News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

CTXRover

In the event this goes into effect and they think about charging those who already booked reservations, I've screen shot the parking rules at the time I booked our upcoming trip (cropped out). I honestly don't think they should charge additional fees not disclosed at time of booking.

They shouldn't be doing this at all. If this is accurate about the parking fees, I am hoping this gets a lot of bad press and they are overwhelmed by calls and emails. They have no reasonable rationale despite what they may claim to do this after nearly 47 years of the resort parking being complimentary.

20180314_083037.jpg

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In the event this goes into effect and they think about charging those who already booked reservations, I've screen shot the parking rules at the time I booked our upcoming trip (cropped out). I honestly don't think they can charge additional fees not disclosed at time of booking.

They shouldn't be doing this at all. If this is accurate about the parking fees, I am hoping this gets a lot of bad press and are overwhelmed by calls and emails. They have no reasonable rationale despite what they may claim to do this after nearly 47 years of the resort parking being complimentary.

View attachment 270192

Terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.
...good luck winning an argument against that in a court in Orange or Osceola county, Florida.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.
...good luck winning an argument against that in a court in Orange or Osceola county, Florida.
In the begining the squeeky wheel will get the grease as it were. You will get compensated if you complain loud enough in a case like this. Not in court obviously, but Disney will try and smooth things over with guests that complain loudly. Unfortunatly, most guests will just pay the fee.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
hearing parking rates may be based on the hotel tier (value, moderate, deluxe) and dvc members will not have to pay the parking fee

the interesting thing here is...why would they charge different rates for parking at value, moderate, and deluxe resorts other than the fact they feel like they can get more from those staying at more expensive resorts?

also, I thought the whole value, moderate, and deluxe categories would be basically going away and resorts will be tiered more based on their location and popularity?

details from another site:
"The new policy would require guests to pay for overnight parking, per night, at all of the Disney owned resort hotels at the Walt Disney World Resort. Disney Vacation Club guests staying using their points would not have to pay for parking as part of a new membership perk.

Prices have not yet been revealed for the overnight parking, but it will depend on the type of resort (value, moderate, and deluxe will all have different pricing). A start date has also yet to be announced.

Valet parking prices at resorts will also be raised as part of these changes. These changes will not affect guests visiting resorts for dining, shopping, or otherwise. The paid parking is only for vehicles staying at the resorts overnight."

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
hearing parking rates may be based on the hotel tier (value, moderate, deluxe) and dvc members will not have to pay the parking fee

the interesting thing here is...why would they charge different rates for parking at value, moderate, and deluxe resorts other than the fact they feel like they can get more from those staying at more expensive resorts?

also, I thought the whole value, moderate, and deluxe categories would be basically going away and resorts will be tiered more based on their location and popularity?

Yeah, that's doesn't make any sense considering the bomb on pricing they are about to drop at pop, Caribbean, and AoA (that's a metaphor...don't call the FBI)...

...but man, the tiers of pricing would have to be reversed, wouldn't it? More at all star than GF?

I'd love to watch the fallout on that 😳

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Yeah, that's doesn't make any sense considering the bomb on pricing they are about to drop at pop, Caribbean, and AoA (that's a metaphor...don't call the FBI)...

...but man, the tiers of pricing would have to be reversed, wouldn't it? More at all star than GF?

I'm also shocked that these changes would NOT possible affect those dining, shopping, etc. at resorts... thought this might be more of a way to close the loophole where some will park at Contemporary to get to MK but I guess its more to sock it those staying on property rather than encouraging folks to stay on property

The Claaawww

What is this bomb on pricing you speak of?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm also shocked that these changes would NOT possible affect those dining, shopping, etc. at resorts... thought this might be more of a way to close the loophole where some will park at Contemporary to get to MK but I guess its more to sock it those staying on property rather than encouraging folks to stay on property

Wait a minute...free for "squatters"?

That makes no damn sense...

Wow...If true, that just means they're Using it as yet another way to jack hotel rates and drive people to overpriced dvc...

Oops, have I said too much??

AEfx

Who is to say that some time in the near future they won't add a fee for Magical Express? Afterall, it has been mentioned several times that people are paying for that service that never use it too. Guests who drive to WDW don't need Magical Express. Maybe they're waiting until they have guests 'hooked' on Magical Express and then start a new fee.

Never happen. Ever.

Whatever brainchild came up with DME (which wasn't really a stretch, they just basically teamed up with the company that was already providing the service), surely has a special shrine built to them in whatever dank cave the proverbial bean counters live in as they work their sums year after year. It is the glue that holds the "you don't need a car, we take care of everything!" mentality that "Magic Your Way" (and the enormous profitability of the resort in the past decade) is entirely based upon.

The amount that Disney could charge per-person for DME as an "add-on" round-trip would be LESS than what they make extra on you per day of your visit because you used DME. It's all about keeping you captive on property, so at minimum you are buying their $15 school-cafeteria quality quick-service hamburgers and $4 bottles of water for every meal.

That's actually more what this parking fee is about than anything else. Sure, short term it will bring in slightly more revenue which I am sure was a selling point along the line. But the mid-term reasoning behind it really is - they don't want you to pay the parking fee - because they don't want you to bring a car in the first place. People who bring cars leave property to get cheaper food, to go to Universal, spend time at other attractions, etc. Disney would be delighted if they ended up with empty resort parking lots.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Never happen. Ever.

Whatever brainchild came up with DME (which wasn't really a stretch, they just basically teamed up with the company that was already providing the service), surely has a special shrine built to them in whatever dank cave the proverbial bean counters live in as they work their sums year after year. It is the glue that holds the "you don't need a car, we take care of everything!" mentality that "Magic Your Way" is entirely based upon.

The amount that Disney could charge per-person for DME as an "add-on" round-trip would be LESS than what they make extra on you per day of your visit because you used DME. It's all about keeping you captive on property, so at minimum you are buying their $15 school-cafeteria quality quick-service hamburgers and $4 bottles of water for every meal.
I agree completely. In theory. In practice though, with the way Disney is nickel and diming these days. Maybe they try and find the price point that keeps DME humming at the same booking level, but also extracts a few more dollars from the guest customer.

LSLS

I agree completely. In theory. In practice though, with the way Disney is nickel and diming these days. Maybe they try and find the price point that keeps DME humming at the same booking level, but also extracts a few more dollars from the guest customer.

It's probably far more likely they bring in the resort fee and the advertise a "New and improved" DME service.

Tony the Tigger

When we were in NYC the daily parking charge was 25.00, going to Key West this fall and the hotel charges 20.00 per day for parking.....

And the rare times I am forced to go to Miami, it’s $35. But the same company doesn’t get to charge me $100 for a theme park ticket. They aren’t virtually assured I will spend every dining dollar at their establishment for the length of my stay. They aren’t likely to have merchandise for sale at every turn.

This hits FL resident AP’s who are outside the Orlando/Tampa areas and not close enough driving distance for a quick day trip.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Never happen. Ever.

Whatever brainchild came up with DME (which wasn't really a stretch, they just basically teamed up with the company that was already providing the service), surely has a special shrine built to them in whatever dank cave the proverbial bean counters live in as they work their sums year after year. It is the glue that holds the "you don't need a car, we take care of everything!" mentality that "Magic Your Way" (and the enormous profitability of the resort in the past decade) is entirely based upon.

That's actually more what this parking fee is about than anything else. Sure, short term it will bring in slightly more revenue which I am sure was a selling point along the line. But the mid-term reasoning behind it really is - they don't want you to pay the parking fee - because they don't want you to bring a car in the first place. People who bring cars leave property to get cheaper food, to go to Universal, spend time at other attractions, etc. Disney would be delighted if they ended up with empty resort parking lots.
I agree with both sides of this point...

It's absolutely meant to be a deterrent...like the manhattan parking fees...

It also goes hand in hand with the pink polka dot vans...which hasn't been brought up yet.

That's classic Disney: creating revenue by driving you away from other revenue...the Dutch door.

But the outlier on ME is what If Mears were to go away?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And the rare times I am forced to go to Miami, it’s $35. But the same company doesn’t get to charge me $100 for a theme park ticket. They aren’t virtually assured I will spend every dining dollar at their establishment for the length of my stay. They aren’t likely to have merchandise for sale at every turn.

This hits FL resident AP’s who are outside the Orlando/Tampa areas and not close enough driving distance for a quick day trip.

You mean the ones they want NO part of right now...but will beg to prop them up during the next recession?

AEfx

Possible, but I don't think there is much of a "Goldilocks" range for them to hit since they have to deal with the "free market" outside of their gates when it comes to getting you to their property from MCO to begin with. They really couldn't charge more than $20/person for it, because otherwise someone would compete with them and do it cheaper (and, Uber probably already does?). While they can charge whatever they want once you are there, and it seems they will with the $50/day for 3 FP+'s and other such craziness, it is all about getting you there.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Wait a minute...free for "squatters"?

That makes no damn sense...

Wow...If true, that just means they're Using it as yet another way to jack hotel rates and drive people to overpriced dvc...

Oops, have I said too much??

no... I think all Disney resorts may one day have a DVC portion and DVC may have different tiers as well. Just speculation on my park... but that is prepaid money and pretty much guaranteed attendance by them or renters - most DVC resorts operate at 90% occupancy all year

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom