News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Bairstow

At the risk of being attacked for my tone, I'll suggest that Disney probably has to let people leave any time they want, but they could put strict limits on your ability to get back in so they can maximize the immersion for those willing to play by the rules. Maybe if you leave you can't get back in until the end of the day when everyone is back in their sleeping pods.

That sounds like daily guest relations nightmares waiting to happen.
This is a vacation activity aimed at families with children. There's almost certainly going to be a degree of flexibility built into whatever activity/roleplay structure they go with.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
At the risk of being attacked for my tone, I'll suggest that Disney probably has to let people leave any time they want, but they could put strict limits on your ability to get back in so they can maximize the immersion for those willing to play by the rules. Maybe if you leave you can't get back in until the end of the day when everyone is back in their sleeping pods.
Just my opinion, but I can’t see them making it very restrictive. If people want to come and go they will let them. They may not encourage it by providing buses to parks or DS but they won’t try to stop people either. I think the immersion is going to have to be at an individual level. We already know guests won’t be required to wear costumes and it’s highly unlikely they will restrict phones and other devices. Even though I’m skeptical it will happen, many on here insist this place will be geared towards and appropriate for small children. With all of these distractions, people will need to use their imaginations to be fully immersed. You will get out what you put in. Those who want a more casual experience might come and go some. Those who want hard core full immersion will not leave, will not use personal devices and will probably dress up.

Bairstow

And yet you did it in such a way as to not demean me. Neat!

I also wondered about “front door” entry and exit. Won’t it break the narrative to have some people just mosey in and out as they please? Or will they have to go through the “port” each time to leave the property?

I don't follow. Most of the themed interactions will, as a matter of course, need to be guest-to-castmember, not guest to guest. If someone's dad needs to step out to call the office and have a smoke it's not going to shut down the Galaxy.

Missing20K

I don't follow. Most of the themed interactions will, as a matter of course, need to be guest-to-castmember, not guest to guest. If someone's dad needs to step out to call the office and have a smoke it's not going to shut down the Galaxy.

I meant more about how having doors from within the “ship” that just open out to the parking lot might break the immersion of the experience. Poor word choice by me using “narrative”. My bad.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
You mean you have watched Stormtroopers shoot who were under orders not to hit the people escaping to the rebel base, to quote Obi Wan "These blast points... too accurate for Sand People. Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise."
Sarcasm.

Bairstow

I meant more about how having doors from within the “ship” that just open out to the parking lot might break the immersion of the experience. Poor word choice by me using “narrative”. My bad.

They'll probably need those too, in the form of clearly marked emergency exits and fire doors. They'll theme around this to some extent, but it's not an option.

Missing20K

They'll probably need those too, in the form of clearly marked emergency exits and fire doors. They'll theme around this to some extent, but it's not an option.

Exactly what I was getting at. Can’t really theme an emergency exit sign. Or fire stairs. Or extinguisher cabinets. My main point being there is only so much immersion that can realistically happen.

djkidkaz

This is one of those projects that when it was announced I could foresee it never getting built cause it was so far out of the realm of anything Disney had done before. The idea that they would theme an entire hotel around one franchise seemed crazy. Who would have thought it would be the Magic Kingdom theater that got the axe?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Looks like they've started building the resort entrance or maybe just toll booths

It’s the new entry toll plaza for the park.

What @TiggerDad said, that's the current toll both which will soon be demolished. In the map below, the red triangles are the new booths.

1530798735247.png

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Very helpful map. Is the orange portion towards the parking lot the "bridge" or whatever it's going to be, to SW:GE?

The red is the SW Resort. The orange is its roadway access to the parking lot (in dark grey). The access to the orange from the highway is only for emergency vehicles. For everyone else, they access the resort from the DHS parking lot.

The light grey is the new road from the highway that cars will take. They will enter at the top of the picture (underneath the yellow line representing the DHS-CBR gondola line). The will exit a little south of that back onto the same accessway they came in.

TiggerDad

The red is the SW Resort. The orange is its roadway access to the parking lot (in dark grey). The access to the orange from the highway is only for emergency vehicles. For everyone else, they access the resort from the DHS parking lot.

The light grey is the new road from the highway that cars will take. They will enter at the top of the picture (underneath the yellow line representing the DHS-CBR gondola line). The will exit a little south of that back onto the same accessway they came in.
@danlb_2000 posted permit drawings that show the existing entrance road (S. Studios Dr.) remaining, but with some type of entrance control moved up earlier than where the current toll plaza is. This appears to be access directly to the resort hotel.
1530547272617-png.293566

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
@danlb_2000 posted permit drawings that show the existing entrance road (S. Studios Dr.) remaining, but with the toll plaza moved up earlier. This appears to be access directly to the resort hotel.
1530547272617-png.293566

Yes, I've downloaded the hi-rez versions and overlaid them on Google maps.

What do you mean by the toll plaza 'moved up earlier'? We have aerials of the new toll plazas currently being built exactly where I have them marked on my map in comportment with other permit blueprints.

TiggerDad

What do you mean by the toll plaza 'moved up earlier'? We have aerials of the new toll plazas currently being built exactly where I have them marked on my map in comportment with other permit blueprints.
You are correct that the toll plazas for DHS parking are being built as shown on your map. I was referring to the center of the map I posted, where it shows the road dividing, and then two Stop lines. I see that as a guard booth controlling access to the SW resort. I shouldn't have called it a toll plaza. It is closer up the road than where the current toll plaza is.

Missing20K

Where might we find said high res images to download ourselves? I've looked through the permit thread and can't seem to find them. Sorry if it's a dumb question. Slow at work and I'm always curious to see other firms drawings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom