Where is Walt's plane? UPDATE - Coming to D23 2022

danlb_2000

Premium Member
nearmap or another satellite mapping company should be able to help. They update roughly every 3 months.

Unfortunately Nearmap closed all the loop holes that allowed you to view things for free, and the paid service is pretty expensive. The is area is pretty close to the edge of the no-fly zone so someone might be able to get a picture from outside the zone.

WDW Monorail

You people do realize that aircraft are designed to sit outside in various atmospheric conditions right? The plane sat on static display outside for the past 24 years so why is the fact that it's outside now become an issue?

Florida dors not have the ideal climate for long term aircraft storage however there is zero residual value left for parts so slight damage due to corrosion really is not an issue. The aircraft will never fly again either. Historic aircraft sit outside of many locations and do just fine as a static display.

So what is people's issue? That the aircraft isn't viewable to the public at this time?

Goofyernmost

You people do realize that aircraft are designed to sit outside in various atmospheric conditions right? The plane sat on static display outside for the past 24 years so why is the fact that it's outside now become an issue?

Florida dors not have the ideal climate for long term aircraft storage however there is zero residual value left for parts so slight damage due to corrosion really is not an issue. The aircraft will never fly again either. Historic aircraft sit outside of many locations and do just fine as a static display.

So what is people's issue? That the aircraft isn't viewable to the public at this time?
That would pretty much be the issue right now, yes. Whether or not it returns to public viewing still remains to be seen. They have a very full plate right now with new lands, many, many upgrades, new builds and changes, so I doubt that the relocation of the plane is a huge priority to anyone. When you come right down to it, it shouldn't even be a big priority for the rest of us either. It's sort of like when you give a kid a candy bar and they start to whine because you didn't give them two.

WDW Monorail

That would pretty much be the issue right now, yes. Whether or not it returns to public viewing still remains to be seen. They have a very full plate right now with new lands, many, many upgrades, new builds and changes, so I doubt that the relocation of the plane is a huge priority to anyone. When you come right down to it, it shouldn't even be a big priority for the rest of us either. It's sort of like when you give a kid a candy bar and they start to whine because you didn't give them two.

I remember several years ago when there was roof repairs being performed at an office building on property and people on this side were furious that money was being spent on a backstage office instead of in a park. Posters on this site know nothing of allocation of funds. The aircraft is such an obscure attraction but I suppose meaningful to some.
Regardless, it doesn't matter what becomes of the aircraft. Even if it is displayed nicely somewhere some people will complain that it doesn't fit the theme of the environment or some other trivial complaint.

Goofyernmost

They’ve had bigger.
Really? When in the last decade have they had more things going on? And even if they did, how, do we know what things were put on the back burner during that time if no one was... a) aware of what was pending or b) were even a little curious about things previous to the social media explosion we now have to live with? Basically, saying that "they've had bigger" is meaningless without the entire story. And concerning this particular topic... do you know that they aren't planning to do anything with the plane. I'm curious because you have been very vague on it fate over the past few months other then saying "it's still on site". So to say it the way you said means that you know that current belief is that it is going to remain a rusting relic.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Really? When in the last decade have they had more things going on? And even if they did, how, do we know what things were put on the back burner during that time if no one was... a) aware of what was pending or b) were even a little curious about things previous to the social media explosion we now have to live with? Basically, saying that "they've had bigger" is meaningless without the entire story. And concerning this particular topic... do you know that they aren't planning to do anything with the plane. I'm curious because you have been very vague on it fate over the past few months other then saying "it's still on site". So to say it the way you said means that you know that current belief is that it is going to remain a rusting relic.
In the last decade they’ve been poneying with development. Cast your mind back to 1987-90. THATS when things were busy.

Yes, I’ve been vague about the plane.

Pixieish

It really doesn't look very good these days...you can't just let things sit without being cleaned and otherwise tended to or they rot. Aluminum does corrode over time unless protected by a coating of some kind - it sort of turns to powder. This pic is from Eisner's twitter account...
walt'splane.jpg

Last edited:

yensid1954

In the last decade they’ve been poneying with development. Cast your mind back to 1987-90. THATS when things were busy.

Yes, I’ve been vague about the plane.
Yes, I am a first time poster, I've been on the site for years and lost my previous log in and password in a hard drive crash. I saw the plane tucked away, well out of site and unable to be seen from Bear Island Road, and am working on getting a picture to post to the site. I felt that WDW Magic was the best place to at least let the world know where it is being stored. I will say that if they were going to get rid of it, it would have disappeared and been dismantled, crushed, shredded and/or turned to unidentifiable scraps of aluminum. That it is stored somewhere with the public cannot see it appears to me that they're either undecided on its future, or there are plans for it well down the road. The plane appears to be intact, nothing seems damaged on the exterior other than the typical accretion of Florida weathering crud.
Pictures?????? @marni1971 can you somehow substantiate this as? Although I have no reason not to believe this post, it is an amazing find from a first time poster....

My current log in shows a first time poster, but I have been active on the site for a number of years, I lost my previous log in and password data in a hard drive crash and could not recover it.

I am working on getting a picture, it will take some time, but I'll get one.

the plane appears to be intact, no damage from handling or what have you, I have to think that if they were going to simply scrap it, it would have not been moved intact, they'd have dismantled it, taking the wings off and then simply left it in storage unassembled. Why spend time and money on reassembly if they were going to scrap it?

My hopeful side says that they have plans in the future for it, after all the only issue I was able to see was that it was impacted by the couple of years worth of accumulated Florida weathering (who knows what type of paint/finish was applied when they repainted it to the original colors). My negative side says that they have no clue on what to do in the future, keep it well out of site for some time and then finally reduce it to aluminum chips....

Movielover

Where would an Ideal location be for it to be put on display in WDW? Off the top of my head places that would make sense are Disney Springs, outside the TDO building, maybe somewhere in Epcot?

PizzaPlanet

It really doesn't look very good these days...you can't just let things sit without being cleaned and otherwise tended to or they rot. Aluminum does corrode over time unless protected by a coating of some kind - it sort of turns to powder. This pic is from Bob Iger's twitter account...
View attachment 249759
Why did Bob Iger post a picture of Michael Eisner on his Twitter? Were they spending the day together at DHS and decided to take pictures backstage?

Castle Cake Apologist

The issue people have seems to be that Disney has moved it out of sight and is no longer bothering to maintain it. From the report we've received, the plane is showing visible signs of neglect. One can't help but be reminded of the fate of SpectroMagic. To your point, I wound imagine that most aircraft, even those that just sit outside, receive some basic form of maintenance to keep them from rotting and deteriorating.

It is an important piece of the company's history, and people are rightfully upset that the company seems to have no regard for its condition or future. Much as the company no longer seems to have any regard for its legacy, of which the plane is an invaluable part of.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom