Discovery Cove

scritchell

Original Poster
After some advice......
Having a look at some of the posts in this forum, and people are saying the 'Swim with Dolphin' option at DC is really not worth it as they are saying its a 30 second 25-50 yard pull?
What are people's experiences with this?
If i book without the Dolphin Swim, the price drops significantly

Are there options at Sea World or Aquatica to interact with Dolphins?

wendyphant

we did DC with swim. although the actual swim is as you described the interaction part with feeding and smoothing etc is longer. We loved it and are going back again

scritchell

Original Poster
we did DC with swim. although the actual swim is as you described the interaction part with feeding and smoothing etc is longer. We loved it and are going back again
Hi

I have looked at the cost and it is very VERY expensive, so I will need to have a real long think about this, If we didn't go to DC then it would free up funds to pay for Universal Studios for a couple of days etc

yensid67

Sea World has the Dolphin Nursery area...nothing like swimming with flipper, but still kind of nice easy going for the Dolphins, which is the most important aspect in terms of safety for the Dolphin. You will get to hear information on the dolphins, you can also take a behind the scenes tour with the dolphins to get a more one on one time!
We are doing the Discovery Cove Day Package which is basically a day at Discovery Cove WITHOUT the Dolphin swim for $177. Remember, Discovery Cove is all inclusive park meaning your breakfast and lunch are included as well as snacks and drinks including beer all day long! And they limit the amount of guests into the park each day, so its not crowded. The Day Package includes snorkeling with Stingrays, Tropical Fish and Sea Otters. Tropical Bird Aviary-birds will land on your head or hands and eat out of a cup. Lazy River-float around a river that winds through the Aviary AND ADMISSION TO SEA WORLD AND AQUATICA ARE INCLUDED FOR 14 DAYS AFTER YOUR VIST! So just from that point, its worth the Day Package...2 days at Sea World=$170.24 compared to Discovery Cove at $177

Last edited:

scritchell

Original Poster
Sea World has the Dolphin Nursery area...nothing like swimming with flipper, but still kind of nice easy going for the Dolphins, which is the most important aspect in terms of safety for the Dolphin. You will get to hear information on the dolphins, you can also take a behind the scenes tour with the dolphins to get a more one on one time!
We are doing the Discovery Cove Day Package which is basically a day at Discovery Cove WITHOUT the Dolphin swim for $177. Remember, Discovery Cove is all inclusive park meaning your breakfast and lunch are included as well as snacks and **** including beer all day long! And they limit the amount of guests into the park each day, so its not crowded. The Day Package includes snorkeling with Stingrays, Tropical Fish and Sea Otters. Tropical Bird Aviary-birds will land on your head or hands and eat out of a cup. Lazy River-float around a river that winds through the Aviary AND ADMISSION TO SEA WORLD AND AQUATICA ARE INCLUDED FOR 14 DAYS AFTER YOUR VIST! So just from that point, its worth the Day Package...2 days at Sea World=$170.24 compared to Discovery Cove at $177
Thanks - I will have to have a big long think, my biggest worry is my son getting in with the Dolphins and then deciding he doesnt want to touch them / and/or is too scared, an expensive gamble.....
When booking DC do the Sea World tickets have to be used after we visit DC or can they be used before?

yensid67

According to Package Detail: 14-day unlimited admission to SeaWorld® Orlando and Aquatica, SeaWorld's Waterpark™ around the date of your Discovery Cove reservation. This 14-day admission must be used consecutively with your visit to Discovery Cove, either before, after, or a combination of both.

If you are worried that your son will not want to swim with the Dolphins, I would suggest doing the day package without the Dolphin swim. You can always get him to interact with the Dolphins at Sea World. The Day Package starts at $177 includes...
Your Day Resort Package includes:
  • Snorkeling with thousands of tropical fish and rays in The Grand Reef .
  • Encounters with playful otters and curious marmosets in a freshwater aquarium
  • Hand feeding exotic birds in the free-flight Explorer's Aviary
  • Relaxing on pristine beaches
  • Floating along our scenic Wind-Away River
  • Freshly prepared breakfast and lunch and unlimited snacks, drinks and alcoholic beverages
  • Lockers, sunscreen, snorkel gear, changing facilities
  • All day self parking at Discovery Cove®
  • Unlimted admission to SeaWorld® Orlando and Aquatica, SeaWorld's Waterpark™ in Orlando for 14 consecutive days around the date of your reservation.
Maybe your son will enjoy this instead of the Dolphin swim? I would push this as what there is to do at the park and steer away from the swim.

scritchell

Original Poster
According to Package Detail: 14-day unlimited admission to SeaWorld® Orlando and Aquatica, SeaWorld's Waterpark™ around the date of your Discovery Cove reservation. This 14-day admission must be used consecutively with your visit to Discovery Cove, either before, after, or a combination of both.

If you are worried that your son will not want to swim with the Dolphins, I would suggest doing the day package without the Dolphin swim. You can always get him to interact with the Dolphins at Sea World. The Day Package starts at $177 includes...
Your Day Resort Package includes:
  • Snorkeling with thousands of tropical fish and rays in The Grand Reef .
  • Encounters with playful otters and curious marmosets in a freshwater aquarium
  • Hand feeding exotic birds in the free-flight Explorer's Aviary
  • Relaxing on pristine beaches
  • Floating along our scenic Wind-Away River
  • Freshly prepared breakfast and lunch and unlimited snacks, drinks and alcoholic beverages
  • Lockers, sunscreen, snorkel gear, changing facilities
  • All day self parking at Discovery Cove®
  • Unlimted admission to SeaWorld® Orlando and Aquatica, SeaWorld's Waterpark™ in Orlando for 14 consecutive days around the date of your reservation.
Maybe your son will enjoy this instead of the Dolphin swim? I would push this as what there is to do at the park and steer away from the swim.
This is the thing though, if we decide to go to DC I will do the dolphin swim, I wouldn't go without doing that

yensid67

Well then that's settled...I would suggest getting in touch with Discovery Cove and let them know your concerns about your son. I am sure they have dealt with this kind of situation before and have a plan.

Since you are in UK I would assume email is best? discoverycove.com or call: 407-513-4600(local Number)

scritchell

Original Poster
Well then that's settled...I would suggest getting in touch with Discovery Cove and let them know your concerns about your son. I am sure they have dealt with this kind of situation before and have a plan.

Since you are in UK I would assume email is best? discoverycove.com or call: 407-513-4600(local Number)
Thanks, I shall email them

The Empress Lilly

I did the Dolphin Swim. Partly because it felt a bit pointless to do DC without it. As said above, the swim is a twenty second pull over thirty meters. But you do get to spend 15 minutes or so up close with them, standing in the water as the cetaceans swim around you.

It was alright. A bit expensive for what you get so I've never done it again. Well, actually I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of having swum with a dolphine, for the sheer simple fact of having done just that. Although the actual act was short and not very spectacular in any way.
But you do it because a dolphine is a charismatic animal, you do it for the metaphysical experience, the mythical and mystical experience of interacting in person with an animal of such a different environment, who you can yet relate to. If you look in its eyes somebody is home, they are clever, they are aware. Not much smarter than a doge maybe, but then, I always enjoy interacting with those too. And when else are you ever going to get close to them and feel their power in the water. (Boy do they have a turbo drive! I move in the water with the same grace as they move in land, what a difference!)

Bear in mind they forbid you from taking any pictures. If you want a picture of your son's once in a lifetime swim with a dolphin you have to buy it at extortionate prices, about the same amount as the swim itself.

Last edited:

scritchell

Original Poster
I did the Dolphin Swim. Partly because it felt a bit pointless to do DC without it. As said above, the swim is a twenty second pull over thirty meters. But you do get to spend 15 minutes or so up close with them, standing in the water as the cetaceans swim around you.

It was alright. A bit expensive for what you get so I've never done it again. Well, actually I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of having swum with a dolphine, for the sheer simple fact of having done just that. Although the actual act was short and not very spectacular in any way.
But you do it because a dolphine is a charismatic animal, you do it for the metaphysical experience, the mythical and mystical experience of interacting in person with an animal of such a different environment, who you can yet relate to. If you look in its eyes somebody is home, they are clever, they are aware. Not much smarter than a doge maybe, but then, I always enjoy interacting with those too. And when else are you ever going to get close to them and feel their power in the water. (Boy do they have a turbo drive! I move in the water with the same grace as they move in land, what a difference!)

Bear in mind they forbid you from taking any pictures. If you want a picture of your son's once in a lifetime swim with a dolphin you have to buy it at extortionate prices, about the same amount as the swim itself.
So much info to take in, and decisions to make lol

scritchell

Original Poster
I did DC for the first time last year with my sister and her husband. They did the dolphin swim and I did not. I watched them though and we all agreed that it was fun but not worth it. You can touch them at SeaWorld and the swim is a super quick tow. It will save you a LOT of money to not do it so I say don't. You can still see the dolphins and enjoy them! Then go to SeaWorld bc you can for free with a DC ticket and touch them during a feeding.
Hi thanks for this
If we go DC we will go and do the dolphin swim as the difference between DC with a swim or without isn’t a lot
The bulk of the cost is DC entry
Just working out whether to do DC or not?!

21stamps

Hi thanks for this
If we go DC we will go and do the dolphin swim as the difference between DC with a swim or without isn’t a lot
The bulk of the cost is DC entry
Just working out whether to do DC or not?!

Based on what you’ve said about your son in other threads, swimming.. I’d skip DC. Do Universal.. he’ll have a lot of fun! :)
Go for a dolphin swim once he’s a stronger swimmer.

21stamps

This is the thing.....
It’s a once in a lifetime trip so I ideally want to fit as much things in as possible

I understand, but if a kid isn’t accustomed to being in the water, then it doesn’t sound like the best use of your time. There’s so much else to do in Orlando, for less money and sans water.. and there’s so many other/better places to do a dolphin swim, outside of Orlando. I’m sure you guys will take another vacation at some point.. maybe to the ocean.

scritchell

Original Poster
I understand, but if a kid isn’t accustomed to being in the water, then it doesn’t sound like the best use of your time. There’s so much else to do in Orlando, for less money and sans water.. and there’s so many other/better places to do a dolphin swim, outside of Orlando. I’m sure you guys will take another vacation at some point.. maybe to the ocean.
Well we still have 15 months before we visit from the UK
plenty of time to get him swimming :)

The Empress Lilly

Well we still have 15 months before we visit from the UK
plenty of time to get him swimming :)
You do not need to be a good swimmer at all for DC. More like gently floating.

Your DC ticket gives you access for 14 days to Sea World, and Aquatica and Busch if you want. If you have time you can spread out the costs over several days, as it were.

I went ahead and bought me a $400 DC ticket for next week. Frankly, out of sheer spite that Disney closed my shark swim at their water park. So now my dollar goes to the competition, to get even. Well, that is, 400 out of the $6946642.93 they squeeze out of me this trip. :(

scritchell

Original Poster
You do not need to be a good swimmer at all for DC. More like gently floating.

Your DC ticket gives you access for 14 days to Sea World, and Aquatica and Busch if you want. If you have time you can spread out the costs over several days, as it were.

I went ahead and bought me a $400 DC ticket for next week. Frankly, out of sheer spite that Disney closed my shark swim at their water park. So now my dollar goes to the competition, to get even. Well, that is, 400 out of the $6946642.93 they squeeze out of me this trip. :(
That is one of the advantages receiving tickets for some other parks as we are going to visit sea world etc so that has a major factor in my decision
What did Disney close??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom