Galaxy's Edge popularity vs Potter's popularity

jt04

I'm not saying this to demean Uni, which has some really nice things, but, WDW has been so far ahead of Uni, that in order for Uni to catch up, they'd have to be doing what they're doing for the next ten years with WDW doing nothing. That's 10 years of nothing new to get into the danger zone.

But, in just the next 4 years, WDW will be giving 8 attractions an overhaul and adding 8 more, among other things. WDW is very easily staying ahead.

Comcast could catch up but I'd be surprised if they make the effort.

AEfx

But how much of that stuff can they sell in Batuu? I'd also argue that not much of that will be appealing to visitors that aren't star wars super fans. HP will win out by selling lots of lower priced items in larger quantities to a wider variety of people. My argument isn't that Star Wars is a less merchandisable franchise it's that the positioning of goods as in universe products works out more in favour of HP since it has more to offer in that respect.

That is the most daffy statement I have seen anyone thus make about Star Wars in this thread.

You do realize that Star Wars Weekends, where they threw up some Meet and Greets and a Parade, were attended by throngs of people just to stand in line and buy merchandise, right?

Go to Toys R Us and see how much Potter merchandise you find - if you really hunt, you might find some themed socks on clearance, or some branded party favors in the paper-goods aisle. Then you can go over to the Star Wars aisle, the same place they have been selling Star Wars merchandise for the past 23-odd years since they started producing it again (with no films in the theaters).

The two are not even in the same stratosphere when it comes to merchandising.

quackmar

I quite enjoy HP and was pleased with both lands. I never made a trip to US based on a HP area opening though.

I have been a SW fan for many many more years. I don't want to go right at the opening of GE but I do plan to go sometime within the first year. I have already started the Jedi Mind Tricks on my Disney neutral spouse in regards to the cost.

The Empress Lilly

For the sake of interest, total lifetime revenue - movies, books, toys, merchandise (not value as the bar header says):

Star Wars $42 billion
Potter $25 billion

a-staggering-chart-credit-fortune.jpg

PizzaPlanet

The real question is, where will these 2 franchises be in 50 years.

Kids will still be reading Potter long after Disney kills the goose that lays the golden eggs.
Star Wars isn't going anywhere. Disney is better than any other company in the world at keeping characters relevant for generations. Just look at Mickey Mouse and compare his current popularity and relevance to other animated mascots from that era, like Felix the Cat.

AEfx

Star Wars isn't going anywhere. Disney is better than any other company in the world at keeping characters relevant for generations. Just look at Mickey Mouse and compare his current popularity and relevance to other animated mascots from that era, like Felix the Cat.

In spite of how I feel about TLJ, I wholeheartedly agree. There was no better choice for the sale of Lucasfilm. It had to happen, and it went to the right home.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Comcast could catch up but I'd be surprised if they make the effort.

Since Disney is now updating and adding at the same rate as Uni, no. Comcast can't catch up unless they spend 10 times as much.

Be surprised, because Comcast is indeed making the effort.

And it's not about Comcast trying to be number one. It's about being a very profitable number two.

Disneyhead'71

Since Disney is now updating and adding at the same rate as Uni, no. Comcast can't catch up unless they spend 10 times as much.

Be surprised, because Comcast is indeed making the effort.

And it's not about Comcast trying to be number one. It's about being a very profitable number two.
I still believe that Uni will outpace Disney with additions over the next decade.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I still believe that Uni will outpace Disney with additions over the next decade.

I know you've said Universal will be building 30+ attractions in the next decade. But WDW, in 2017 to 2021 will have:

Minor overhauls:
  • Circle of Life
  • Speedway
  • Gran Fiesta
  • Stitch
  • World Showcase movie upgrades
  • Green Mission Space
  • Star Tours Scene

Major overhauls:
  • UoE to a new E-Ticket
  • TGMR to a new E-Ticket
  • and at least two of these three overhauled: Mermaid, BatB, Indy
  • Illuminations WotW
  • new Cirque Show
  • HEA

Brand New
  • Pandora Land with an E and B ticket
  • TRON Cycle
  • MK Theater
  • UK ride
  • Rat ride
  • Slinky Dog Dash
  • ASwS
  • Falcon - E-Ticket
  • Battle Escape - E-Ticket
  • SW Resort
  • Night time parade
  • Space Restaurant
  • Gondolas
  • New DVC tower and new Coronado tower
  • Brazil Pavilion
And that's just 4 years. If the capex money expenditures at WDW stays the same, well then you can double that list and add more. The list doesn't include rumored things to be done within 10 years such as: two more national pavilions; Dinoland overhaul; new thing north of Kali; expansion to Pandora and SWL; more resorts; another big ticket item at MK; any eventual 'next phase' at DHS; whatever may happen to Imagination or WoL pavilions; new transportation system.

I in no way want to diminish what Universal is doing. And their investment in the next 10 years may outstrip what WDW is investing. And it's great that it may be spurring WDW to do more. But, with all that WDW is doing in just 4 years, I can't see what Universal is doing as 'catching up.'

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I know you've said Universal will be building 30+ attractions in the next decade. But WDW, in 2017 to 2021 will have:

Minor overhauls:
  • Circle of Life
  • Speedway
  • Gran Fiesta
  • Stitch
  • World Showcase movie upgrades
  • Green Mission Space
  • Star Tours Scene

Major overhauls:
  • UoE to a new E-Ticket
  • TGMR to a new E-Ticket
  • and at least two of these three overhauled: Mermaid, BatB, Indy
  • Illuminations WotW
  • new Cirque Show
  • HEA

Brand New
  • Pandora Land with an E and B ticket
  • TRON Cycle
  • MK Theater
  • UK ride
  • Rat ride
  • Slinky Dog Dash
  • ASwS
  • Falcon - E-Ticket
  • Battle Escape - E-Ticket
  • SW Resort
  • Night time parade
  • Space Restaurant
  • Gondolas
  • New DVC tower and new Coronado tower
  • Brazil Pavilion
And that's just 4 years. If the capex money expenditures at WDW stays the same, well then you can double that list and add more. The list doesn't include rumored things to be done within 10 years such as: two more national pavilions; Dinoland overhaul; new thing north of Kali; expansion to Pandora and SWL; more resorts; another big ticket item at MK; any eventual 'next phase' at DHS; whatever may happen to Imagination or WoL pavilions; new transportation system.

I in no way want to diminish what Universal is doing. And their investment in the next 10 years may outstrip what WDW is investing. And it's great that it may be spurring WDW to do more. But, with all that WDW is doing in just 4 years, I can't see what Universal is doing as 'catching up.'
You’ll want to push your end dates to 2023-4.

mergatroid

Original Poster
I’ve no idea when they’ll announce.

Martin, do you know anything about the Potter coaster at IOA? For instance would they consider building a 'mountain' for it like Splash, Thunder or Everest, have it indoors like Space Mountain or will it be a great but generic looking coaster similar to Hulk?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I won’t press for loads of info just 1 further question...

Does their plan for WDWs 50th go beyond Potter & Nintendo, in terms of big new attractions?
They have a lot of attractions planned. It often seems they’re all vying to be built first. I know of ten myself off the top of my head for the existing parks that should happen, then you’ve got the new park too.

Plus you have several new resorts, that new park, and a lot of infrastructure too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom