News UCF Peach Bowl/National Championship Parade

UCF

National Championship? Seriously?
Yes, why not? They are the only undefeated team in the nation, and they beat Auburn to claim it, who beat both teams left competing in the CFP Invitational. This year will have a different national champ from CFP champ, and its hardly the first year NCAA football has multiple national champs, its long overdue for it. Its been done 30+ times.

_ZJ

Yes, why not? They are the only undefeated team in the nation, and they beat Auburn to claim it, who beat both teams left competing in the CFP Invitational. This year will have a different national champ from CFP champ, and its hardly the first year NCAA football has multiple national champs, its long overdue for it. Its been done 30+ times.

Wow. I'm sorry. You guys had a solid team, but showing up and handing a team their fourth loss is hardly worthy of a self-proclaimed "national championship." I guess this is the logical next step after a generation of handing out participation trophies.

I guess where I'm really lost is why is your coach leaving after winning a natty? You play in an inferior conference, and if all that is required for a natty is to go undefeated, he could probably win one every year.

21stamps

Simple, because they are not the national champions. The banner is ridiculous.

UCF

Wow. I'm sorry. You guys had a solid team, but showing up and handing a team their fourth loss is hardly worthy of a self-proclaimed "national championship." I guess this is the logical next step after a generation of handing out participation trophies.

I guess where I'm really lost is why is your coach leaving after winning a natty? You play in an inferior conference, and if all that is required for a natty is to go undefeated, he could probably win one every year.
A number of computer polls along with publications have also declared UCF national champions. The coach wants to go back to his Alma Mater and see if he can win one there. Its not exactly uncommon for national championship coaches to leave, they're offered more money at every level and can generally get whatever job they want. In recent history, Urban Mayer left UF shortly after winning a national championship as well.

UCF is undefeated against Alabama and won the last matchup with Georgia as well, both the teams in the CFP. UCF, Alabama, and Georgia all played 3 ranked teams during the regular season, so the schedules sure appear similar in toughness (many computer rankings have UCF with a tougher schedule then at least one of those 2). But national championships are played on the field, not in ancient history or in a committee room.

Alabama also has declared itself national championship without undefeated seasons or #1 rankings from the major polls multiple times. This is just the way NCAAF national champs are.

I do wish the NCAA would take over the postseason and eliminate having a CFP invitational championship and championships by polls and newspapers, but this is the system we have today. A real playoff among all conference champions (and maybe a couple at larges) would make more sense, and make it more similar to every other sport in the world.

21stamps

I am sure there will be another parade for the real national champions from the SEC.

UCF had a good run though.

Right, the “real” national champions. Claiming this title is so stupid.

Are there flaws with the CFP committee? 100%. And I constantly call out those flaws..but, it’s at least an improvement over the BCS.. hopefully soon we will see an expanded playoff.

Right now.. it’s a 4 team playoff. I don’t agree with Alabama being there.. but they are.

UCF had an undefeated season and post season.. they rightly earned an undefeated title and a Peach Bowl trophy.

They are NOT the national champions.

Marlins1

The national championship claim is over the top but fans do that and their season was truly great. The win over Auburn took it to a higher level. I’m sorry but going out of your way to knock a sports story like that is not cool.

UCF

My comment is a fact. You can google the date of the NCAA National Championship game. It hasn’t taken place yet.

This is reality. And this is coming from a person who despises both teams who will be playing in the title game.
I did the Googling you requeted and I think you need to do it as well. It looks like there is no NCAA National Championship game scheduled. The NCAA does not sanction a "National Championship" game in Div 1 BCS college football. Infact, I'll do you one better and link you to the Wikipedia article that explains how College football national championships work, which under that, UCF qualifies:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football_national_championships_in_NCAA_Division_I_FBS

I agree its a bit of a crazy way to do it, but thats the system we have, if you don't like it, fight for it to be changed, but we can't take it away from UCF who earned their national championship on the field. Under NCAA rules, we're looking at a split national championship, just like we have had in 2003, 1997, etc...

For those who claim UCF didn't earn it, what is your philosophy? They were predetermined to lose no matter what happens before the season even started? Only a few traditional powerhouses should be considered for the title regardless of what happens on the field? And how do you explain the 30+ times this has happened in the past?

NearTheEars

UCF had an awesome season and they should celebrate it. But the modern era only awards one National Champ and it comes through the playoff. Yes, prior to the BCS and CFP the AP and other polls would split among teams, it that was then.

Again, awesome season. I was rooting for them in the Peach Bowl. But national champ they are not.

NearTheEars

A number of computer polls along with publications have also declared UCF national champions.

Could you point us to some links on this? I have yet to see anyone report on a major poll or organization declaring them the champs. Especially before CFP game has even been played.

21stamps

The national championship claim is over the top but fans do that and their season was truly great. The win over Auburn took it to a higher level. I’m sorry but going out of your way to knock a sports story like that is not cool.

Their season was great. I actually hoped the committee would throw a kink in everything and pick UCF over Bama or OSU. I’m not trying to rain on anyone’s parade. I just love football...but not false titles, especially with a schedule such as UCF had. I do hope, for UCF, that their conference will improve.. they’ll get more respect when/if that happens... I’d also like to see an 8 team playoff scenario.

21stamps

I did the Googling you requeted and I think you need to do it as well. It looks like there is no NCAA National Championship game scheduled. The NCAA does not sanction a "National Championship" game in Div 1 BCS college football. Infact, I'll do you one better and link you to the Wikipedia article that explains how College football national championships work, which under that, UCF qualifies:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football_national_championships_in_NCAA_Division_I_FBS

I agree its a bit of a crazy way to do it, but thats the system we have, if you don't like it, fight for it to be changed, but we can't take it away from UCF who earned their national championship on the field. Under NCAA rules, we're looking at a split national championship, just like we have had in 2003, 1997, etc...

For those who claim UCF didn't earn it, what is your philosophy? They were predetermined to lose no matter what happens before the season even started? Only a few traditional powerhouses should be considered for the title regardless of what happens on the field? And how do you explain the 30+ times this has happened in the past?

Come on now. They didn’t earn a title because they didn’t play in a national champ title game.

They played in the Peach Bowl.

These are the teams in the NCAA Playoffs and Final...
FE94AD0C-8318-45A7-B463-E615380F4913.png

UCF

Could you point us to some links on this? I have yet to see anyone report on a major poll or organization declaring them the champs. Especially before CFP game has even been played.
While some are waiting, some have, here's an example: http://www.theprincegeorgejournal.c...nal-names-central-florida-knights-fbs-champs/ The problem is UCF is undefeated, including against in its NY6 bowl game against a team that beat both the teams in the CFP final game, which makes that a bit of consolation prize to many... I'm sure they'll end up being declared national champions too, but why are you struggling so much recognizing there is 2 of them? An invitational playoff isn't the way to stop the multiple NCAA championships. You need a system where all the conference champions are in a playoff so every team has a shot, otherwise, we're in this situation every so many years where multiple teams can declare themselves national champs. I mean, if Alabama wins the CFP game, they still lost there conference division and conference title, how would that even make sense?

Marlins1

Their season was great. I actually hoped the committee would throw a kink in everything and pick UCF over Bama or OSU. I’m not trying to rain on anyone’s parade. I just love football...but not false titles, especially with a schedule such as UCF had. I do hope, for UCF, that their conference will improve.. they’ll get more respect when/if that happens... I’d also like to see an 8 team playoff scenario.
I agree and the comment that got me going was not yours. It was the one about “participation trophies” - the players don’t make the schedule and they won every game they played. Not exactly deserving of a participation trophy label.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom