A long time Disney fan turns sour!

ThistleMae

So aside from the debate about whether Florida is a good state to move to, it's a good choice for me. I want to stay on the East Coast. I will be going back and forth from New England to Florida as long as I can. I love to cruise and there are so many different ports that are close by, another activity I will be able to drive to. I love Disney, the atmosphere and for the most part people who are happy to be on vacation. I've encountered way more happy people than the occasional, grumpy bunch, that you will find anywhere. There is also Universal, and Bush Gardens and Sea World and the ocean. It seems like a win/win to me. And yes, there seems to be more crowding and new rules get implemented and the FP+ system is not easy for the newbies...which I am not and make out just fine using it. It's just an exciting place. If I tire of it, I still win because I have choices. And yes, I do not like the heat and humidity but it's less work to be in air conditioning than to be outside shoveling off my roof. I have four feet of hard snow to clean off my porch right now, that came off the shoveled roof....and it will take me all day to get it off of there because I can only do about 15 minutes at a time before I'm spent. So...all in all it really is about your perspective and your priorities and how well you can let some of the negatives go! By the way....it seems anyone who bothers to read these threads must still have some kind of interest in Disney!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So aside from the debate about whether Florida is a good state to move to, it's a good choice for me. I want to stay on the East Coast. I will be going back and forth from New England to Florida as long as I can. I love to cruise and there are so many different ports that are close by, another activity I will be able to drive to. I love Disney, the atmosphere and for the most part people who are happy to be on vacation. I've encountered way more happy people than the occasional, grumpy bunch, that you will find anywhere. There is also Universal, and Bush Gardens and Sea World and the ocean. It seems like a win/win to me. And yes, there seems to be more crowding and new rules get implemented and the FP+ system is not easy for the newbies...which I am not and make out just fine using it. It's just an exciting place. If I tire of it, I still win because I have choices. And yes, I do not like the heat and humidity but it's less work to be in air conditioning than to be outside shoveling off my roof. I have four feet of hard snow to clean off my porch right now, that came off the shoveled roof....and it will take me all day to get it off of there because I can only do about 15 minutes at a time before I'm spent. So...all in all it really is about your perspective and your priorities and how well you can let some of the negatives go! By the way....it seems anyone who bothers to read these threads must still have some kind of interest in Disney!

The economics of Florida to live are gonna be a huge change for somebody that lives between Danbury, Ct and Acadia NP...

That can be good or bad depending on that situation...but have a set, viable plan...don't "dabble" into anything.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The housing market is on a pretty steady upwards swing here, and the rental market is fairly starved driving prices up there as well.

Stats from Trulia, and the Orlando Realtor Association (PDF).

But...the poster is correct in that it's not that expensive and one fact of real estate is that settles into the maximum amount the market will support.

Your rent tells you what you can make...as a rule of thumb.

Unless supply is low...where you would have to eat the drywall to survive once it becomes a "capitalist" price war.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
But...the poster is correct in that it's not that expensive and one fact of real estate is that settles into the maximum amount the market will support.

It all depends on where you want to live, and how much you want to spend. You can find inexpensive homes in several parts of town, or homes in the millions not far from them. Florida is weird like that.

Your rent tells you what you can make...as a rule of thumb.

Unless supply is low...where you would have to eat the drywall to survive once it becomes a "capitalist" price war.

Orlando is starved for rental properties, especially surrounding the bubble which has driven prices way up.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I looked into homes to grab for the sole purpose of renting (with myself grabbing some time therein) but it's been a while. Still, <$200k. You can't even touch a ruddy ol' shack 'round these parts for twice that. Guess I'm jaded.

That's certainly possible in some parts of town.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I looked into homes to grab for the sole purpose of renting (with myself grabbing some time therein) but it's been a while. Still, <$200k. You can't even touch a ruddy ol' shack 'round these parts for twice that. Guess I'm jaded.

100% correct...that's chump in any major market.

And I owned and rented properties in Florida till fairly recently...in the "good" neighborhoods...so i have a basis.

I'm not talking Clermont or BVL

21stamps

It all depends on where you want to live, and how much you want to spend. You can find inexpensive homes in several parts of town, or homes in the millions not far from them. Florida is weird like that.

Orlando is starved for rental properties, especially surrounding the bubble which has driven prices way up.
Inexpensive homes around the corner from million dollar homes is the norm in any city.

Orlando is still very “affordable” compared to a lot of other major tourist spots in Florida. That’s one of the main reason that so many people have moved there over the past 15 years.

21stamps

I have friends that live in Orlando and I've lived in Tampa previously. FL is an interesting place on many levels. Definitely affordable; though the income is generally commensurate.
It’s so hard to generalize an entire state. I think so many people say “what’s it like to live in Florida?” Or “How much will it cost to live in Florida?” and maybe don’t realize how large the state is.

I live in Ohio currently.. just googled the avg home price in my city.. yet someone could live 15 minutes north of me and avg home prices would be a difference of 1/3.. maybe even more of a difference.

The majority of States will see that same gap dependent on your specific area. Florida isn’t any different. Most of Florida anyway.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s so hard to generalize an entire state. I think so many people say “what’s it like to live in Florida?” Or “How much will it cost to live in Florida?” and maybe don’t realize how large the state is.

I live in Ohio currently.. just googled the avg home price in my city.. yet someone could live 15 minutes north of me and avg home prices would be a difference of 1/3.. maybe even more of a difference.

The majority of States will see that same gap dependent on your specific area. Florida isn’t any different. Most of Florida anyway.

Florida has always been built around the concept of "bringing your money and keeping it"...not moving, planting roots and building the community. That's why wages and real estate values have lagged in many areas...on the whole.

MAGICFLOP

So don’t go.

But to me, you are another prime example of how it’s all about perspective and attitude (in all of life, not just Disney.

We’ve had issues at the gates more than once.

We take it as, “Oh, well” and move on with our day. If there’s anything we can learn from it to avoid that situation in the future, we do.

You get sour. Different strokes. Except I have a better time.

Errors happen everywhere, including Disney. Always have, always will.
As I mentioned I don't go anymore..
But, it is people like me that forces services to increase. Any business thats slows / reduces services and is not met by blow back, will continue to reduce services..

If Disney had a staffing problem and could only open 2 lanes at bag check and the line is now a hour long (like the guy in video said earlier in this thread), if this situation was met by guest services having people come up to them and say, gee that really did not bother me to wait, would you expect a 5 minute wait the next time you go?

BTW the guy in the video was irate, Disney has never made me irate.

You said perspective and attitude, but you left out the most important.. EXPECTATION, Disney built its brand on expectation. Ones pays for and expects quality. I still say the quality in their sit down restaurants is quite good.

Let me ask you this, if you patronize a restaurant for years and have always received good food, but the last 3 times you went, the food was not that good, the salad was wilted bit, do you that the perspective that it won't ruin my meal and say to yourself, I will keep coming back until the food gets better? or do you say, heck this is the 3rd time and I am not going back?

My perspective is, if they don't suffer by a decrease in business, then there is no need to return the food quality to the previous level and If I return, I can expect the same low quality food.

My issues with Disney are beyond the couple I mentioned, and I have a lot of fond memories there..

smile

So don’t go.

But to me, you are another prime example of how it’s all about perspective and attitude (in all of life, not just Disney.

We’ve had issues at the gates more than once.

We take it as, “Oh, well” and move on with our day. If there’s anything we can learn from it to avoid that situation in the future, we do.

You get sour. Different strokes. Except I have a better time.

Errors happen everywhere, including Disney. Always have, always will.

however, from your perspective, is said issue mere happenstance or a correctable flaw?
if flaw, it must be addressed if it's ever to be corrected.

of course, you don't have to say a word, but an incident not reported or addressed did. not. happen.

emotional reinforcement of the premise isn't the only reason you're sent multiple surveys after a trip, as , believe it or not, guest feedback still carries some sway, or rather, more than none.

ThistleMae

I do believe that some changes being made may impact me in some negative ways, such as extending some perks to offsite guests. And I do believe Disney makes these changes to increase their profits, not for our enjoyment necessarily. This could be discouraging, especially if you personally are noticing for example that it's much harder to get the FP's you want on your first day at the parks. Because I still love Disney, I accept that it is what it is. I do think that the folks that make these decisions do discuss potential impacts on overall attendance but it's their profits that dictate whether the changes are positive or negative. I just don't think people will stop going to Disney, no matter how many negative changes we see. Until or unless their profits decrease, they will continue this trend. I can either accept it or stop going. I think if they look at surveys with ideas, suggestions and or complaints and compare them to their profits, they'll just toss the survey's aside because it's their profits that dictate decisions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom