Rumor Brazil is the frontrunner for a new World Showcase Pavilion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bclane

I was responding to another poster. In this case, Christ the Redeemer, probably the most familiar landmark in Brazil to a North American or European audience, won't be included (@marni1971 has already said as such) not because of religious iconography (which, I don't think you're correct there - there's a torii gate in the Japan pavilion and you know, the whole Candlelight Processional) but because the statue is a registered trademark and not up for reproduction the way a building might be
True. There's religious imagery to be found at several of the pavilions. Mickey is pretty inclusive.

ProfSavage

True. There's religious imagery to be found at several of the pavilions. Mickey is pretty inclusive.

Such as?

I would say the best cases are morocco or Japan...but not exaclty as our there as a statue of jesus

In China, you have the Temple of Heaven. In Italy, there's the reproduction of Columns of San Marco and San Todaro. In Germany, there's a statue of St. George and the Dragon.

bclane

Such as?

I would say the best cases are morocco or Japan...but not exaclty as our there as a statue of jesus
Other than Morocco and Japan, there is the Stave Church in Norway, Statue of St George and the Dragon in Germany, China's Temple of Heaven, St. Mark's Basilica bell tower in Italy, gargoyles in France...and you can't much more Christian than the Candlelight Processional.

ProfSavage

We'll just have different opinions on this...on multiple levels...

Don't think a big statue of Jesus is the way to go...nothing to gain.

That... that isn't opinion. Those are religious symbols found in other countries and faiths...

It doesn't matter, Christ the Redeemer isn't happening anyway. And not because it's religious. Again, it's copyrighted. It's why there's a statue but not Christ the Redeemer on Sugarloaf in the background of the Rio level in Street Fighter II.

ProfSavage

Other than Morocco and Japan, there is the Stave Church in Norway, Statue of St George and the Dragon in Germany, China's Temple of Heaven, St. Mark's Basilica bell tower in Italy, gargoyles in France...and you can't much more Christian than the Candlelight Processional.

And probably a fleur-de-lis somewhere in France, which is a religious symbol (represents the trinity) and if you want to get super technical, the Union Jack...

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I find it odd that the statue can't be recreated. One would think it's likeness could, if not an exact copy something that resembles it. I'm positive Disney "can" craft a variation of this statue while still circumnavigating any choppy trademark rules. by making A "Christ the Redeemer" like statue where it's likeness is only visible from behind, or in side profile, etc. This statue is as iconic as Lady Liberty is to the US. It's exclusion from the Brazil pavilion would be absurd, IMO. It was in the movie Rio for Christ's sake! lol

Last edited:

ProfSavage

I find it odd that the statue can't be recreated. One would think it's likeness could, if not an exact copy something that resembles it. I'm positive Disney "could" craft a variation of this statue while still circumnavigating any choppy trademark rules. A "Christ the Redeemer" statue where it's likeness is only visible from behind, or in side profile, etc. This statue is as iconic as Lady Liberty is to the US. It's exclusion from any Brazil pavilion is absurd. It was in the movie Rio for Christ's sake! lol

Take it up with the Archdioceses of Rio. I'm sure they give special permission to use the likeness occasionally but still. I don't see the exclusion as being detrimental. It can create a "learning opportunity" that will let people learn more about Brazil. Kind of like the tropicalia movement in the 60s and 70s did.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So there's no difference between overt and things that most western audiences in wdw have No Clue even exist...as in they'd have to google it to even know if carried any religious history?

Got it. I agree...it's not happening anyway

ProfSavage

So there's no difference between overt and things that most western audiences in wdw have No Clue even exist...as in they'd have to google it to even know if carried any religious history?

Got it. I agree...it's not happening anyway

I'm pretty sure Westerners would know the the religious association with a statue of a saint, even if they don't know the significance behind said saint. Hell, I was raised Catholic and can't tell you the reason why every saint is significant. I feel a Westerner would see a statue of a bodhisattva and feel the same: they know it's a religious iconography even if they don't understand the relevance.

But I get it. You're whole schtick on these boards is to be a contrarian. I got that from "The Last Jedi" boards. It's okay. We've had your likes in these parts before.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure Westerners would know the the religious association with a statue of a saint, even if they don't know the significance behind said saint. Hell, I was raised Catholic and can't tell you the reason why every saint is significant. I feel a Westerner would see a statue of a bodhisattva and feel the same: they know it's a religious iconography even if they don't understand the relevance.

But I get it. You're whole schtick on these boards is to be a contrarian. I got that from "The Last Jedi" boards. It's okay. We've had your likes in these parts before.

You mean the last jedi that flatlined at the box office and the director is still...today...defending parts of the movie in twitter battles?

Funny how things turn out, huh?

And I think you saying a gigantic statue of Jesus over a pavilion is the same as column replicas in Italy (funny how they used Venetian landmarks instead of those in Rome, isn't?)...or an architectural history of Notre dame with a fleur de lis in a queue...or some saints that I guarantee no one has a clue about in the German courtyard...defies reason.

Sometimes things are in fact different...it's not that tough to know when.

And I don't have a "type"...becuse that's just silly. I'll agree or disagree depending on the historical perspective, business motivations, or appropriateness of the arguments presented. That fair...breaking news.

Let's just see what's built, huh? Then we can chat about details...

By the way...the walt disney company has rejected stereotypes and prejudices more than practically any American business over the last 50 years...because it's good for business. Money is all green. So my stance on this has nothing to do with copyright laws. It's simply looking at it objectively, knowing who you're dealing with, and making an argument. In this case - still a purely theoretical one, in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom