Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

The Empress Lilly

Maybe they didn't want to create the mistake they made with the MK being concrete canyons and instead create something more open and lush and less claustrophobic?
Which concrete canyons?

I find the MK embracing. Neither canyons nor concrete anywhere. Well maybe the area between Mermaid and Dwarf? Yes, certainly. NFL is too closed there, and too open in the stroller parking lot. But apart from later MK alterations - oftentimes the work of clowns and midgets - which areas feel claustrophobic?

DinoInstitute

Consolidating the buildings would have created more openness.
There's a difference between open unused space and a feeling of openness in the land.
Which concrete canyons?

I find the MK embracing. Neither canyons nor concrete anywhere. Well maybe the area between Mermaid and Dwarf? Yes, certainly. NFL is too closed there, and too open in the stroller parking lot. But apart from later MK alterations - oftentimes the work of clowns and midgets - which areas feel claustrophobic?
Adventureland around the magic carpets, the area around Peter Pan, and the northwest part of Frontierland with BTMM/SM, to name a few areas that have always felt claustrophobic to me.

lazyboy97o

There's a difference between open unused space and a feeling of openness in the land.
Yes, but it is not always the direct relationship your comment suggests. The organization of Toy Story Land seems to create openness through objects in space, so it is actually using open unused land to create that sense of openness. Objects in space design is not typically conducive to themed design as it is all about a highly controlled experience. A dedicated open space can also be designed so as to create an edge and function as a space making object while also providing the benefit of being available for future use.

matt9112

Really?
I used to hit a park, then dash across it - (sometimes leaving my wife to watch the kids when they were smaller and couldn't keep up) over to the paper ticket dispenser.
Repeat that process at another dispenser.
Now our rides are scheduled ahead of time and we can use the free time in between for standby rides if the wait is short enough, as well as take in the sights, eat shop...

when are the lines shorter at the MK I will wait... and let's not kid ourselves besides pandora the other three parks can be done fast fast free in a day.

RSoxNo1

The aerial below infuriates me a bit with the whole process. Hollywood Studios is woefully underbuilt and will be unprepared for the crushing weight that will be coming its way once Galaxy's Edge is online. The image shows an example of poor planning in preparation.
View attachment 272630

Why was Woody's Lunchbox built so far away from the Toy Story Mania building? If you pushed the Lunchbox closer to the Mania building, creating a row of facades with the new entrance, that current plot of land becomes open for a small-form attraction. Something like the Critter Carousel could be an option. It's not great, and it's not a new E-ticket, but that's not what DHS needs. DHS is desperate for B, C, and D attractions. Small form diversions. A Toy Story Land with only 2 new options will not cut it going forward.

Hopefully TDO is currently planning for great expansion after Galaxy's Edge, but I doubt it.
Did Woody's lunchbox utilize the existing kitchen for Studio Catering Co. that was there? That could be why it's in the spot that it's in.

Edit: Nevermind, doesn't look like it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Consolidating the buildings would have created more openness.

The person I was replying to wanted to consolidate buildings to put up more buildings. That's not more openness.

Which concrete canyons?

Neither canyons nor concrete anywhere. Well maybe the area between Mermaid and Dwarf? Yes, certainly. NFL is too closed there, and too open in the stroller parking lot.

If you think NFL is too closed, then what do you think about the old FL avenue which was pretty much left intact? No green spaces. Buildings side by side with no gaps on either side and always crowded because it's a chokepoint. The new NFL is much more open, but... they used that openness for castle archways (the 'concrete') without more green space.

Of course, the 'concrete' is metaphorical, not all the frontispieces are concrete, but Main Street and the SGE pathway and Old FL are just canyons with all the spatial charm of a busy NYC street.

Diagon Alley is also a canyon because they're re-creating a city alley. The castle park with the 'blessing of size' didn't need to do the same. And the NFL should have fixed issues with the old FL, not ignore them.

#NotAPixieDuster

lazyboy97o

The person I was replying to wanted to consolidate buildings to put up more buildings. That's not more openness.
No, @MKeeler said it would make the space available for a "small-form attraction" and then used a carousel as an example. Even then, buildings can still be designed so as to create a sense of openness without just resorting to objects in space.

Incomudro

when are the lines shorter at the MK I will wait... and let's not kid ourselves besides pandora the other three parks can be done fast fast free in a day.

I didn't say that the lines were shorter, and shorter compared to what?
My last trip?
Before Magic Bands?
Some other point in time?
Anyway... On our most recent trip (May2016) we had a fastpass for two MK rides.
Don't remember which ones specifically, but likely Splash and Big Thunder or Splash and Space.
With those times set, we checked out things in between that we would normally skip - Philharmagic, Tiki Birds.

MKeeler

No, @MKeeler said it would make the space available for a "small-form attraction" and then used a carousel as an example. Even then, buildings can still be designed so as to create a sense of openness without just resorting to objects in space.

Yes. it's also why I feel it is a shame that Slinky Dog was used on the roller-coaster as opposed to another toy (race cars, a toy train, etc.). The roller-coaster presumably will not have a stretch and squash feature that would make sense for a slinky, so it is just a choice for a recognizable character on the tracks, as opposed to a thematic choice. The Slinky Dog Zigzag spin from Paris/Hong Kong provides the kind of small-form flat ride you could slot in that space to greater utilize the space while still maintaining an open feel. You would be able to see clear from the Lunchbox over the Zigzag spin attraction to the Alien Swirling Saucers, with the appropriate landscaping and design that would accompany it. You would get the kinetics of the attraction and the pathways all around it. To me, I see greater potential in an approach like that, than the current setup, which seems so limiting.

Jones14

Yes. it's also why I feel it is a shame that Slinky Dog was used on the roller-coaster as opposed to another toy (race cars, a toy train, etc.). The roller-coaster presumably will not have a stretch and squash feature that would make sense for a slinky, so it is just a choice for a recognizable character on the tracks, as opposed to a thematic choice. The Slinky Dog Zigzag spin from Paris/Hong Kong provides the kind of small-form flat ride you could slot in that space to greater utilize the space while still maintaining an open feel. You would be able to see clear from the Lunchbox over the Zigzag spin attraction to the Alien Swirling Saucers, with the appropriate landscaping and design that would accompany it. You would get the kinetics of the attraction and the pathways all around it. To me, I see greater potential in an approach like that, than the current setup, which seems so limiting.

While I see what you mean in principle, I think the visual of Slinky on a coaster track is far more appealing than the Zigzag Spin approach, which is one of the ugliest rides in a Disney park ever. Besides, Zigzag Spin approaches the "stretching" in the exact same way as Slinky Dog Dash does, so it's not like one of them is getting it more "right" than the other.

I'd sooner have the Critter Carousel come as an eventual replacement for those beige buildings to the right of the land's entrance.

matt9112

Adventureland around the magic carpets, the area around Peter Pan, and the northwest part of Frontierland with BTMM/SM, to name a few areas that have always felt claustrophobic to me.

diagon ally is the perfect blend IMHO the gold standard not from a theme point of view but feeling so open yet so packed. its wierd but the place feels huge like walking around a modern city yet its obviously full of narrow nooks etc.

Marc Davis Fan

Footage of Shanghai’s TSL:

This doesn’t tell us that much, as it’s similar to the two existing ones rather than DHS’s version, but I think the Woody’s Roundup footage can give us a broad idea of how a toy-themed Mater ride system comes across - and it does in fact seem to work better than the Cars theme (I think because the toy theme fits the simplicity of the ride system better).

Also, I love that the video refers to it as “the 7th theme park of Shanghai Disneyland.” Things must be going well out there 😋

space42

Footage of Shanghai’s TSL:

This doesn’t tell us that much, as it’s similar to the two existing ones rather than DHS’s version, but I think the Woody’s Roundup footage can give us a broad idea of how a toy-themed Mater ride system comes across - and it does in fact seem to work better than the Cars theme (I think because the toy theme fits the simplicity of the ride system better).

Also, I love that the video refers to it as “the 7th theme park of Shanghai Disneyland.” Things must be going well out there 😋

Wow - looks like one of those cheap knock off Disney parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom