Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

Tom P.

If this is truly something that Disney is doing, and if they have actually already placed the order as the article suggests, would it not make sense that we will hear an announcement from Disney soon? This seems like something they would want to actively promote, since it would both tamp down the criticism that began in earnest after the "door incident," plus it would give Disney fans something to cheer about. The announcement would, I think, be nothing but positive for the company.

I have no idea about the accuracy of the article, but the analysis in the article does make a lot of sense, and I think we all know a new monorail fleet has to happen sooner or later. And, as others have said, while that site is know for a lot of "clickbait" type activities, I have not seen evidence that they run with totally false stories, knowing that they are false, in order to generate traffic. I would not think that this article would have been posted if they did not at least genuinely believe that it had some legs to it.

Jonathan Wang

Disney/Monorail Nut
If this is truly something that Disney is doing, and if they have actually already placed the order as the article suggests, would it not make sense that we will hear an announcement from Disney soon? This seems like something they would want to actively promote, since it would both tamp down the criticism that began in earnest after the "door incident," plus it would give Disney fans something to cheer about. The announcement would, I think, be nothing but positive for the company.

I have no idea about the accuracy of the article, but the analysis in the article does make a lot of sense, and I think we all know a new monorail fleet has to happen sooner or later. And, as others have said, while that site is know for a lot of "clickbait" type activities, I have not seen evidence that they run with totally false stories, knowing that they are false, in order to generate traffic. I would not think that this article would have been posted if they did not at least genuinely believe that it had some legs to it.

if anything I was thinking that they bring them out for the 50th anniversary as a surprise. Did they always announce monorail changes?

I don't understand why Disney doesn't just build new monorails in central shops like they did a couple years ago (albeit with some parts from the two crashed ones).

Because they were building a monorail that they already had parts readily, and was a system they were use to. This would be a whole new train. the 300's wont fit our track, but if bombardier is willing to make a modified train for the WDW track, this would be very interesting.

ppete1975

You know it would make sense. They were building the theater (ok clearing the lot moving dirt around) then all of a sudden stopped... nothing to see here and wiped as clean as a ufo landing site, at about the same time as the piece fell off the monorail and the door opened. (I'm in my 40s so the memory might be fading but seems roughly the same time frame).

I will say this though.. they make billions and billions of dollars if its true, then its just stupid and cheap. They could have done both and given us more new rides.

aaronml

So does the Innovia 300 use a different type of track than the Innovia 200 (e.g. what they have deployed in Las Vegas)?

Since the Innovia 200 in LV was deployed as a replacement for refurbed old WDW rolling stock, I would assume at least it uses the same type of track as in WDW.

Bender123

if anything I was thinking that they bring them out for the 50th anniversary as a surprise. Did they always announce monorail changes?

Because they were building a monorail that they already had parts readily, and was a system they were use to. This would be a whole new train. the 300's wont fit our track, but if bombardier is willing to make a modified train for the WDW track, this would be very interesting.

One of the trains was just the front and back sections that were undamaged and the other was the undamaged pass anger cars with rebuilt/replaced driver cabs.

Building a whole fleet of 12 trains from scratch is not something they would likely want to do in house.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Any estimate of when we may see the first one roll out? (If you're allowed to say or even know, of course.) By the 50th?

No idea on timeline, but from what I have been told the project may not be "made public" until after the Gondolas are running. Not sure if this is speculation or fact but that is what I have been told.

But if the rumors are true that a deal is done and the papers pick up on it who knows how Disney will handle the announcement.

Jonathan Wang

Disney/Monorail Nut
If this is true, I hope they go with a level entry so they won't need the ramps anymore.
If they go level entry the doors wont open the same, original design was to keep that flush side where a sliding door couldn't do that. But if they do a level entry (i assume would be likely) then they would go with sliding doors

You know it would make sense. They were building the theater (ok clearing the lot moving dirt around) then all of a sudden stopped... nothing to see here and wiped as clean as a ufo landing site, at about the same time as the piece fell off the monorail and the door opened. (I'm in my 40s so the memory might be fading but seems roughly the same time frame).

I will say this though.. they make billions and billions of dollars if its true, then its just stupid and cheap. They could have done both and given us more new rides.
new monorails cost alot more than what that article was quoting... no doubt in my mind they will spend no less than 50-75 million just to get new trains, heck they might even opt to have 2 extras on top of the 12 they have. (possibly expand the monorail service center)

One of the trains was just the front and back sections that were undamaged and the other was the undamaged pass anger cars with rebuilt/replaced driver cabs.

Building a whole fleet of 12 trains from scratch is not something they would likely want to do in house.
agreed, building brand new monorails isnt exactly easy.

J2theGo

Are they also going to start charging to ride the monorail and or ferry? I think they could probably get away with charging for the monorail and not the ferry because they would have to provide at least 1 way for people to get to the MK for free.

Bender123

You don't just throw billions of dollars a year into upgrades like that. You have a set capital budget for each year and you, generally, stick to it. Even for a company the size of Disney, the capital outlays, right now, on a world wide scale, are staggering...

crxbrett

I don't know if the Mark VIs were officially announced or not. I want to say back then - no? I know the fleet didn't appear all at once though. I think they slowly brought new trains online over the course of 12-18 months? Someone else probably knows the dates better, but I think the Mark VIs first started appearing Nov or Dec '89 until the last trains rolled out in spring '91 just in time for the 20th celebration.

It makes sense Disney would roll out a shiny new fleet in time for the 50th. And with the door incident, overall disrepair some trains are in now and just the fact that they are going on 25+ years old now - at some point new trains were going to happen. And the 50th would be the perfect time to debut a new fleet. But it costs a lot of money and Disney doesn't always do what makes the most sense as we all know lol

My hope, if this is even true, would be new that the new trains slowly come online like they did for the Mark VIs and lead up to summer '21 for the 50th. If the same timeline pattern happened for the Mark VIIIs, it would mean we could see the first new trains pop up possibly late '19? Although they could start testing them during the night as early as next summer probably.

All speculation based on a rumor at this point of course, but I'm excited and happy that WDW could possibly receive a new Monorail fleet finally!

Last edited:

habuma

I hope they can change the exterior to be like the mark vi's with the Learjet nose and the stripes....

Totally agree. There's something iconic about that look and I kinda think that the standard Innovia 300 nose is kinda ugly. (That said, I may have an unpopular opinion that Disneyland's solid-colored monorails are my favorite.) Even so, new shiny monorails will be welcome, even if they have the standard design.

Jonathan Wang

Disney/Monorail Nut
I don't know if the Mark VIs were officially announced or not. I want to say back then - no? I know the fleet didn't appear all at once though. I think they slowly brought new trains online over the course of 12-18 months? Someone else probably knows the dates better, but I think the Mark V's first started appearing Nov or Dec '89 until the last trains rolled out in spring '91 just in time for the 20th celebration.

It makes sense Disney would roll out a shiny new fleet in time for the 50th. And with the door incident, overall disrepair some trains are in now and just the fact that they are going on 25+ years old now - at some point new trains were going to happen. And the 50th would be the perfect time to debut a new fleet. But it costs a lot of money and Disney doesn't always do what makes the most sense as we all know lol

My hope, if this is even true, would be new that the new trains slowly come online like they did for the Mark VIs and lead up to summer '21 for the 50th. If the same timeline pattern happened for the Mark VIIIs, it would mean we could see the first new trains pop up possibly late '19? Although they could start testing them during the night as early as next summer probably.

All speculation based on a rumor at this point of course, but I'm excited and happy that WDW could possibly receive a new Monorail fleet finally!
So I agree they would do a slow rollout but I’m thinking full official launch/ announcement would be for 50th. I remember the most recent models they made an announcement closer to receiving them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom