News Disney Early Morning Magic comes to Toy Story Land at Disney's Hollywood Studios

geekza

18 times in a row on Space Mountain - Ride, get off, get back in line. All before noon. December 1991.

*mic drop*
*picks mic back up*
Attendance at the three existing parks in 1991: 28 million
Attendance just at MK in 2017: 20.5 million

As much as I'm on the side of hating these upcharge events, the days of being able to ride Space Mountain 18 times in a row during EMH are looooong gone, sadly.

EDIT: So, I've now found that MK had attendance of 18 million in 1991. While it doesn't look like that much fewer than 2017, when you take into consideration that those 20.5 million people are more spread out over the entire year than in decades past, it still amounts to a lot more guests in the MK at any one time. It used to be until very recently, you could go in early January or right after Labor Day and the parks were deserted. Now, with DVC and all of the competitions, races, festivals, etc. that go on throughout the year, people aren't limiting themselves just to the summer and school holidays.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
*picks mic back up*
Attendance at the three existing parks in 1991: 28 million
Attendance just at MK in 2017: 20.5 million

As much as I'm on the side of hating these upcharge events, the days of being able to ride Space Mountain 18 times in a row during EMH are looooong gone, sadly.

EDIT: So, I've now found that MK had attendance of 18 million in 1991. While it doesn't look like that much fewer than 2017, when you take into consideration that those 20.5 million people are more spread out over the entire year than in decades past, it still amounts to a lot more guests in the MK at any one time. It used to be until very recently, you could go in early January or right after Labor Day and the parks were deserted. Now, with DVC and all of the competitions, races, festivals, etc. that go on throughout the year, people aren't limiting themselves just to the summer and school holidays.

EMH? I did it in the morning during regular park hours. :) And the week before Christmas week.

Of course, at that time more people were streaming at rope drop towards Frontierland than Tomorrowland. Plus they ran both sides of Space Mountain at rope drop, so lines weren't an issue, thus being able to ride over and over and over and over and over again first thing in the morning.

Kman101

I know you said that, but there’s nothing to understand about someone being angry that an option exists. It’s a waste of emotion. This is the World now, not just Disney World. We can spend all day complaining about it.. and people do, everytime a new offer comes up, but they never want to acknowledge that it happens everywhere. It’s so useless.

We do spend too much time debating it, I’m definitely guilty of that.. I just think that at some point people will realize it’s not a reason to get worked up, it’s not a reason to blame “pixie dusters”, society in general has created all of these “upcharges” everywhere. .

I will totally admit that someone being upset isn’t really my problem, so I probably shouldn’t care. Lol

And that's the thing. It's not a problem for you so you don't care. I get it.

FYI. I'm not mad the option exists ... it's got nothing to do with that. Just because I feel strongly about something doesn't mean I'm "mad" or losing sleep over this :joyfull:

21stamps

18 times in a row on Space Mountain - Ride, get off, get back in line. All before noon. December 1991.

*mic drop*

That’s 27 years ago, I was a child then, now I have wrinkles and a few gray hairs.

What “was” in 1991 has no comparison to the reality of what “is” now.

21stamps

EMH? I did it in the morning during regular park hours. :) And the week before Christmas week.

Of course, at that time more people were streaming at rope drop towards Frontierland than Tomorrowland. Plus they ran both sides of Space Mountain at rope drop, so lines weren't an issue, thus being able to ride over and over and over and over and over again first thing in the morning.

How many times have you been on 7DMT and Peter Pan with absolutely 0 minute wait, riding until your hearts content?

Honestly, have you been able to do that?

kong1802

Here's where I have a deeper issue with the add ons....

Of course no one is forced to do them. On the surface they don't have that much of an impact on the regular crowd (minus the hours being cut).

My issue is, it gives WDW incentive to mess with the line. They start doing things like running one side of a ride too long. Start cutting back hours...Why? They are creating a problem that they hold the solution to, for a measly $70.....My point is, where is their incentive for running 100% and offering up shorter waits? Who is buying magic if you can get it for free (relatively)? I feel as if they err on the wrong side when making operational decisions. They know they have a nice upsell to alleviate the problems.....

Perhaps that's too cynical, but the more I think about it, the darker it gets...lol

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Of course no one is forced to do them. On the surface they don't have that much of an impact on the regular crowd (minus the hours being cut).

My issue is, it gives WDW incentive to mess with the line. They start doing things like running one side of a ride too long. Start cutting back hours...Why? They are creating a problem that they hold the solution to, for a measly $70.....My point is, where is their incentive for running 100% and offering up shorter waits? Who is buying magic if you can get it for free (relatively)? I feel as if they err on the wrong side when making operational decisions. They know they have a nice upsell to alleviate the problems.....

Perhaps that's too cynical, but the more I think about it, the darker it gets...lol

Aka. Disney-created problems and now they are monetizing the solution. I'm with you - It's cynical, and dark. And when you think about it without rose-colored glasses and without a pixie-dust IV, it's realistic.

There's no real need to have to pay for an extra morning hour, particularly for TSL. "Oh, but there's breakfast!" Bzzt. Try again.

Kman101

Exactly. For me it's a deeper issue than just "being mad" they offer this. I wish people understood the deeper reason. I'm not saying they should jump on board but at least attempt to understand why this bothers someone before basically telling them to shut up because you don't care about this. I hate it gets boiled down to "you hate Disney" and "who cares"?

kong1802

Exactly. For me it's a deeper issue than just "being mad" they offer this. I wish people understood the deeper reason. I'm not saying they should jump on board but at least attempt to understand why this bothers someone before basically telling them to shut up because you don't care about this. I hate it gets boiled down to "you hate Disney" and "who cares"?

Or the worst, IMO, "but x does it!".......Everytime I see it, I read it in a whiny 8 year old's voice.......

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I absolutely HATE that defense. "But everyone else does it!". I hate group think. Disney used to be better than "doing what everyone else is doing". They set the bar.

No, no, we can't hold Disney to the standards they set for themselves in the past. That was then, this is now, and now is the only thing that matters. Haven't you been following along? ;)

Kman101

No, no, we can't hold Disney to the standards they set for themselves in the past. That was then, this is now, and now is the only thing that matters. Haven't you been following along? ;)

Heh. :hilarious:

And you can't love or talk about what EPCOT Center once was.

You can't criticize upsells "because guests want options"

You can't criticize blatant character use because we're too dumb to understand Shutters over Sebastian's because "who cares" right?

I've never understood blindly defending something. I can love something and still be critical of what they do. Personally I let a lot of things slide, lol.

21stamps

There’s no incentive for Disney to do what you’re saying.

They know that not everyone is going to pay for an extra early morning hour, they don’t want them to. If everyone did it then it would be the same thing as an EMH, and no one would pay for it.

Not to mention the fact that these events sell out quickly, so obviously there’s a limited number available.

The “Magic” is being in an empty Fantasyland or Toy Story Land. That’s the whole purpose of it, and why it’s a sell out.

I absolutely HATE that defense. "But everyone else does it!". I hate group think. Disney used to be better than "doing what everyone else is doing". They set the bar.

Think of another perspective though..

A lot of people travel to more than Disney. Everywhere they go provides them with options to customize. Gives them choices for more exclusive events. These people are busy at their home lives and look for something to really make good use of time and share some special moments with their family while on vacation.

Now, those people are looking at a Disney vacation, they don’t see any options..

In this scenario it doesn’t benefit Disney to be “different”. It definitely doesn’t benefit the consumer who’s looking for that extra customization.

21stamps

Heh. :hilarious:

And you can't love or talk about what EPCOT Center once was.

You can't criticize upsells "because guests want options"

You can't criticize blatant character use because we're too dumb to understand Shutters over Sebastian's because "who cares" right?

I've never understood blindly defending something. I can love something and still be critical of what they do. Personally I let a lot of things slide, lol.

It’s not blindly defending when someone realizes what the travel industry has become.

It’s using rational thoughts when looking at 2018, and not comparing everything to what was once past.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Setting the bar for others + Being a leader = "Yesterday's" Disney = No longer applicable because...

Regressing to the mean + Following industry trends = "Today's" Disney = "Rational thoughts". Gotcha.

21stamps

Yeah. I'm with you. I've tried, lol. I knew better. It's funny we're asked to look at it from a "different perspective" but that's not being given back to us in return.

You don’t look at another perspective. I gave legitimate reasons as to why Disney shouldn’t be “different” in this scenario. It’s impossible not to acknowledge what the trends of entertainment and travel have become. It’s called reality.

If reality is considered a rabbit hole, then I’ll gladly choose to live in it.

I get it , some of you like to complain and not have any facts brought into a scenario.
Lesson learned, carry on with the complaints..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom