News Tickets with Pre Selected Fast Passes

Magic Feather

This is the beggining of the one of the strategies that sold Burbank on Next Gen. The long term goal being to subconsciously make people go on specific rides. We will see how this oans out, but, to be honest, I am surprised that they are not reducing prices for people that opt into this.

MrHappy

You guys are making too big a deal about this. It's for people who buy their tickets at the gate. They have no fast passes anyway, so why not set them up with some default times.
Ahh. You my friend, this post was very refreshing to me.
While I think you're 100% correct, I will also muddy things up to say there are dozens of implications to this general strategy of adding FP+'s. The data folks are going to enjoy all the numbers. From manipulating crowds, ride capacity, customer satisfaction, down time, shop time, you name it. The data set from "walk ups" will be valuable.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
What do you think are the chances that we see packages similar to this in the (not so distant) future with much better line-ups for an added fee? Maybe a "Toy Story Land" one day pass that guarantees you Fast Passes to the three Toy Story Land attractions or a Galaxy's Edge one day pass that guarantees you Fast Passes to the two Galaxy's Edge attractions (plus Star Tours)? Obviously, both would be the cost of a standard one day pass with a pretty sizable premium added. I'd imagine selling such a pass would be a VERY hot commodity when Star Wars Land opens...

CaptainAmerica

What do you think are the chances that we see packages similar to this in the (not so distant) future with much better line-ups for an added fee? Maybe a "Toy Story Land" one day pass that guarantees you Fast Passes to the three Toy Story Land attractions or a Galaxy's Edge one day pass that guarantees you Fast Passes to the two Galaxy's Edge attractions (plus Star Tours)? Obviously, both would be the cost of a standard one day pass with a pretty sizable premium added. I'd imagine selling such a pass would be a VERY hot commodity when Star Wars Land opens...
Less than 5%.

BoarderPhreak

Yay, FP to rides nobody would actually get FP for... And no choice in times or order. Might as well make a random selection like a scratch-off lottery. 🤣

Biff215

The only negative I see is potential diminished options beyond the three FP you pre-planned. That's assuming some guests who buy a one day pass do not access FP at all during their day, and now it's done for them. This would likely only be noticeable at the non-MK parks where there are fewer FP attractions to begin with.

I agree there is very little value in most of the options with a few exceptions. I also fear where this might lead, but we'll cross that bridge when (if?) we get there.

Wendy Pleakley

You guys are making too big a deal about this. It's for people who buy their tickets at the gate. They have no fast passes anyway, so why not set them up with some default times.

The Fastpasses are for the following day, so they're not actually for people buying at the gate. They're for people who decide to go the next day and buy their ticket ahead of time.

CaptainAmerica

The Fastpasses are for the following day, so they're not actually for people buying at the gate. They're for people who decide to go the next day and buy their ticket ahead of time.
Which can't be a large number of people, right?

Also I don't think it HAS TO be the following day specifically. I think it could be something where you buy a one-day ticket today to use four days from now.

Bartledvd

At worst its pointless what else will come from this with the data they analyze who can say but either way nothing any of us can do to change it other than not go.

AndyS2992

I don’t think it’s a bad idea but those selections are ridiculous. If the Magic Kingdom one included all three mountains for example then I could see it being quite a popular choice for spur of the moment visits, I’d pay a little more for those to be included.

Wendy Pleakley

Which can't be a large number of people, right?

Also I don't think it HAS TO be the following day specifically. I think it could be something where you buy a one-day ticket today to use four days from now.

If I'm reading the description correctly, this is not the case.

"With this ticket, 3 FastPass+ experiences are selected for you to use the next day"

"If you’d like to use your ticket on another day and choose your own 3 FastPass+ experiences, see the specified usage dates in the Important 1-Day Ticket Details during checkout."

It doesn't suggest an option to buy a ticket with pre-selected FastPasses on a future date.

CaptainAmerica

I don’t think it’s a bad idea but those selections are ridiculous. If the Magic Kingdom one included all three mountains for example then I could see it being quite a popular choice for spur of the moment visits, I’d pay a little more for those to be included.
How are they ridiculous? You're buying a one day ticket the day before and you're only paying face value. Your options are "crap fastpasses" or "no fastpasses." Not sure why the "crap fastpasses" option is ridiculous.

Bartledvd

Yeah but why would any of us want to change it even if we could? It doesn't hurt us at all.
I was thinking more along the lines what it could mean for other tiers of fastpass in the future, But honestly when we break down total cost of our trips we feel its still good value vs what we would have to pay for two weeks full of fun food and entertainment elsewhere.

Lets Respect

This is a test to see how to go about selling one-day tickets with FPs preloaded for Star Wars Land

Perhaps this will be the only way you get to ride both rides in SWL on the same day

IMO

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

How are they ridiculous? You're buying a one day ticket the day before and you're only paying face value. Your options are "crap fastpasses" or "no fastpasses." Not sure why the "crap fastpasses" option is ridiculous.
It’s ridiculous because guest experience should not be determined by how far in advance you buy your ticket. It’s ridiculous because WDW is trying to create the impression of “added value” in their absurdly priced tickets without offering any actual added value at all - bald-facedly taking advantage of the “rubes.” And it’s ridiculous because it’s the first step towards a day when WDW plans your schedule for you, removing any hint of spontaneity.

Essentially, it’s an intensification of all the worst parts of fastpass - not coincidentally, the parts that drew management to it in the first place.

jakeman

It’s ridiculous because fastpass is ridiculous. your experience should not be determined by how far in advance you buy your ticket. And it’s ridiculous because it’s the first step towards a day when WDW plans your schedule for you, removing any hint of spontaneity.
Spontaneity: Wandering around a packed theme park until you stumble upon an acceptable wait time.

CaptainAmerica

It’s ridiculous because fastpass is ridiculous. your experience should not be determined by how far in advance you buy your ticket.
That's how the entire world works. Want a reservation at a nice restaurant on February 14? Better not decide to call for a reservation on February 13. Want to fly from Boston to Los Angeles for less than $300? Better not try to book your ticket that same day at the airport. Want to go to the mall and not deal with major crowds? Probably should avoid the fourth Friday in November.

When you want to do things that are 1) expensive and/or 2) popular, advance planning is required. WDW is both of those things.

And it’s ridiculous because it’s the first step towards a day when WDW plans your schedule for you, removing any hint of spontaneity.
Give me a break. This is 100% optional and it applies to a tiny fraction of the average daily attendees.

Spontaneity: Wandering around a packed theme park until you stumble upon an acceptable wait time.
Don't forget lining up at 9:30 AM for dinner at Be Our Guest, which is exactly what you'd be doing if you couldn't make a reservation ahead of time.

PzJO6Fp.gif

Casper Gutman

Yes. That is absolutely spontaneity. And guess what - without fastpass, you find acceptable wait times more often. And if you’re familiar with the park, you can find them even more often.

And I’ve never even been in Be Our Guest despite having been to the park at least four times since it opened because, even starting out a month ahead, I couldn’t get a reservation. That didn’t happen in the days before ADRs and, specifically, WDW staffing to the numbers of ADRs.

The idea that advance planning within the park is just naturally necessary is absolutely untrue. Fifteen years ago, no one had to reserve rides months in advance, to draw up a rigid schedule for the day. It is that way now because WDW made it that way intentionally. Once again, people are trying to absolve WDW management of all blame by pretending they have no agency.

As to this being optional - look at what Feather said. This is the first step to Disney scheduling more and more of your day, with or without your conscious knowledge. This has obviously been a big part of the plan for FP plus from day one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom