Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Nickels5

Footage of Shanghai’s TSL:

This doesn’t tell us that much, as it’s similar to the two existing ones rather than DHS’s version, but I think the Woody’s Roundup footage can give us a broad idea of how a toy-themed Mater ride system comes across - and it does in fact seem to work better than the Cars theme (I think because the toy theme fits the simplicity of the ride system better).

Also, I love that the video refers to it as “the 7th theme park of Shanghai Disneyland.” Things must be going well out there 😋

I still wish we were getting rc racers, a third new attraction would have gone a long way.

Jones14

It’s ugly as sin.
Weird question: did you find it ugly when you saw it in promotional photos and videos, or did you find it nice until you saw it in person?

I ask because it seems cute in pictures, but I’ve seen a LOT of talk about the sightline issues it creates, especially in Shanghai.

Kman101

or heck a children's play area (a good one like bone yard etc) would have done wonders.

Good point. Would have been a smart idea.

It's not the prettiest but we should have got the Critter Carousel in a Woody themed area. I know sight lines are an issue but I'd have advocated for Parachute Drop and RC too (not that I think they look anywhere near great). Again, not that they're great but it gives guests more to do .... it's a bit disappointing they didn't fill this land out with lots of little things to do. The coaster and saucers look nice and will be great, IMHO, of course, but I've also always said they needed more in this land.

But their thing is lands with an e-ticket (no Mania is not an e-ticket but they probably view it as such considering it's popularity) and two side attractions (Cars Land) so that's what they did here too (instead of truly filling out the land with lots to do, hope everyone's ready for two hour waits for Saucers and Slinky Dog). Of course Star Wars will have two e-tickets and it will need something else .... They also forgot that Cars Land is a much more interesting land to look around at. I still don't necessarily mind Toy Story Land but I've said they could have added more and certain things aren't great. It's not the most exciting land to walk around for most of us but for a lot of people they're actually really excited for it. But I have heard mention of "that's it" in terms of rides when I listen to people talk by the concept art walls. So should be interesting when they're waiting two hours for Swirling Saucers and a short coaster.

Last edited:

MrHappy

Is it just me but I always thought the giant Toy Story Characters are creepy.

What would be cool is if they could create and illusion that the Toys are living.
I get what you're saying. Monday Morning QB'ing here, but it would've been interesting if we weren't "shrunk down to the size of toys" to play in Andy's backyard, but rather the Toys and people were at real life scale (so we guests would be "Andy's" not toys). This may have given the opportunity for the doll-sized toys to be some really interesting animatronics scattered throughout the new land. This would have represented the actual movie too and no need to make believe that you've been shrunken (and avoid that whole scale convo that I cringe everything it's mentioned). I get why they went they way they did though. I anticipate the land to be very fun.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
This has probably been asked already and if so forgive my asking: BUT what, if anything will happen to Pixar Place as a result of this expansion? One doesn't negate the other -- obviously TSL and Pixar Place can coexist but doesn't Pixar Place becomes somewhat redundant or unnecessary now?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom