Rumor Wonders of Life getting an attraction soon?

Tayoboy

In the Parks
Yes
I never got to see EPCOT in its glory since I wasn't born until the 90's, but for me, every time I go, the size, scope, and structure of the original pavilions and SSE still wow me. The fact that a group of people were that talented to think up those awesome buildings in their unique shapes and configurations makes me long for the Disney of that time even though I never experienced it. Wodners of Life and Imagination are prime examples.

Photos of Horizons make me really sad I never got to ride it (that I can remember - although I do remember the original iteration of the Seas for some reason). I also remember Body Wars over in Wonders of Life.

Off topic, @marni1971 can you comment on the below picture - it's something I found through googling EPCOT 1982. Is this an accurate model of how the park was once imagined to be?

View attachment 260649
Something I noticed seeing in this model is that a good chunk of the world showcase countries have big show buildings, interesting.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don’t mean to argue but I don’t see how Epcot necessary needs The special events to survive.

It’s the 2rd most attended park in WDW, the majority of the backside of the park (World ShowCase) is mainly just retail and dining.

They do Special events because they can get away with it and leave all of Epcot detoriated since 1999 and no guest will question it.

But it’s still a favorite park of mine. :happy:
Festivals have been propping up the parks bottom line for years now. It’s been admitted as an unsustainable business model but one no one wants to challenge.

Thankfully attendnece and more importantly guest satisfaction have caused a few blips on the radar. We just don’t need knee jerk reactions for a quick fix.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Festivals have been propping up the parks bottom line for years now. It’s been admitted as an unsustainable business model but one no one wants to challenge.

Thankfully attendnece and more importantly guest satisfaction have caused a few blips on the radar. We just don’t need knee jerk reactions for a quick fix.
I've said it before, I'm fine with the festivals, I like them. (I know not everyone shares this view). But they shouldn't be an excuse for neglecting the rest of the park. No reason Disney can't keep the festivals (confined mostly to World Showcase) and have an up to date, compelling Future World...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I've said it before, I'm fine with the festivals, I like them. (I know not everyone shares this view). But they shouldn't be an excuse for neglecting the rest of the park.
I’ve said it before. I despise Food and Booze. Sadly they’ve become managements way of deferring real work to be done with the parks. Which got them into the position they’re in now.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I’ve said it before. I despise Food and Booze. Sadly they’ve become managements way of deferring real work to be done with the parks. Which got them into the position they’re in now.
That's fine, we can disagree there. Where I think we both agree is that real work needs to be done in Epcot, and the Festivals aren't going to fix the neglect of the past couple of decades.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

The sad reality is no matter whether you're "pro-festival" or "anti"...it impossible to argue that too much forced attention has been placed on them and Epcot leads the parks with degree of "rot"

Universe of energy was collapsing...they closed a whole pavilion OVER a decade ago, and gave up on imagination just...well...because they suffered no consequences. And there's other glaring problems.

That is a way bigger problem if people didn't fall for the hook of the festivals:

And it's one festival now...if we cut the crap. Food and booze booths. 2 months of food and wine (20 years old, never has changed), a month and a half of "arts" (food booths) and 3 months of flower and garden (again...food booths)

It's food with some minor - while nice - low cost window dressing stuff.

Flower and garden is actually the best of the 3...and it's the one they have periodically threatened to can (starting in 2002).

Epcot is the greatest theme design ever...they built a park around KNOWLEDGE...what an amazing, optimistic endeavor...

I'll love it until they retheme the ball with a Chicken Little overlay...

...but peeps need to get over the festivals a bit for the park to advance at all. Especially the locals on weekends during October and November...
...it's hotplate shrimp and beer you can get in publix...just saying.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The reason food and booze events aren't going away - Food & booze booths = high margins :greedy: Plus, they get people into Epcot who wouldn't normally go and they then spend money at said booths. Then that allows them to defer the real work needed at Epcot, as Martin mentioned, because that would cost money, cutting into margins. It's a vicious cycle that TDO has zero desire to move away from.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The reason food and booze events aren't going away - Food & booze booths = high margins :greedy: Plus, they get people into Epcot who wouldn't normally go and they then spend money at said booths. Then that allows them to defer the real work needed at Epcot, as Martin mentioned, because that would cost money, cutting into margins. It's a vicious cycle that TDO has zero desire to move away from.

I don't blame disney for one second...

If you feed a dog steak, eventually he'll start asking for it medium rare...

It's up to the CONSUMERS!!! I.e., if you've been to food and wine 19 years in a row, start putting it into perspective...don't gush about how your entire year hinges on it.

Perspective. Move on.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I don't blame disney for one second...

If you feed a dog steak, eventually he'll start asking for it medium rare...

It's up to the CONSUMERS!!! I.e., if you've been to food and wine 19 years in a row, start putting it into perspective...don't gush about how your entire year hinges on it.

Perspective. Move on.

Are there actually people who say their entire year hinges on F&W?

mikejs78

Premium Member
As @marni1971 also said though, TDO may have a desire now to fix things because of guest satisfaction and attendance - so they're starting to realize that festivals won't solve everything. I don't think festivals are going anywhere, but hopefully TDO will invest more into the rest of Epcot - attractions, new countries, maintenance - and not in a way that destroys the park even further.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Are there actually people who say their entire year hinges on F&W?

Don't spend a lot of time on weekends in October around the FLA-ridians do ya?

It's just one of those "disney things"...the old and somewhat stale are lauded too much...

You see accounts around here of how people "always" go in a particular sequence on big thunder and space mountain...multiple times a year...every year.

...as if it's a badge of honor to use drone mentality in a place that should excite. Just repetition.

montyz81

Ob Wan--"There are no new rides in this thread that you are looking for", Me "There are no new rides in this thread that I am looking for"
Ob Wan--"Move along, Move along" Me "Moving on, moving on".

wdwgreek

I must admit that Flower and Garden is a very well executed festival even with the repeat topiaries. The gardening classes are interesting, and the park glows with flowers. Epoct looks alive, more so then the booze festival in the fall. This Spring will be my 5th flower and garden festival and I cannot wait.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I must admit that Flower and Garden is a very well executed festival even with the repeat topiaries. The gardening classes are interesting, and the park glows with flowers. Epoct looks alive, more so then the booze festival in the fall. This Spring will be my 5th flower and garden festival and I cannot wait.

I actually saw the arts one too...and I can appreciate that one as well...

It's the F&W that's been literally extended too much and beaten into the ground...

And that combined with 75 Halloween and Christmas parties has made the whole place suck.

Too much at once.

bhg469

What would a young Peter Quil Think?

seascape

I have mixed feelings about the festival's. However, I took my wife to the Festival of the Arts for her birthday and we loved it. She likes Flower and Garden the most of them. We enjoy Food and Wine during our anniversary and Christmas just after Thanksgiving. So we now do all 4 on 4 separate trips. But, I love Epcot more for the country pavilions. I miss the old future world with the original attractions but it is still my favorite park with Animal Kingdom second and Magic Kingdom third. Would I make 4 visits a year if it weren't for the festival's, probably not.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I have mixed feelings about the festival's. However, I took my wife to the Festival of the Arts for her birthday and we loved it. She likes Flower and Garden the most of them. We enjoy Food and Wine during our anniversary and Christmas just after Thanksgiving. So we now do all 4 on 4 separate trips. But, I love Epcot more for the country pavilions. I miss the old future world with the original attractions but it is still my favorite park with Animal Kingdom second and Magic Kingdom third. Would I make 4 visits a year if it weren't for the festival's, probably not.
Yes, I believe the Arts is rather nice. Though since we partly go for the weather I doubt we'll ever see it.

I have to say, your demeanour has changed a lot if you don’t mind me saying. For the better in my very very humble opinion :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom