deleted

OG Runner

Disney believes so. For the consumer it's a value call and value is subjective. I don't find value in this for airport transportation because of the cost. I don't find value in MDE because of the time commitment. Others might in both cases.

To your second point, if I recall, it was a trial test for additional FastPasses for those guest staying on a concierge level.

Of course they are making decisions based on how much they think people are willing to spend on a product or service they provide. Apologies if I'm misunderstanding your stance, but you seem to be under the impression that one of their primary motivators is to stratify people based on their income. That's simply not true. They are stratifying you by how much money you are willing to give them not by how much you make. The former is class warfare, if you want to take the dramatic approach. The latter is just operating a for-profit business for a non-essential product.

Perhaps we are saying the same thing, but you seem to be taking these decisions as a personal slight to your economic class.

I do think we both have a clear view and understanding of the situation. At the same time, I do see it as unfair from an economic
standpoint. Recently, Disney added parking fees. Fees that pretty much add up to the cost of an additional night at the resort.
The cost of the Minnie Vans also amount to more than a night at an average resort. Disney has also added "Club 33" locations in each
of the Florida parks. I understand they are ways of increasing their overall profits, but it does really bring into focus those that have
to skrimp and save to go to Disney and those that have so much disposable income.

jakeman

I do think we both have a clear view and understanding of the situation. At the same time, I do see it as unfair from an economic
standpoint. Recently, Disney added parking fees. Fees that pretty much add up to the cost of an additional night at the resort.
The cost of the Minnie Vans also amount to more than a night at an average resort. Disney has also added "Club 33" locations in each
of the Florida parks. I understand they are ways of increasing their overall profits, but it does really bring into focus those that have
to skrimp and save to go to Disney and those that have so much disposable income.
A non-essential product is a bad example of economic unfairness.

I would even go so far to say, especially with regards to WDW, it's not a valid one at all.

OG Runner

A non-essential product is a bad example of economic unfairness.

I would even go so far to say, especially with regards to WDW, it's not a valid one at all.

What is an essential product, when you are talking about a vacation? The fact of the matter is that they are pricing
some options, out of the range of a number of their guests. I really doesn't matter if you think it valid or not.

Ripken10

What is an essential product, when you are talking about a vacation? The fact of the matter is that they are pricing
some options, out of the range of a number of their guests. I really doesn't matter if you think it valid or not.
unfortunately, for a service like the mini vans to the airport Jakeman is right. Demand has to dictate this price. If the pricepoint were lower to a point where any visitor to Disney could see it as reasonable, while you might be able to now afford it, you would still never be able to take it. Why? Because the demand for it would be so extremely high that being able to secure the quantity that is available -- you would have a better chance at winning the lottery or getting a FP to 7DMT. Demand is what dictates a price like this. It will do the same for the Star Wars Hotel. The lower the price, the more people that will want to do it, which mean the lower percentage of people that will be able to do it.

dreamfinder

Economics is fun with stuff like this. Not only is the price dictated by what the market will pay, but it's also influenced by the opportunity cost of offering that service. So say they average a trip every 10 minutes on property, and that the round trip to MCO takes 60 minutes. That means that for each MCO trip, they lose out on being able to offer 6 trips on property. So at $25 for an on property trip, $150 sounds about right.

(Yeah, it's been a few years since an econ course, and I know that it's not a perfect relationship, but work with me people)

DisneyJoe

Some options are always out of the range of other guests. You could stay on site in a tent at the campgrounds from $55 a night to as high as a suite at the Grand Floridian for $3500/night.

OG Runner

Some options are always out of the range of other guests. You could stay on site in a tent at the campgrounds from $55 a night to as high as a suite at the Grand Floridian for $3500/night.

Yes, but they provide those options. You can still stay at WDW, get into the parks early, get fast passes, etc. and you make the
choice of what resort you can afford or determine is the best value for you.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Economics is fun with stuff like this. Not only is the price dictated by what the market will pay, but it's also influenced by the opportunity cost of offering that service. So say they average a trip every 10 minutes on property, and that the round trip to MCO takes 60 minutes. That means that for each MCO trip, they lose out on being able to offer 6 trips on property. So at $25 for an on property trip, $150 sounds about right.

(Yeah, it's been a few years since an econ course, and I know that it's not a perfect relationship, but work with me people)

That sounds very right since they're not taking fares back from MCO to WDW. So, basically, you have to pay for a roundtrip with a Minnie Van to make it worth their while. And $150 for a private car roundtrip is pretty much exactly what the current market bears.

bluetiedye

And you honestly believe that $150.00 one way is a competitively priced option? Be realistic, Disney does sit down and determines
what will the "haves" pay for extras. You know guests in Deluxe resorts can now purchase additional Fast Passes. This is not even
an option in the Value resorts. It is very clear that Disney is sitting down and making these decisions, and yes they are determined
by how much you have and will spend.
Most of America looks at us planning our Disney World trips and feels the same way.

Lensman

I guess so, I just looked up Mears..a “luxury” van or suv is $126 from MCO to GF. I’ll stick with my ‘budget’ options, but the Mears vs Minnie doesn’t look too bad comparatively. I’m sure plenty of people will pay that difference for the Disney feel of the Minnie theme.
Thanks for the great info, 21stamps! So far, I think you've provided the only directly comparable option to the Minnie Van to the airport. And from this data point, Disney is charging 20% more - $24 more to be precise.

So in light of this, do people still think that Disney's $150 is crazy? I guess the thing that is a bit unfortunate is that there's not a cheaper Minnie Van option if you have 1-3 people.

Can the Minnie Van really take 6 people and all their luggage?

According to the principle that Disney will provide services at below cost as long as these services dissuade guests from renting a car and going off-property, this Minnie Van service to the airport shouldn't be too overpriced.

Bartattack

Coming from Europe..and being confused sometimes by the rules for tipping... I was wondering: do you tip the Minnie Van drivers? Or is it included in the service? (Or do you tip anyway even if it's included?)

Lensman

Coming from Europe..and being confused sometimes by the rules for tipping... I was wondering: do you tip the Minnie Van drivers? Or is it included in the service? (Or do you tip anyway even if it's included?)
If you search for "tipping" in the main Disney considering a service like Uber at WDW - Confirmed as Minnie Van thread, you'll see a lot of discussion on this.

It seemed to me that the answer is that drivers accept tips now even though they used to refuse them. You might ask for an update over in that thread since it's probably more applicable there. This thread is more for complaining about the high price of the airport transfer. :)

TrojanUSC

It would be strongly appreciated, particularly if the driver exceeds your expectations, helps with luggage (airport trips) or anything above and beyond. It is not, however, as essentially compulsory as tipping a restaurant server, which is completely expected.

slappy magoo

If any of us created a thing that cost $10 to make and market, and we charged $20, but some people were willing to pay $50, would we keep charging $20? Would we consider $50 even though some people couldn't pay $50? Would enough pay $50 to make it worthwhile? Would people who can't really afford $50 buy it anyway because it must be awesome if people are willing to pay $50?

I agree the service to the airport is overpriced. What worries me about someone who is not me willing to pay for the service is what it will do to the prices of other people providing car service to/from WDW. It reminds me of how ridiculously expensive event tickets are - musicians and pro sports team owners see what people are willing to pay scalpers, they think "hey we can get away with charging that much," they up the prices, scalpers up their prices, people still pay the higher scalped ticket prices, the owners/creators think "hey we can away with charging even more..." blather wince repeat. Similar situation, if Mears or other companies start seeing Minnie Vans doing well with this premium pricing, will they up their prices? Or will a race-to-the-bottom gig economy keep the prices competitive except for people willing to pay for anything if it has the Disney name attached?

OG Runner

Take the Magical Express. It takes you to your hotel, luggage and all and it is a free service. There is little or no advantage
to using the Minnie Van. Do tip the driver, when they unload your luggage, then go to dinner with the extra $150.00 US you
just saved.

jakeman

Take the Magical Express. It takes you to your hotel, luggage and all and it is a free service. There is little or no advantage
to using the Minnie Van. Do tip the driver, when they unload your luggage, then go to dinner with the extra $150.00 US you
just saved.
Except the potentially hours saved waiting for Magical Express. Again, just because there is no advantage or value to you, doesn't mean it holds true for others.

With that said, there are less expensive transports that save just as much time that will get you from the airport to Disney. In general, both Disney provided options are either going to be time consuming (Magical Express) or expensive (Minnie Van).

I believe an Uber, Lyft (non-Minnie Van) car hire or even a taxi would be more cost effective but come without the Disney branding.

OG Runner

Except the potentially hours saved waiting for Magical Express. Again, just because there is no advantage or value to you, doesn't mean it holds true for others.

With that said, there are less expensive transports that save just as much time that will get you from the airport to Disney. In general, both Disney provided options are either going to be time consuming (Magical Express) or expensive (Minnie Van).

I believe an Uber, Lyft (non-Minnie Van) car hire or even a taxi would be more cost effective but come without the Disney branding.

Yes, I was comparing the Disney options. I have never had a long wait for the Magical Express, but that could be time of year I usually
travel. I was in Florida, last week, and used Uber for several trips. They were less expensive than a taxi. They showed up very promptly
and were very courteous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom