NY Times Article about Disney Cruises

eliza61nyc

LOL, articles like this are funny to me. Author goes on a Disney cruise and then complains it's "all Disney, all the time". Duh!! needed a college degree to figure that one out.

The article says it was "Stressful" but he does not say why he was stressed out. the only thing I saw wrong was the ice cream machine was broken on day one.

Last edited:

NelleBelle

I thought there was a definite "anti-Disney" tone when the author states he hasn't been to a Disney park since he was in the "single digits" and that visiting a Disney resort or cruise was "frankly not my bag." He made it sound like he was dragged on the cruise by his wife and 5-year old daughter. Then he makes it sound like Disney keeps secrets on how many people cruise their line when the spokeswoman wouldn't answer (maybe she didn't have the information...if you're a travel journalist, make a concerted effort and do some research). His review of the waitstaff CM calling his daughter "princess" was fairly funny! I'm sure all the CMs call the kids some similar name because they don't know their names! Seemed like it was a very last minute "assignment". Booking BBB--I'm sure all that was left were times on CC! I thought the story on Disney Springs that ran in the NYT was better, honestly

MomofPrincessGrace

His review of the waitstaff CM calling his daughter "princess" was fairly funny! I'm sure all the CMs call the kids some similar name because they don't know their names! Seemed like it was a very last minute "assignment". Booking BBB--I'm sure all that was left were times on CC! I
My daughter, im sure like his, LOVED being called princess. Last time at WDW every time a CM would speak to her they would call her princess. She thought it was so cool!

eliza61nyc

Good read. It's great to get perspective from non-Disney lovers. While I am a lover, I fully understand that some people just see it as loud kids and cheese. Which, it is. But I can see past that to enjoy the magic. But others just can't and want more luxury and authentic vacationing experiences and there's some special in that too.
Very true but then why go on a disney cruise?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The premise of this thread seems more a dig of the times than of their take...

I'm a Washington post guy - have been Since college - but anyone questioning the quality of the Times is usually doing it for a different agenda. They have jerks and snobs...all papers do...but to detest it probably means you shouldn't read it.

There are other papers...the austrailian fantasy rag comes to mind.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

The reason a lot of parents "tolerate" Disney that don't enjoy it or theme parks in general, for the kid!
See truthfully I never understood that especially nowadays. As much as I love Disney there simple are too many other places on the planet where your family can have "magical vacations". Almost all the major cruise lines have some sort of "kid" friendly program without being immersed 24/7

Next most kids get introduced to Disney through their parents, the parents have brought into this notion that some how they will grow up traumatized if they don't get to the mouseworld. which is totally absurd. Again I know a number of parents who feel Disney is too commercial and have not gone and their kids are totally functional children.

I just can't imagine dropping thousands of dollars not to mention wasting valuable vacation time and some one is miserable.

Club Cooloholic

See truthfully I never understood that especially nowadays. As much as I love Disney there simple are too many other places on the planet where your family can have "magical vacations". Almost all the major cruise lines have some sort of "kid" friendly program without being immersed 24/7

Next most kids get introduced to Disney through their parents, the parents have brought into this notion that some how they will grow up traumatized if they don't get to the mouseworld. which is totally absurd. Again I know a number of parents who feel Disney is too commercial and have not gone and their kids are totally functional children.

I just can't imagine dropping thousands of dollars not to mention wasting valuable vacation time and some one is miserable.
Kids do hear about the trips from other kids and relatives, and parents are usually willing to try something once. I actually think a Disney Cruise is a good in between. There is not nearly the same amount of stress and planning that is required for a trip to WDW. If you don't care about tastings and kids getting makeovers the DCL is pretty relaxing! Also,the DCL is the most family friendly if no other reason there are way less drunk guests and the restaurants and public spaces are far more kid friendly.

21stamps

My daughter, im sure like his, LOVED being called princess. Last time at WDW every time a CM would speak to her they would call her princess. She thought it was so cool!

My sister and her husband are taking their kids for the first time next month.. I can’t imagine my sister and brother-in-law’s faces if their daughter gets called “Princess” repeatedly. I wish I could see a live video if it happens.lol. They will hate it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My sister and her husband are taking their kids for the first time next month.. I can’t imagine my sister and brother-in-law’s faces if their daughter gets called “Princess” repeatedly. I wish I could see a live video if it happens.lol. They will hate it.

I've seen that "princess" stuff far too much...on land and at sea

NelleBelle

As far as all this "princess" stuff...what would people prefer their kids be called when the staff see hundreds of kids all day long? For instance, I volunteer at my kids' school and help serve their hot lunch. I don't know every kids name and I feel bad asking their names over and over, so for a lot of them, I'll call them "bud/buddy", "friend", or other term of endearment you might call a kid. If that's what's going to set people off about a Disney cruise, boy howdy, they're going to be in for a rude awakening when they meet some of the cruise directors and how the adults are treated at the evening shows. :rolleyes:

NelleBelle

The premise of this thread seems more a dig of the times than of their take...

I'm a Washington post guy - have been Since college - but anyone questioning the quality of the Times is usually doing it for a different agenda. They have jerks and snobs...all papers do...but to detest it probably means you shouldn't read it.

There are other papers...the austrailian fantasy rag comes to mind.
See, I do like to read a lot of the Times articles, but I really found myself scratching my head at it. I just couldn't believe that someone who supposedly is a travel journalist seemed so unprepared (regardless if it was a Disney cruise or not). There were some points in the article I could agree with, but I couldn't see how the article's title tied in to the whole piece (that should've been addressed by his editor, frankly). I don't know, I guess another poster summed it up best..."meh". One a positive note, the author did seem to start to enjoy his cruise towards the end (which is why I always recommend a 7-night cruise for a first-time cruise) :)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
See, I do like to read a lot of the Times articles, but I really found myself scratching my head at it. I just couldn't believe that someone who supposedly is a travel journalist seemed so unprepared (regardless if it was a Disney cruise or not). There were some points in the article I could agree with, but I couldn't see how the article's title tied in to the whole piece (that should've been addressed by his editor, frankly). I don't know, I guess another poster summed it up best..."meh". One a positive note, the author did seem to start to enjoy his cruise towards the end (which is why I always recommend a 7-night cruise for a first-time cruise) :)

Don't get me wrong...many travel writers look down on Disney...it's trendy sometimes and let's face it: disney sells not reality...there is no authenticity.

So I have read that many times...I just think this was criticism more of the outlet than the article

21stamps

As far as all this "princess" stuff...what would people prefer their kids be called when the staff see hundreds of kids all day long? For instance, I volunteer at my kids' school and help serve their hot lunch. I don't know every kids name and I feel bad asking their names over and over, so for a lot of them, I'll call them "bud/buddy", "friend", or other term of endearment you might call a kid. If that's what's going to set people off about a Disney cruise, boy howdy, they're going to be in for a rude awakening when they meet some of the cruise directors and how the adults are treated at the evening shows. :rolleyes:
I know it seems crazy in 2018, but not everyone calls/likes their kids to be called ‘princess’ or ‘prince’. My son was called ‘sir’ on our (not Disney)cruise when staff ran into him.. as well as when taking his order at a restaurant, and asked his name with the drink order.. which I think was written down by the servers and assistant maitre d, so after the original order at each meal, they then called him by his name for the rest of the meal and on subsequent nights when we had the same maitre d.
My sister is going to WDW, not DCL..her 3 year old daughter wears more Under Armour and Nike than princess dresses.. don’t get me wrong, the little girl does like princesses, specifically Ariel and Moana. She will have a couple of princess outfits at Disney. I just think it will be hilarious if she’s called “princess” the entire time. My sister and I were never huge princess girls.. her even less than me. I know it irks her when we hear someone call their daughter ‘princess’ in public, so I’m just laughing to myself thinking about my sis spending an entire week surrounded by it. I think they could handle it at one meal..but all week?ha, she may never return ;)

Last edited:

jaklgreen

Sounds like this guy is too busy drinking to enjoy the cruise with his family. I do agree that most of his "issues" was because he was uneducated and unprepared for what to expect. It is foolish to go ANYWHERE and not do some research before hand.

NelleBelle

I know it seems crazy in 2018, but not everyone calls/likes their kids to be called ‘princess’ or ‘prince’. My son was called ‘sir’ on our (not Disney)cruise when staff ran into him.. as well as when taking his order at a restaurant, and asked his name with the drink order.. which I think was written down by the servers and assistant maitre d, so after the original order at each meal, they then called him by his name for the rest of the meal and on subsequent nights when we had the same maitre d.
My sister is going to WDW, not DCL..her 3 year old daughter wears more Under Armour and Nike than princess dresses.. don’t get me wrong, the little girl does like princesses, specifically Ariel and Moana. She will have a couple of princess outfits at Disney. I just think it will be hilarious if she’s called “princess” the entire time. My sister and I were never huge princess girls.. her even less than me. I know it irks her when we hear someone call their daughter ‘princess’ in public, so I’m just laughing to myself thinking about my sis spending an entire week surrounded by it. I think they could handle it at one meal..but all week?ha, she may never return ;)
Totally get that at the dining room the servers should definitely be learning the children's names. I think I'm picturing more of hallway interactions and such around the ship where you bump into CM "spontaneously" (have to say I was so impressed whenever we'd bump into our servers around the ship and they'd totally remember our names). :p As for the cruise director, I couldn't stand the last one we had...I felt like she was thought we all were about 5 years old (and talked like we were too :cautious:). Totally annoying!

NelleBelle

Sounds like this guy is too busy drinking to enjoy the cruise with his family. I do agree that most of his "issues" was because he was uneducated and unprepared for what to expect. It is foolish to go ANYWHERE and not do some research before hand.
LOL, I totally forgot he was such a "scotch" expert and did his liquor tasting class, once again looking down his nose at the woman who didn't know what "fireball" was :hilarious:

raymusiccity

This article was posted yesterday on NY Times' Travel section:

On a Disney Cruise, It’s a Stressful World (After All)

Of course, since NY Times is a bastion of "intellectualism" both the writer and many of the commentors are quite snobbish and dismissive of anyone who enjoys Disney vacations. I posted a few comments in defense of those of us who love Disney. Just thought you all might like to have a read.

Agree with you 100%. You can go to Tripadvisor and see all of the reviews extolling how great Disney Cruises are compared to the competition. I always laugh when you see hundreds of 'Excellent' comments..... and 14 'Terrible'. I'm willing to bet that most of the latter are from New York and Jersey, looking to be 'comped'. :rolleyes:

Phonedave

Are we reading the same article? The author mentions in multiple places how much his daughter enjoyed it, and also says many positive things about his own experience (excellent customer service, friendly staff, good massages, etc...) He had some apprehensions about cruising and Disney, but overall he appears to have no problem acknowledging what was good and what was not so good.

While it is not a horribly biased article, he clearly went into it with a pre-conceived dislike for DCL, and with no concept of the cruise industry as a whole. I guess I would say it is not a "I was dragged on a DCL cruise and hated it before i even got on board" type review and it is not a "I went on a DCL cruise with no pre-conceived notions, and here is a non-biased review of what I found" review either, but it is more of a "I thought I really hated Disney cruises, and I went on one and did find a few things to complain about and plenty of opportunity to drop some backhanded comments, but at the end, I have to admit - grudgingly - that maybe, just maybe, its not quite a bad as I thought it would be"

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom