For all you EPCOT beer drinkers...there's been a slight change

righttrack

I think a global change like this is for profit, but really there should be different serving sizes based on the ABV of certain beers. As people choose more higher ABV craft brews, they should have a responsible size. 20oz for <5%ABV (Budwieser, etc), 12oz for anything 6-8%ABV and 10oz for anything over 8%ABV. That said, a general move like this is for the cash.

Bpmorley

Truth hurts. I just drank for 12hrs straight on sunday by tailgating, going to a NFL game, and then hitting the town. We were drinking pitchers after the game onwards. I like to drink.... that doesn't make me blind to the reality that many people do stupid things and that scale/access are big contributors in how much people drink. So yes, limiting serving sizes has merit - even from a drinker.

Can't handle that? Then get a grip.
I disagree. This is all about money. People will just buy more. Size won't keep a good drunk down

Bpmorley

Like everything... you'll never stop the determined ones... and that's not the objective. The goal is to influence the bulk.

The same thing happens with food portions... people don't order two large french fries after McDonald's killed super sized fries.
Let's say my plan is to spend 6 hours in WS. On average I take a half hour to finish each 20oz beer, that's 5.5 hours. pretty close. Now I only take 20 minutes to finish 11-12oz beers, less than 4 hours. What happens to fill in the time. More Beer. I"m just playing a little devils advocate here. My instinct tells me that some bean counters figured out this meant more profit. I don't believe for a second that this had anything to do with curbing drunks.

lostpro9het

For those crying, don't forget that R&C still sells big boy sizes...
IMG_1401.JPG

If you don't like the new ways don't support it! Every visit I historically stop at Canada to grab a La Fin but when I saw the preschool cups they were using yesterday I said "nope!" and kept on walking by.

jloucks

Good idea to limit the drunks...
Except they will just buy 12 of them instead of 8.
Wish the change would be just doing away with alcohol completely.

This thread got me to thinking *gasp*, we all wear personal trackers in the parks (Magic Bands) right? So why not link them with drink limits? You get 1 drink per hour enforced by scanning the magic band. That would vastly reduce vomiting and obnoxiousness associated with unlimited libations.

...what? Let me guess, I am not the first to think of this? :p

flynnibus

Premium Member

The hardcore will... the masses will be influenced to drink less. Remember, to get that extra 8oz you have to get in line again.. and pay again.. etc. Those points of friction add up. Maybe a person ends up drinking 24oz instead of 40oz of beer. That's a big delta.

And when the point of the thing is to taste so many different things... people will be less encouraged to 'finish' to get their next one. That means up to 8ozs less per sample. Sample 4 beers, maybe someone drinks 32oz less that day... that's a big reduction.

jloucks

The hardcore will... the masses will be influenced to drink less. Remember, to get that extra 8oz you have to get in line again.. and pay again.. etc. Those points of friction add up. Maybe a person ends up drinking 24oz instead of 40oz of beer. That's a big delta.

And when the point of the thing is to taste so many different things... people will be less encouraged to 'finish' to get their next one. That means up to 8ozs less per sample. Sample 4 beers, maybe someone drinks 32oz less that day... that's a big reduction.

2wg4r47.gif

Chef Mickey

This thread got me to thinking *gasp*, we all wear personal trackers in the parks (Magic Bands) right? So why not link them with drink limits? You get 1 drink per hour enforced by scanning the magic band. That would vastly reduce vomiting and obnoxiousness associated with unlimited libations.

I’m sure they already track it, just silently.

freediverdude

If this is all about reducing the drunks, why didn't they reduce the price to be the same per ounce? It's not like they weren't making any profit on the 20oz beers, lol. Just another money grab that they could sell as having a good effect. I guarantee that if the 12oz beers were somehow less profitable they wouldn't sell them, even if it cut down on drunks.

Bpmorley

I'm gonna have to disagree with that. they'll just make another stop on the way around WS and get something they haven't tried.

Bpmorley

I make the full amount in disney reward every year. So I have $750 of free money for this. I don't use my band, but if I did and was told I couldn't get another(aside from never going again)I'd pull out a credit card or cash. And for all the years I've been going to F&W, I've never seen these drunks running around the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom