For all you EPCOT beer drinkers...there's been a slight change

OneofThree

I am all-for raising prices prices on alcohol in Epcot. I happen to be a scotch enthusiast who also loves a good beer, and do enjoy some adult beverages in that park when we go. That said, there's something very wrong when a park becomes known as "Drinkingland", as I've seen it referred to on these forums. If getting drunk is the main attraction, it can be done in any bar for far less. Maybe if Disney doubled the prices, it discourage some of the lowest common denominators from making a mess of themselves, and the intended experience.

jakeman

I am all-for raising prices prices on alcohol in Epcot. I happen to be a scotch enthusiast who also loves a good beer, and do enjoy some adult beverages in that park when we go. That said, there's something very wrong when a park becomes known as "Drinkingland", as I've seen it referred to on these forums. If getting drunk is the main attraction, it can be done in any bar for far less. Maybe if Disney doubled the prices, it discourage some of the lowest common denominators from making a mess of themselves, and the intended experience.
It's referred to as Drunkytown by a small handful of tee-totaling prohibitionist and agenda driven posters.

For a vast majority of guest drinking to get drunk is not the main attraction of World Showcase.

As for the beer/alcohol itself, I'd like to see them more faithful to the drinks of that country (no one in Norway drinks Carlsberg, it's not even from Norway).

Tony the Tigger

It's referred to as Drunkytown by a small handful of tee-totaling prohibitionist and agenda driven posters.

For a vast majority of guest drinking to get drunk is not the main attraction of World Showcase.

As for the beer/alcohol itself, I'd like to see them more faithful to the drinks of that country (no one in Norway drinks Carlsberg, it's not even from Norway).

I would like to hug this post.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

I enjoy drinking at Epcot, and I've stumbled around the world once or twice myself in the last month or two; but it's disingenuous to imply that World Showcase doesn't become Druncot once the sun goes down or that people who think that it does have any sort of agenda.

It doesn't take a majority.

pax_65

I'm a big craft beer fan (and I enjoy searching out more interesting brews in WDW) but I've seen many very drunk people in Epcot. I'm not sure raising the price would help. These people seem intent on getting drunk, which is so inappropriate in a place where children are present.

However, the higher price would deter me, as I'm not going to pay more than the price of a six-pack for a single beer.

pax_65

I agree with this. A specific example: the Belgium stand at the Food & Wine Festival offers Hoegaarden, Leffe, and Stella. These are popular Belgium beers I guess, but they are all owned by AB/InBev and they are available globally - you could go into any bar anywhere and likely find these beers. They are also not the finest examples of their respective beer styles (although Hoegaarden is actually still a pretty decent Witbier.)

As Belgium produces some of the world's finest beers, there is certainly room for greater diversity here.

Bob Harlem

I enjoy drinking at Epcot, and I've stumbled around the world once or twice myself in the last month or two; but it's disingenuous to imply that World Showcase doesn't become Druncot once the sun goes down or that people who think that it does have any sort of agenda.

It doesn't take a majority.

Food & Wine Friday and Saturday nights. It's (usually) not horrible, but it absolutely exists. It would be easy enough to find to make a video on anyway.

Tony the Tigger

Food & Wine Friday and Saturday nights. It's (usually) not horrible, but it absolutely exists. It would be easy enough to find to make a video on anyway.

We don't go on weekends. Maybe that's why we don't see it. Have never seen it. Wouldn't be a big deal if we did. I tend to not watch what other people are doing when I'm at WDW unless their stroller is riding up my leg or they're walking too slowly in front of me.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Thats not what im saying. Instead of 12 20oz (240oz), it will be 20 12oz beers (240oz). Looks the same to me
But that's not how it actually happens in real life. The affinity from the customer is actually for 'a beer in hand' beers not the volume of the beers. Especially in Epcot where they are sampling different beers. After 12 ounces they are more likely to buy their next type of beer rather than buy another beer just to get to 20 ounces.

The friction from the buy transaction alone works against people buying the same equivalent volume of alcohol.

A pure drunk is going to keep buying no matter what... but en large smaller serving sizes reduce total consumption

pax_65

We don't go on weekends. Maybe that's why we don't see it. Have never seen it. Wouldn't be a big deal if we did. I tend to not watch what other people are doing when I'm at WDW unless their stroller is riding up my leg or they're walking too slowly in front of me.

Well... it's not a big deal because it generally doesn't affect me personally. I've even had a drunk person at Epcot stumble into me and then start yelling at me, and I just walked away (no real upside to getting into it with them).

All that said, it is disturbing and sad to see drunk parents stumbling around Epcot with their little kids. Yes it doesn't affect me personally but it puts a dent into the whole "Magical/Most Wonderful Place on Earth" vibe.

Tony the Tigger

Well... it's not a big deal because it generally doesn't affect me personally. I've even had a drunk person at Epcot stumble into me and then start yelling at me, and I just walked away (no real upside to getting into it with them).

All that said, it is disturbing and sad to see drunk parents stumbling around Epcot with their little kids. Yes it doesn't affect me personally but it puts a dent into the whole "Magical/Most Wonderful Place on Earth" vibe.

Yeah, drunk parents not taking care of their kids properly would be an issue. I would hope if it got to a certain level, Disney would step in on an individual basis.

For those of us there without kids and not interacting with kids, it’s just fun to get a little buzzed.

What lines? What strollers?

S 2

So just got back from WDW. Last time I was there was late October as F&W was winding down. Made my December trip to EPCOT and as I was wandering around decided to get a cold one.

While in line I happened glance up at the menu while waiting and almost did a double take as I noticed the beer price had gone down. WHAT, a decrease in price at Disney? WOW this great.

Well it was until I was served and realized they were no longer 20oz beers. They've gone to 12oz and the price as been reduced by about $2. So what used to be around $8.50 for 20oz (about .43 an ounce) is now $6.50 for 12oz (about .54 an ounce).

I was told that after F&W all outdoor kiosks went down to 12oz. You can still get 20oz in an indoor area like Rose & Crown but all kiosks are now 12oz.

Just thought I'd share.....
GOtta say... this is a genius way to raise prices... In a year when they go back to 20 oz w an increase in price no one will even bat an eye..

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Original Poster
GOtta say... this is a genius way to raise prices... In a year when they go back to 20 oz w an increase in price no one will even bat an eye..

Don't know if they'll ever go back to the 20oz. But safe to say that the 12oz beers will start approaching the 20oz prices shortly.

Bpmorley

But that's not how it actually happens in real life. The affinity from the customer is actually for 'a beer in hand' beers not the volume of the beers. Especially in Epcot where they are sampling different beers. After 12 ounces they are more likely to buy their next type of beer rather than buy another beer just to get to 20 ounces.

The friction from the buy transaction alone works against people buying the same equivalent volume of alcohol.

A pure drunk is going to keep buying no matter what... but en large smaller serving sizes reduce total consumption
How isn't that real life? I know the difference when I get a smaller beer. which means I will just drink more of them. Not saying they all have to be the same brand either.

GlassHalfFull

I'm a huge fan of this.. normally a 20 ounce is a lot for a trial of beer that I don't normally get at home.. Glad that as I walk around the world I am not feeling like I need to chug the last 6-8 ounces I'd have left when I got the the next country..

I can't be the only one who finds it weird that at a "craft beer" event there are 20 ounce pours. I look forward to Flower and Garden this year when I finally get my AP and enjoy 3 regular size craft brews, instead of 2 huge ones..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom