Costumes - where from?

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Where does everyone "shop" for their running costumes? I've been looking on ETSY and have found a few pieces I'm interested in but I'm wondering what everyone else does?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Where does everyone "shop" for their running costumes? I've been looking on ETSY and have found a few pieces I'm interested in but I'm wondering what everyone else does?

My "costume" consists of running shorts, race t-shirt, a Sparkle Skirt, compression sleeves for my legs and a Headsweat visor. I color coordinate with the race shirt. Other than the visor, I don't run with anything on my head - no ears or tiara.

Just make sure you do a training run with your full costume to make sure it's comfortable for a 13.1 miles run. I shake my head at women who dress up as Rapunzel, including the skillet. Or Belle and her book/basket.

Swissmiss

Premium Member

Like @LAKid53 my costumes start with a sparkle skirt in the color(s) of what I'm trying to portray, with a regular running top that I might embellish. I may have a bit more "fun" with some accessories for a 5k, but for longer runs I prefer to be comptable with what I'm wearing. At the DLP half last year there was a guy running in a "guy sitting on a bear's shoulders" costume - while he thought it was funny in the beginning. He was no longer having fun when I passed him around the 18k mark.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Like @LAKid53 my costumes start with a sparkle skirt in the color(s) of what I'm trying to portray, with a regular running top that I might embellish. I may have a bit more "fun" with some accessories for a 5k, but for longer runs I prefer to be comptable with what I'm wearing. At the DLP half last year there was a guy running in a "guy sitting on a bear's shoulders" costume - while he thought it was funny in the beginning. He was no longer having fun when I passed him around the 18k mark.

Think Disney bounding, @DznyGrlSD. Outfit in the colors of a Disney character - that's what you typically see. Wanna be Belle? Yellow Sparkle skirt, race shirt, arm sleeves, compression socks, sparkly visor. Cinderella - blue skirt, white tank & sleeves. Visit Sparkle Athletics website for photos and ideas. You can see what their recommended outfit for each princess is. And other characters. Or just watch one of the rubDisney vidoes.

LAKid53

Premium Member

Before rD cracked down on race costumes, I saw some of the photos from the first Star Wars race at DLR. People dressed up as ATATs. Crazy.

Here's a photo of a group from the Dark Side in 2017 dressed as TIE fighters from the Half. I'd last maybe 3 miles before I ripped those things off my arms...but they ran the entire race with them.

20170422_040359.jpg

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Thanks everyone!

My biggest concern is leggings. So many cheap leggings online and I bought a pair from Lotus Leggings that I wouldn't even wear around the house, let alone run in! I may end up going with a sparkle skirt ( or something similar) over my regular leggings.

Tops I'm not too concerned about - I just need a themed tank top...lots of options on Etsy.

Headgear - I run in headbands and Junk bands has a bunch of cute ones that I could coordinate.

Socks would be my only other thing to think about - I usually run in ankle socks and I'd have to test out if I could run in knee-highs or not.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thanks everyone!

My biggest concern is leggings. So many cheap leggings online and I bought a pair from Lotus Leggings that I wouldn't even wear around the house, let alone run in! I may end up going with a sparkle skirt ( or something similar) over my regular leggings.

Tops I'm not too concerned about - I just need a themed tank top...lots of options on Etsy.

Headgear - I run in headbands and Junk bands has a bunch of cute ones that I could coordinate.

Socks would be my only other thing to think about - I usually run in ankle socks and I'd have to test out if I could run in knee-highs or not.

I'd look at getting some good quality compression socks/calfs combo. Your legs and feet will thank you. Both CEP and Pro Compression are good brands and available in many colors. I wear CEP calf sleeves that match my Sparkle skirts.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I'd look at getting some good quality compression socks/calfs combo. Your legs and feet will thank you. Both CEP and Pro Compression are good brands and available in many colors. I wear CEP calf sleeves that match my Sparkle skirts.

dumb quesiton - what do compression socks/sleeves do? Do you wear them while running?

LAKid53

Premium Member
Always. It does help a lot for my calves and shins, due to the pressure and support for the muscle. It also effects the circulation of blood and the ones I have dont give me blisters :)

Correct. What brand do you wear?

LAKid53

Premium Member
Check out the new DisneyStyle store at Disney Springs. They have some neat themed t-shirts with various sayings, designs inspired by villains or favorite characters, and some cute head wear.

Just make sure the shirt you wear to race in isn't cotton....reason why I wear one of my performance race shirts for the 5Ks.

LAKid53

Premium Member
@DznyGrlSD, more thoughts

BodyGlide....don't forget the BodyGlide. Rub it EVERYWHERE you expect friction - inner thighs, underarms, sports bra band, feet. I buy the big size on Amazon - it has lasted for 2 years. Don't buy the liquid version, it's not that great. Or the Pink "for women" - same product, but different packaging and more $.

Start trying out various brands of energy gels, gummies and beans when your training runs start exceeding 1 hour. You don't want the W&D Half to be the run you find out your tummy won't tolerate the GU energy gels they hand out. Rule of thumb - eat a gel, gummies or beans every 30-45 minutes to replenish glycogen levels.

dreamfinder

As pointed out, for anything longer than a 5k-ish race, you really want to focus more on the "inspired by" style costume than an actual costume. You can pretty easily add a few embellishments onto a tech shirt of any color to have people recognize who you are. Raw Threads has alot of shirts that are popular at races as well, once again fall into the inspired by realm instead of actually licensed. If you want to go hog wild there are several companies that will do short run (in some cases one off's) sublimation tech shirts.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Bump....
I wondered if any of you have noticed more runners dressed in costumes or "inspired by" style gear than in years before? Has it always been costume-y?
My last in person race was the 2020 Princess Challenge: 10K and Half marathon... I bought 2 tank off of Etsy, ran in one for the 10k and felt under-costume-themed dressed (my tank was a rare theme character). Having brought multiple tanks and running gear, I decided not to run in the 2nd etsy tank and went with a pride rainbow tank with a Unicorn headband from a gift shop. I had more fun as Rainbow Unicorn and those around me enjoyed it too.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Bump....
I wondered if any of you have noticed more runners dressed in costumes or "inspired by" style gear than in years before? Has it always been costume-y?
My last in person race was the 2020 Princess Challenge: 10K and Half marathon... I bought 2 tank off of Etsy, ran in one for the 10k and felt under-costume-themed dressed (my tank was a rare theme character). Having brought multiple tanks and running gear, I decided not to run in the 2nd etsy tank and went with a pride rainbow tank with a Unicorn headband from a gift shop. I had more fun as Rainbow Unicorn and those around me enjoyed it too.

For Princess Half weekend, you're underdressed if you not dressed as a Princess or in the colours of one (think Disney bounding). The former Star Wars weekend the same (I will miss the running group dressed as TIE fighters).

I go with the colours, rather than an actual costume. I've got lots of Sparkle skirts that I can pair with a running top to be Aurora, Snow White, Cinderella, Belle, Leia, etc. I admire those runners in full costume, like the guy that always dresses - in full costume, including wigs - for Princess weekend.

RunningKoen

Might depend on the corral aswell. I often start in the front and see (a lot) more running gear than costumes. Some are slightly themed, but a lot of race shirts or own gear aswell.

I sometimes run a 5K in a costume, because those are more fun to me.

It's up to what you like most, and it's a blessing that you can do either without it being silly :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom