News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

Kman101

The problem with Indy - and it would be a perfect successor to dinoland - is with the Indy IP...

It's not 1989 and they have to rebuild it after george...and that's harder than Star Wars because the IP is one aging actor. Tough call.

And i swear this is true - but no one believes me yet - but disney is struggling with Star Wars. It's a Lucasfilm developing crisis. You heard it here first? Wait and see...

The character is timeless and could work in a ride without specifically making it about Harrison Ford, but I agree it's going to be tough for them, at least movie wise.

I can imagine they're struggling creatively with Star Wars. I know people who didn't like the Last Jedi like to think it bombed but it really didn't. I don't think they're struggling in that regard. But they no longer have 'the old guard' to fall back on and use as a nostalgia push. I could see them unsure of what to do.

RSoxNo1

#1: How have we not discussed the brilliance of Sinbad’s Storybook Voyage as a potential suitor. (Not happening, but a guy can dream)

#2: The way this was explained to me was as bump in budget and priority to another project on the West Side or MK. I would personally doubt RS coming (although I might be ok with it if we got Tokyo’s super cushy headrests and it was tucked waaaaaaay back), but it would fit and would be cheap, and WDW has considered putting in a ride akin to it in waaaay too many places waaay too many times.
Raging Spirits is a decent enough facade to look at, but it's a lousy attraction. I love the idea of Sinbad, but feel it would be a better fit in Morocco. And before anyone says it, yes, I recognize that Sinbad is Middle Eastern and not Moroccan, but aside from maybe the pathway between Pandora/Africa I'm not sure where else it would fit.

Kman101

Admittedly I haven't seen Justice League, but I was indifferent towards Batman V Superman and Wonder Woman. DC hasn't hit on the "dark" comic book movie since Christopher Nolan stopped being involved.

Ragnarok was an awesome buddy comedy. It wasn't Civil War or the first Avengers but I really enjoyed it. Guardians 2 was good, but not great (I assume you were talking about that and not Last Jedi). It's biggest weakness IMO was changing Drax's personality. If they hadn't done that as much I think I would have liked it more.

Kind of sums up how I feel towards them as well. I liked Guardians 2, but some parts dragged a bit.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Admittedly I haven't seen Justice League, but I was indifferent towards Batman V Superman and Wonder Woman. DC hasn't hit on the "dark" comic book movie since Christopher Nolan stopped being involved.

Ragnarok was an awesome buddy comedy. It wasn't Civil War or the first Avengers but I really enjoyed it. Guardians 2 was good, but not great (I assume you were talking about that and not Last Jedi). It's biggest weakness IMO was changing Drax's personality. If they hadn't done that as much I think I would have liked it more.

Wasn't talking guardians...I didn't like the approach to ragnarok...but that must be personal preference.

britain

I've always wanted Sindbad's in Epcot. We'd appreciate it here so much more.

I hope we don't get another coaster.

"West Side", is this referring to Disney Springs? Are they considering a theater there? I know people think it wouldn't work or would compete with Cirque but I don't believe that to be true.

@Magic Feather

I think it's a typo: Should have been 'West Side OF MK.'

trainplane3

Yeah...intamin and B&M typically have the rep
that you don't need to worry about blood loss from head trauma...

"Vekoma" is Dutch for "Brian damage"
Their coasters at Disney have been pretty good, EE and SDMT at least. RRnC would be better if it got new trains. I've heard good things about their new train and track designs. Still not as bad as a old Arrow.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yet interestingly, most of the Disney Vekoma coasters run quite nicely (and Disney has quite a few... Expedition Everest, Thunder Mountain (DLP), both Rock 'n' Roller Coasters, Space Mountain (DLP and Hong Kong), Grizzly Mountain (Hong Kong), Tron Lightcycles, and both Seven Drarfs)

Well...maybe if they have a big budget to play with? Their off the shelf stuff is pretty rough...

Not like the two worst coasters ever built: the great American scream machine and batman and robin: the chiller at Six Flags, G.A....but rough nonetheless

smile

It's disappointing it has a meh reputation. You'd think for being a Intamin ride that it'd be better, smoothness wise.

some models, yes - others, not nearly as much

Yeah...intamin and B&M typically have the rep
that you don't need to worry about blood loss from head trauma...

"Vekoma" is Dutch for "Brian damage"

like intamin, more certain models than others...
but they've definitely been turning that around lately - and their layouts for customs have improved dramatically.

RSoxNo1

Wasn't talking guardians...I didn't like the approach to ragnarok...but that must be personal preference.
Are you a fan of the comics? I never got into them, so as a fan purely of the movies I enjoyed it.

As for Last Jedi, it was far from perfect. I did listen to an interesting interview with Rian Johnson on Filmcast (http://www.slashfilm.com/filmcast-e...-johnson-director-of-star-wars-the-last-jedi/). He discussed a few plot points that people had issues with. I'll spoiler the below but it's more of a spoiler for the podcast than the movie:

• Treatment of Rey
  • Treatment of Snoke
Basically he was writing the movie before Episode 7 came out. All he had to work off of was a script. He knew the question of who Rey was had to be addressed but the fan theories of Snoke all came out after Episode 7 came out. Who Snoke was, wasn't that important to his writing.

As for Rey, he basically said they considered absolutely every possible theory and the reason they went the way they did was because in Episode 7 Rey wants to fit into the story but doesn't know how she does. The worst possible thing for her to hear is that she doesn't have famous lineage. It also reinforces the idea that anyone can be a Jedi.

He also discussed the force projection, and the idea of that was suggested by Kylo at the beginning of the movie when he and Rey were first connected by Snoke. Kylo said something to the effect of, this type of projection would kill you.

There was very little discussed about the Finn/Rose storyline other than one treatment had Finn and Poe hanging out on Canto Bight, but ultimately never even handed in a draft with that story line because Finn and Poe basically just encourage each other, they don't challenge each other.

Personally, I thought the Finn/Rose storyline was the weakest part of the movie, but I also felt like there were many instances where the audience was setup for a big payoff that just wasn't there. I also feel like Episode 9 very well could make me like Episode 8 better.

dennis-in-ct

I have been on the Indy coaster at Disneyland Paris - it was quick and rough - and seemed low capacity. The Raging Spirits is dressed different but the same ride as people say.

My comment about the theater on Main Street being cancelled is we now miss an opportunity to see the fab 5 characters in an easy - non-fastpass way. For Example, just like the NEMO show, a day guest who was perhaps not so savvy, or a day guest from a cruise ship could guarantee an easy Disney experience "win". If the show is frequent and has a high capacity, a guest could pretty much walk up and get in to see *something* in an otherwise over-crowded, aggressive fast-pass planning "fight" to make the value of your day admission (120. for a one day Saturday ticket) to Magic Kingdom worth the cost. People on the cruise ships often cannot stay to see the characters on the parade or show up after for example - or cannot stay late to see the fireworks. How else can you see the characters? Line up and spend you day in exhaustive lines to suck up your day?

If the MK theater had some show similar to Hong Kong's Mickey theater show (Golden Mickey?) or the Tokyo DisneySea Mickeys big band/broadway thing in the New York area, I believe it would improve guest satisfaction and perceived "value" for the cost of the day pass.

I personally loved the Hunchback theater show at MGM and adore the NEMO show at Animal Kingdom. Aladdin at California Adventure was also very competent and entertaining. The Lion King show is a glorified pep rally but cute and the Beauty and Beast show at MGM I saw once and that was enough. I love the shows that have real singing performers and had high hopes for the theater in Magic Kingdom to have a top level show that offered an "easy" Disney experience in light of the choking crowds I now see at Magic Kingdom. I shared in another post how I stayed on property and was on the Disney Experience app the second I could book fast-passes and even at my 60 day mark, Flight of Passage was not available. And some of the Magic Kingdom "Mountain Range" was also not available. I mean .... 60 days out ... I am on property and it is STILL this much of a "fight" to gain access to experiences I am expecting. This tells me the capacity needs to be increased. Hence - MORE ATTACTIONS - and a large theater would have helped the overcrowding at Magic Kingdom.

Whatever they choose, please let it help with the crowds.

Last edited:

smile

I've always wanted Sindbad's in Epcot. We'd appreciate it here so much more.

I hope we don't get another coaster.

"West Side", is this referring to Disney Springs? Are they considering a theater there? I know people think it wouldn't work or would compete with Cirque but I don't believe that to be true.

@Magic Feather

don't want to speak out of turn or for anybody else, but...

Star-Wars-Plot-Holes-There-is-Another.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom