News Passholder Benefits Shifting

Randyland

30 years ago, it would be UNHEARD OF to have any negative comments about ANYTHING Disney... Now it seems common to read all kinds of things, from dissatisfied, or disappointed, Guests.... And excuses offered such as it being a business... Clearly something has changed and Disney's image has had a fall from grace. When a company's biggest asset is it's image, it is a dangerous game not to maintain the Core Values which created that image... Decades of loyalty can be lost overnight.

drod1985

30 years ago, it would be UNHEARD OF to have any negative comments about ANYTHING Disney... Now it seems common to read all kinds of things, from dissatisfied, or disappointed, Guests.... And excuses offered such as it being a business... Clearly something has changed and Disney's image has had a fall from grace. When a company's biggest asset is it's image, it is a dangerous game not to maintain the Core Values which created that image... Decades of loyalty can be lost overnight.

The internet happened.

MattM

Visit Orlando would cover the hundreds of hotels outside the Disney property that serve the million others tourist traps as well, would it not?
Yes, but over the years they have compiled data that has allowed them to know, with great accuracy, what percentage of all Orlando visitors make a trip to Disney.

MattM

To be fair, this site is sorta an echo chamber. Not a representation of the overwhelming majority of Disney guests.

Sharon GM

Attendance recently has been not meeting projections across WDW, causing concern amongst management. As a result, a variety of programs have shifted. The big one being that most Low level Passholders can now visit during June (up to the 29th). Also, due to low Epcot Lite (now without a Festival) attendance, Passholder magnets have moved from studios (the expected attendance bomb) to Epcot (the actual one).

TLDR:
Lower Level Passholders are un-blocked until TSL opens
Magnets Move to Epcot
Attendance caused these
As a customer that has been to every park for years (3872 visits since opening of DW) the decline of new attractions, the dirty trashy conditions of all the parks except for Epocot, and the unbelievably long lines for the experiences you do have that are worthy, made me decide on my recent visit to never return. I was there and stayed on property also ran down as well. The avatar ride a 4 hour wait was old technology used from Disney Quest and Soar not much that makes Disney stand out with exception of a family tradition. Some one needs to think about this. It isn’t about magnets. So sad Disney has lost it’s thinkers and technology people.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, but over the years they have compiled data that has allowed them to know, with great accuracy, what percentage of all Orlando visitors make a trip to Disney.

But based on on property room availability and the reports coming in right now...the actual volume inside WDW seems to be down.

When are the rooms really cheap? Mid-late August on promos. Early June seems light.

I’m not saying people don’t go...they certainly do...but there has Been a very noticeable shift in volume to less traditional times - oct, nov, Jan, feb...even sept a bit.

People are just not as tied to traditional summers as much as the 20th century was...that is true in many destinations.

winstongator

Costs and lines were huge complaints for me 30 years ago. I was 11. Negative feelings from Lines drove development of original fp system.

I am s9mewhat puzzled as to how wdw, at least the MK was kept considerably cleaner back then though, or maybe it’s the rose colored glasses of history.

MattM

But based on on property room availability and the reports coming in right now...the actual volume inside WDW seems to be down.

When are the rooms really cheap? Mid-late August on promos. Early June seems light.

I’m not saying people don’t go...they certainly do...but there has Been a very noticeable shift in volume to less traditional times - oct, nov, Jan, feb...even sept a bit.

People are just not as tied to traditional summers as much as the 20th century was...that is true in many destinations.
There are over 125K hotel rooms in Orlando, with 16k more going through planning/approval or currently under construction in Orlando. Hard to make an attendance based conclusion of the parks based on hotel room occupancy at Walt Disney World only. (Roughly) Three out of four hotel rooms in Orlando are not in WDW. Occupancy is up to 80% in Orlando (long term average is right around 70%), and nightly rates are up around 5% YoY. There just isn't any data that supports a decline in summer time traffic, at least not in Central Florida.

It's certainly fair to say that there isn't really a "slow" season anymore. I believe some of the insiders here have said this has been an intentional move by Disney to try and disperse crowds more evenly throughout the year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Costs and lines were huge complaints for me 30 years ago. I was 11. Negative feelings from Lines drove development of original fp system.

I am s9mewhat puzzled as to how wdw, at least the MK was kept considerably cleaner back then though, or maybe it’s the rose colored glasses of history.

It wasn’t that there weren’t tons of complaints...

It’s they al gore hadn’t invented his internet and there wasn’t a real time squawk box accessible to anyone then

Last edited:

VaderTron

For every family that decides they're done with visiting the World, there are 2 more who are saving every penny to visit. Disney knows this. We know they know. But how they respond to these concerns is what becomes troubling.

The big issue, though, is that the ones saying they are done are Florida residents, passholders, people who go several times a year, or people who do a big trip every year. When many of these ones reduce visits or completely stop going to WDW they cannot be replaced by the families who are "saving every penny to visit". Those families tend to spend less, stay in cheaper hotels, eat at less expensive restaurants, and so forth. There will be a noticeable difference when the people who used to come regularly and stay on-site at Disney hotels and eat at Disney restaurants don't come back as often or at all. Disney didn't listen carefully enough when the people who make up the "WDW Middle Class", the ones who drive the economy of their business, said they were getting fed up with all the nickle and diming with no real added value that Disney was plaguing us with.

I still attend because my annual pass hasn't run out yet. But I definitely don't spend money at Disney like I used to. I stay at other hotels in the area that don't charge extra for parking, (Yes! They do exist, Disney!) and I eat at more counter service restaurants now instead of sit-down. My budget is my budget. So, when Disney raises prices I find cheaper options. Now I find I actually spend less than I used to because their prices put some things juuuuuust out of reach. The cheaper alternatives are much cheaper. For instance. A sit-down meal for my wife and I used to average around $80 not too long ago. Now that it averages closer to $100 I choose a counter service instead. It's closer to $50. In the end, Disney and I are both losers. I don't get to enjoy as nice of a meal and Disney gets less of my money. Nice job, Disney.

What is more, now I have to wrestle with the decision of what to do next month when my pass expires Perhaps take a break for a while? Downgrade a tier or two on my pass? Find a new vacation destination? I know one thing for sure, there is no reason for me to stay a Platinum Passholder. The slight possibility to perhaps ride two rides in Toy Story Land sometime in September....MAYBE....after the land has been open for several months....uh uh....NOPE....that is not added value. No waterparks for platinum? Hmmm...this is a hard decision.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There are over 125K hotel rooms in Orlando, with 16k more going through planning/approval or currently under construction in Orlando. Hard to make the conclusion based on hotel rooms at Walt Disney World only. Three out of four hotel rooms in Orlando are not in WDW.

It's certainly fair to say that there isn't really a "slow" season anymore. I believe some of the insiders here have said this has been an intentional move by Disney to try and disperse crowds more evenly throughout the year.
Are you the head of the chamber of commerce?

Yes...I understand the dynamic in Orlando. I am a former resident. And a former disney guy...and there are a lot of factors into the reported light crowds going on at WDW now...

We are both oversimplifying this...I think.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The big issue, though, is that the ones saying they are done are Florida residents, passholders, people who go several times a year, or people who do a big trip every year. When many of these ones reduce visits or completely stop going to WDW they cannot be replaced by the families who are "saving every penny to visit". Those families tend spend less, stay in cheaper hotels, eat at less expensive restaurants, and so forth. There will be a noticeable difference when the people who used to come regularly and stay on-site at Disney hotels and eating at Disney restaurants don't come back as often or at all. Disney didn't listen carefully enough when the people who make up the "WDW Middle Class", the ones who drive the economy of their business, said they were getting fed up with all the nickle and diming with no real added value that Disney was plaguing us with.

I still attend because my annual pass hasn't run out yet. But I definitely don't spend money at Disney like I used to. I stay at other hotels in the area that don't charge extra for parking, (Yes! They do exist, Disney!) and I eat at more counter service restaurants now instead of sit-down. My budget is my budget. So, when Disney raises prices I find cheaper options. Now I find I actually spend less than I used to because their prices put some things juuuuuust out of reach. The cheaper alternatives is much cheaper. For instance. A sit-down meal for my wife and I would average around $80. Now that it averages closer to $100 I choose a counter service instead. It's closer to $50. In the end, Disney and I are both losers. I don't get to enjoy as nice of a meal and Disney gets less of my money. Nice job, Disney.

Agree...it’s the big strategic mistake/danger that iger has exposed them too...

I say it all the time: let’s see what it looks like in a recession...the rubber then hits the road.

MattM

Are you the head of the chamber of commerce?

Yes...I understand the dynamic in Orlando. I am a former resident. And a former disney guy...and there are a lot of factors into the reported light crowds going on at WDW now...

We are both oversimplifying this...I think.
No, I do not work for the chamber, but I work with them on a near daily basis. Along with Disney, Universal, Sea World, GOAA, Visit Orlando and CFHLA. I am currently an Orlando (WP) resident (and lifelong, multi-generational; an actual Florida native).

Many of Orlando's largest domestic feeder markets aren't even out of school yet. That's not even getting into the huge boom of international traffic into Orlando. There isn't really anything to oversimplify. The data is what it is.

Cado603

Can you say greedy Iger

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom