For all you EPCOT beer drinkers...there's been a slight change

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I wish it was more affordable to eat and drink at Epcot, instead I'm limited but my limits are still pretty low, just not low enough and yes I take out cash and set a limit lol

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So that explains the small cup of beer I got at Yorkshire Fish & Chips.....

BuddyThomas

Lol, I can't wait to hear people cheering Disney for trying to fix the "drinking problem" in Epcot. Of course the moment Disney raises the price on something they like, they'll be condemning the company as evil once again.
I know. These people are ridiculous.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Oh please. Get a grip.

Truth hurts. I just drank for 12hrs straight on sunday by tailgating, going to a NFL game, and then hitting the town. We were drinking pitchers after the game onwards. I like to drink.... that doesn't make me blind to the reality that many people do stupid things and that scale/access are big contributors in how much people drink. So yes, limiting serving sizes has merit - even from a drinker.

Can't handle that? Then get a grip.

BuddyThomas

Truth hurts. I just drank for 12hrs straight on sunday by tailgating, going to a NFL game, and then hitting the town. We were drinking pitchers after the game onwards. I like to drink.... that doesn't make me blind to the reality that many people do stupid things and that scale/access are big contributors in how much people drink. So yes, limiting serving sizes has merit - even from a drinker.

That's ridiculous. Limiting serving sizes is just a sneaky way to get patrons to pay more.

And I should add that it makes more sense to imbibe at EPCOT if you are taking a bus or a walk back to your hotel (I know not everyone does this but many, including me, do) than tailgating at an NFL game where a car is almost 100% involved.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's ridiculous. Limiting serving sizes is just a sneaky way to get patrons to pay more.

Yes, when universities ban kegs, its all because they want the local beer stores to be more profitable!
When local governments limit servings its all because they are really in cohoots with the vendors! Banning 'fish bowl' drinks etc is really about profits... not excessive drinking.

You've cracked the code buddy!!

does this but many, including me, do) than tailgating at an NFL game where a car is almost 100% involved.

It's the city dude... you don't have to drive everywhere. Plus, I wasn't by myself. So please take your 100% and... resume getting a grip.

BuddyThomas

Yes, when universities ban kegs, its all because they want the local beer stores to be more profitable!
When local governments limit servings its all because they are really in cohoots with the vendors! Banning 'fish bowl' drinks etc is really about profits... not excessive drinking.

You've cracked the code buddy!!

It's the city dude... you don't have to drive everywhere. Plus, I wasn't by myself. So please take your 100% and... resume getting a grip.
Uh huh.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

You forget that in Florida, bartenders can refuse to sell you drinks if they feel you are drunk. And most will, because of the establishment's liability if they don't. Including Disney.

Universities can only ban kegs on university property and at university associated functions. I've seen many a keg tailgating in the parking lot before a home football game. Part of FSU's response to the alcohol-related death of a student was to ban alcohol at all student organization functions. However, those kegs still show up at home game tailgates in the parking lots at Doak....

flynnibus

Premium Member
You forget that in Florida, bartenders can refuse to sell you drinks if they feel you are drunk. And most will, because of the establishment's liability if they don't. Including Disney.

I just wasn't addressing the additional topic of judgement on serving. It's often regulated on the size of drink that they can serve... and it's not about profit mongering :). Access and volume are big contributors to encouraging binge drinking - hence the examples given where its been limited in attempts to react to the problem.

Areas trying to combat binge drinking by banning/limiting drink specials, happy hours, serving sizes, etc are not trying to boost alcohol sales.

I think disneys move here is a happy medium. 12oz is still a solid serving... it's not like they went to 4oz tasters...

NormC

Yes it's all part of the increasing shrinking package. It's why a container of ice cream is a quart and a half, a pound Of coffee is 13 ounces, we could go on an on.
I don't know where you buy your coffee but when I buy a pound of beans I get a pound of beans.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So just got back from WDW. Last time I was there was late October as F&W was winding down. Made my December trip to EPCOT and as I was wandering around decided to get a cold one.

While in line I happened glance up at the menu while waiting and almost did a double take as I noticed the beer price had gone down. WHAT, a decrease in price at Disney? WOW this great.

Well it was until I was served and realized they were no longer 20oz beers. They've gone to 12oz and the price as been reduced by about $2. So what used to be around $8.50 for 20oz (about .43 an ounce) is now $6.50 for 12oz (about .54 an ounce).

I was told that after F&W all outdoor kiosks went down to 12oz. You can still get 20oz in an indoor area like Rose & Crown but all kiosks are now 12oz.

Just thought I'd share.....

Nice a backdoor price increase of 25% or so...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Yes it's all part of the increasing shrinking package. It's why a container of ice cream is a quart and a half, a pound Of coffee is 13 ounces, we could go on an on.
Steve Martin unmasked it all back in the movie Father of the Bride.

George: I’ll tell you what I’m doing. I want to buy eight hot dogs and eight hot dog buns to go with them. But no one sells eight hot dog buns. They only sell twelve hot dog buns. So I end up paying for four buns I don’t need. So I am removing the superfluous buns.
Stock Boy: I’m sorry sir, but you’re going to have to pay for all twelve buns; they’re not marked individually.
George: Yeah. And you want to know why? Because some big-shot over at the wiener company got together with some big-shot over at the bun company and decided to rip off the American public. Because they think the American public is a bunch of trusting nit-wits who will pay for everything they don’t need rather than make a stink.

beertiki

Like some on here, I am a professional drinker. Save the judgments sober people, my liver does not care to hear your opinions on my alcohol intake.

Disney knows that dinking around the world is very popular. Now, I could never drink 11 20oz beers, but I can drink 11 12oz beers. This also helps me because my wife almost never finishes a 20oz beer, I usually drink the last 4 ounces of warm swill before she throws it out, can't waste beer. This is all economics for Disney. There are a lot of people that will only drink 1 20 oz beer, but now those people will be drinking 2, and after 2, it's smooth sailing to #3.

My dream is the $75 refillable cup.

Bpmorley

So just got back from WDW. Last time I was there was late October as F&W was winding down. Made my December trip to EPCOT and as I was wandering around decided to get a cold one.

While in line I happened glance up at the menu while waiting and almost did a double take as I noticed the beer price had gone down. WHAT, a decrease in price at Disney? WOW this great.

Well it was until I was served and realized they were no longer 20oz beers. They've gone to 12oz and the price as been reduced by about $2. So what used to be around $8.50 for 20oz (about .43 an ounce) is now $6.50 for 12oz (about .54 an ounce).

I was told that after F&W all outdoor kiosks went down to 12oz. You can still get 20oz in an indoor area like Rose & Crown but all kiosks are now 12oz.

Just thought I'd share.....
During the F&W it was mostly 4oz beers at the event kiosks. Some of the year round stands still serve the larger beers. F&W has gotten so ridiculously high priced that we are done with it. Anytime we are down there, we do most of our drinking off property.

Bpmorley

Like some on here, I am a professional drinker. Save the judgments sober people, my liver does not care to hear your opinions on my alcohol intake.

Disney knows that dinking around the world is very popular. Now, I could never drink 11 20oz beers, but I can drink 11 12oz beers. This also helps me because my wife almost never finishes a 20oz beer, I usually drink the last 4 ounces of warm swill before she throws it out, can't waste beer. This is all economics for Disney. There are a lot of people that will only drink 1 20 oz beer, but now those people will be drinking 2, and after 2, it's smooth sailing to #3.

My dream is the $75 refillable cup.
Professional drinker? can't do 11-20oz beers. then you're only semi pro. haha. Just did our annual 12 pubs of christmas bar crawl and drank 12-40oz beers. That's how a professional does it. I do love the idea of the refillable cup though.

disneygeek90

Because the only way to enjoy it now is to not be sober. Epcot is such a snooze fest now that it's only enjoyable with a good cold grapefruit beer or two from Germany
Check out that ABV % next time you get one. The whole thing is like 2.5%. I'd never get a buzz of those, it's basically grapefruit juice they charge $9 for :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom