekly

ABQ

The DIS doesn't do that.
I feel bad for Charles. Even though I'm aware he's not a fan of the Hoop Dee Doo experience, I do think he wouldn't post anything without vetting it first and just got the same corroborating, yet incorrect info on this one. Heck, not that they always know, I think one of the other folks at The Dis has a relative who works in the show itself, maybe even they got bad info. Or Disney is now backtracking on something they truly were planning?

geekza

Disney also said 100% that they weren't changing the name of the restaurant at the Caribbean Beach resort... until they announced the change a few days later.

A denial from Disney only means that something isn't happening at that minute. That could change in the next minute. Disney, like every big corporation, wants to control the message so that every change looks like a positive change. When info leaks ahead of time, especially regarding the closure of a beloved show or attraction, it harms their ability to spin the information. That's not saying that Disney is flat-out lying in this case, but there is recent precedent for it.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Disney, for over a year - "There is no DVC tower being built on the site of the former north wing of the Contemporary..."

Then, suddenly one day - "We're pleased to announce a new DVC resort on the site of the former north wing of the Contemporary!"

So there is a history of what they say and what they do being two entirely different things. Sometimes we know better, other times we, and sometimes our insiders, are surprised.

prberk

Maybe slightly more possible than I originally thought.
That would be awful. The show is a great and well-themed throwback to the old medicine shows of the West. Great family fun and a nice representation of the early American songbook.

I don't mind changing the show around, perhaps from time to time to represent different songs of the era, but the show itself needs to stay, and is perfectly themed for Fort Wilderness, itself a reference to the fort on Disneyland's Tom Sawyer Island. The Hoop de Doo Musical Revue represents well the "Royal Nonesuch" from The Adventures of Tom Sawyer -- and nearly every other depiction of vaudevillian traveling medicine shows of the era.

And it is good, clean family fun. My family loves it, as does any visitor that I have ever taken.

Please, please keep it.

Kman101

Disney also said 100% that they weren't changing the name of the restaurant at the Caribbean Beach resort... until they announced the change a few days later.

A denial from Disney only means that something isn't happening at that minute. That could change in the next minute. Disney, like every big corporation, wants to control the message so that every change looks like a positive change. When info leaks ahead of time, especially regarding the closure of a beloved show or attraction, it harms their ability to spin the information. That's not saying that Disney is flat-out lying in this case, but there is recent precedent for it.

Exactly. All of this. I saw right through Disney's denial :joyfull:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Wait. Disney put out a press release specifically saying "We're not changing the name of this particular restaurant."?

Where and when was this?

It just seems odd to make that kind of statement.

TrojanUSC

I do hope that, even if it stays, that area back near Pioneer Hall doesn't lose its charm. It's one of the few places on property you feel truly transported to a faraway place, miles away from civilization.

cheshirecrazy7

We are actually going to this show this coming January ( mid month) , and the cast member ( last week) who helped me with my reservation said something like oh it’s a good thing you’re seeing it before ... ( she didn’t finish the sentence ) and when I asked her what she meant by that she spun it as she meant it was a good show so it’s good we are seeing it

So there’s that and we can take it for what’s it’s worth ( a grain of salt perhaps ) or try to read between the lines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom