News Disney Early Morning Magic comes to Toy Story Land at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Kman101

Many people think they should just extend park hours all around to accommodate the crowds...rather than trying to sell a separate ticket for the same park for early morning hours. Someone can correct me but I think that is the bottom line.

This.

Pandora offered Extra Magic Hours, not "pay to play", if I remember correctly.

(This below isn't towards you Andrew!)

Maybe If I say this in all caps people will get it? SOME OF YOU ARE ARGUING ABOUT THE WRONG THING. Stop getting worked up because you think the "haters" are bashing an offering you personally don't mind. Some of you just aren't getting the points trying to be made. It has nothing to do with whether you see a value in it, whether you think it's taking away from anyone or not. Sigh.

EDIT: It would be really nice sometimes if instead of saying "DISNEY HATERS!" people could take a minute to try and understand someone else's perspective. Yes, it works both ways, I know. But for me, I may disagree with someone but I try to at least let them know I understand where they are coming from. So often it comes off as blind defense of the company rather than trying to understand another persons perspective and why this bothers them. It goes for the "real world" too ;)

Rant over :)

Last edited:

21stamps

This.

Pandora offered Extra Magic Hours, not "pay to play", if I remember correctly.

(This below isn't towards you Andrew!)

Maybe If I say this in all caps people will get it? SOME OF YOU ARE ARGUING ABOUT THE WRONG THING. Stop getting worked up because you think the "haters" are bashing an offering you personally don't mind. Some of you just aren't getting the points trying to be made. It has nothing to do with whether you see a value in it, whether you think it's taking away from anyone or not. Sigh.

EDIT: It would be really nice sometimes if instead of saying "DISNEY HATERS!" people could take a minute to try and understand someone else's perspective. Yes, it works both ways, I know. But for me, I may disagree with someone but I try to at least let them know I understand where they are coming from. So often it comes off as blind defense of the company rather than trying to understand another persons perspective and why this bothers them. It goes for the "real world" too ;)

Rant over :)

It goes both ways. Try to understand that are many people who want these options.
Here’s the best part- Extra Magic Hours and the Paid Early Morning Magic BOTH exist.

So.. those who don’t want to pay- attend EMH.
Those who want a less crowded walk on/ride again experience- they attend EMM.

Everyone’s happy :)
(Or should be)

Kman101

It goes both ways. Try to understand that are many people who want these options.
Here’s the best part- Extra Magic Hours and the Paid Early Morning Magic BOTH exist.

So.. those who don’t want to pay- attend EMH.
Those who want a less crowded walk on/ride again experience- they attend EMM.

Everyone’s happy :)
(Or should be)

Did you read my post? I literally said "it goes both ways" ;)

Do you at all understand why this bothers people?

Do I think we spend too much time debating this kind of crap? Yes, I really do.

21stamps

A shift in operational strategy and acceptance is entirely dependable on “relative dust intoxication” (RDI). 110%. That is disney...much more than “other travel”

...now If you’ll excuse me...I have to go pack the car for a weekend travel soccer tournament.

No, it’s really not any different than all other travel. It’s the same thing. Paid options to tailor your experience. It’s really that simple.

21stamps

Did you read my post? I literally said "it goes both ways" ;)

Do you at all understand why this bothers people?

Do I think we spend too much time debating this kind of crap? Yes, I really do.

I know you said that, but there’s nothing to understand about someone being angry that an option exists. It’s a waste of emotion. This is the World now, not just Disney World. We can spend all day complaining about it.. and people do, everytime a new offer comes up, but they never want to acknowledge that it happens everywhere. It’s so useless.

We do spend too much time debating it, I’m definitely guilty of that.. I just think that at some point people will realize it’s not a reason to get worked up, it’s not a reason to blame “pixie dusters”, society in general has created all of these “upcharges” everywhere. .

I will totally admit that someone being upset isn’t really my problem, so I probably shouldn’t care. Lol

Biff215

Disney is providing a product that has been proven to be a “want” by consumers.
This, to me, is the primary question. Is WDW offering these upcharges because guests are demanding it, or is WDW offering it as an attempt to bolster revenue and then convince the guests that they want it? This might be impossible to answer, or maybe it's the same thing even. I'll agree that there will always be demand for shorter lines. FastPass in the late 90's and then Extra Magic Hours sought to address this but it was included in park admission or your resort stay. Today it seems WDW has conditioned its guests to accept the extra charge for similar perks. Sure the free perks still exist, but unfortunately they aren't enough to keep up with growing attendance and under-built parks.

They certainly have the right to do whatever they want, their main responsibility is to increase revenue for their shareholders. But that has become more apparent than ever, and the long term effects could be devastating. Iger and company don't need to think that far out however, so why worry about it?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This, to me, is the primary question. Is WDW offering these upcharges because guests are demanding it, or is WDW offering it as an attempt to bolster revenue and then convince the guests that they want it? This might be impossible to answer, or maybe it's the same thing even. I'll agree that there will always be demand for shorter lines. FastPass in the late 90's and then Extra Magic Hours sought to address this but it was included in park admission or your resort stay. Today it seems WDW has conditioned its guests to accept the extra charge for similar perks. Sure the free perks still exist, but unfortunately they aren't enough to keep up with growing attendance and under-built parks.

They certainly have the right to do whatever they want, their main responsibility is to increase revenue for their shareholders. But that has become more apparent than ever, and the long term effects could be devastating. Iger and company don't need to think that far out however, so why worry about it?

It’s the latter...and that is why the consumer is at fault.

I don’t blame disney...it’s a brilliant reality that they have worked towards and now exploit.

But the consumer always self justifies in a bubble...so disney increases the price of the bath near daily.

It is what it is.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It’s the latter...and that is why the consumer is at fault.

I don’t blame disney...it’s a brilliant reality that they have worked towards and now exploit.

But the consumer always self justifies in a bubble...so disney increases the price of the bath near daily.

It is what it is.

And certain frogs in the pot simply don't care, because they are getting the bath they want.

We used to enjoy E-Ride Nights (who else remembers those?). Not because of short lines, because we could still do everything we wanted to do during regular park hours, or a feeling that "Whew, the parks are finally less crowded so we can enjoy ourselves". THOSE are the reasons people pay (exorbitantly) for an extra hour or two these days. We enjoyed them because they were fun. Everyone there was having fun and enjoying the atmosphere. Guests had fun. CM's had fun. Nothing was rushed. And none of it felt forced.

To me, this is a fairly accurate indicator as to how far Disney is down the "upcharge anything that we can because some rubes will pay for it" road. Sad, really...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wouldn’t be surprised if there were two more before SW opens. That, or an upcharge that will set records.

Bookings/attendance have been light this year - not that you’d know it by the fastpass/standby lines (proving its failing...or maybe even “succeeding”)

So I think they will do an increase but be ginger about it for 2019...

After - I expect Mad upsells to annual passes and daily tickets....like 20% and maybe more higher annual increase after that. They’ll push toward $200 a day and a $1500 AP unless somebody starts resisting. Blue ocean...farm it out.

MaximumEd

I really hope you’re wrong. We used to go twice a year. With the daughter getting older and into more things that cost money, we are down to once a year. We make decent money, but prices like that would make us seriously consider finding other places to spend our hard earned money. I like the place, but not that much.

imsosarah

We were pleasantly surprised last week when we went. The land feels like its own place and is really a great step up for disney in land theming vs the MK. It feels really immersive and fun. The alien saucer ride was meh, but great if you have littles. The Slinky Dog coaster was actually surprisingly fun - we expected it to be like a barnstormer type ride and it was significantly better with some of the like styled launching points from rock in roller coaster. We jumped in line without a fast pass at end of night and only had about a 40 minute wait. I wouldn't wait longer than that.

Fair...

I’m a big toy story Fan...saw the original in college first weekend because I was fascinated by what they could pull off with the old Lucas machine...

I think I’ll really the miniland...but have no illusions as too the limited appeal of the attractions and how it is only really adding to the mgm/property wide operational problems.

I’ll see it next week.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We used to enjoy E-Ride Nights (who else remembers those?). Not because of short lines, because we could still do everything we wanted to do during regular park hours, or a feeling that "Whew, the parks are finally less crowded so we can enjoy ourselves". THOSE are the reasons people pay (exorbitantly) for an extra hour or two these days. We enjoyed them because they were fun. Everyone there was having fun and enjoying the atmosphere. Guests had fun. CM's had fun. Nothing was rushed. And none of it felt forced.

This is so true and the irony is thick. I also can point to the Halloween and Christmas parties when they had 10 for 1/3 the price and they weren’t a mob/riot waiting to happen.

But here’s the irony: upsell defenders will say that it’s value drives price...but the price Dimininshes the atmosphere...

And THAT has really been the value.

Bottomline: it’s a cluster argument.

Disstevefan1

Let's look on the bright side. For all the folks who take advantage of this, equates to possibly less folks trying to ride these attractions when the rest of us get there.

I do think Disney will continue to these events as long as enough folks pay for them. Allow me to rationalize in my Disney brain that this is a good option for the following reasons; it's a buffet, all you can eat? Time is money so if you did not get that fastpass to Slinky and you really want to ride it and not have to wait in a long, time consuming queue, this is for you. Who knows, you nay be able to ride it several times.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Let's look on the bright side. For all the folks who take advantage of this, equates to possibly less folks trying to ride these attractions when the rest of us get there.

I do think Disney will continue to these events as long as enough folks pay for them. Allow me to rationalize in my Disney brain that this is a good option for the following reasons; it's a buffet, all you can eat? Time is money so if you did not get that fastpass to Slinky and you really want to ride it and not have to wait in a long, time consuming queue, this is for you. Who knows, you nay be able to ride it several times.

So you’re theory is that people go in at 8 and are out by 9:45??

There’s a word for someone who would do that: me. I would be that guy...I make a loop right around the flag pole and out if anything about the daily crowd looks annoying.

But I won’t pay separate gate for a normal day...those that do are rapid dogs and aren’t leaving.

Animaniac93-98

Today it seems WDW has conditioned its guests to accept the extra charge for similar perks.

It's why MaxPass is a thing at Disneyland. Why they cut down evening EMH from 3 to 2 hours. Why they've started Early Morning Magic, Disney After Hours and are now charging to park your car at your resort.

"free perks" (aka the value you get for what you're paying) are now seen as lost revenue.

21stamps

This is exactly why we did EMM at MK. 7DMT 5 or 6 Times.. not even needing to re-enter the line... the food was good.. choosing to take out time on Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan was fantastic. What we accomplished before 10am was more than I’ve done in half a day at Disney, during any decade. Freed up the rest of the day to focus on the rest of the park...and we still smile when we talk about our consecutive 7DMT rides.

You can not do that at Extra Magic Hours.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
This is exactly why we did EMM at MK. 7DMT 5 or 6 Times.. not even needing to re-enter the line... the food was good.. choosing to take out time on Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan was fantastic. What we accomplished before 10am was more than I’ve done in half a day at Disney, during any decade. Freed up the rest of the day to focus on the rest of the park...and we still smile when we talk about our consecutive 7DMT rides.

You can not do that at Extra Magic Hours.

18 times in a row on Space Mountain - Ride, get off, get back in line. All before noon. December 1991.

*mic drop*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom