Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

AEfx

It is possible to not support the parks mission statement and still yet be "in theme". The African Drummers don't support the parks mission statement and yet are still "in theme" since the theme of that land is actually "Africa", not "African animals".

If you traveled to South America, how outside the realm of possibility would it be to encounter an archaeologist in the wild if you just so happen to be poking around an Aztec pyramid?

Probably better than EVER finding yourself poking around an alien planet.

I agree. After Avatar, I don't see any problem with it whatsoever. Indy would fit better in AK than any other park.

Pixieish

I agree. After Avatar, I don't see any problem with it whatsoever. Indy would fit better in AK than any other park.

I agree too...I'm actually kind of surprised he doesn't have a presence there already as he fits with the dig theme in DinoLand.

peter11435

Avatar is a film that revolves heavily around conservation, nature, animals, and most importantly mans relationship with all three.

I don't see how anyone can feel Indy would fit better at DAK than the park that is entirely about movies or even the park with a land entirely dedicated to adventure.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Avatar is a film that revolves heavily around conservation, nature, animals, and most importantly mans relationship with all three.

I don't see how anyone can feel Indy would fit better at DAK than the park that is entirely about movies or even the park with a land entirely dedicated to adventure.

True, but if it's "Indiana Jones Saves a Paleontologist" story or a "Indiana Jones saves an Endangered Species" story, it would fit better than more the half the rides already in DAK.

peter11435

True, but if it's "Indiana Jones Saves a Paleontologist" story or a "Indiana Jones saves an Endangered Species" story, it would fit better than more the half the rides already in DAK.
Any IP could be adapted to fit anywhere. That doesn't mean it belongs.

Wreck it Ralph could come to animal kingdom. He could leave fix it Felix and sugar rush and enter a new game set in the jungles of Asia.

lazyboy97o

Why doesn't Disney just rename this park like they keep renaming the Studios (at least we're expecting another name change)...Disney's Explorer's Kingdom or something
A strong theme shouldn’t be tossed out just to make it easier to “fit” any movie franchise.

The park's theme is conservation, isn't it?
That is more a secondary theme that comes out of its main focus on the value and power of nature.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
A strong theme shouldn’t be tossed out just to make it easier to “fit” any movie franchise.

That is more a secondary theme that comes out of its main focus on the value and power of nature.

I agree, but people IMO are too hung up on the "Animal" part where anything that isn't Animal related can't fit. Like I said before, Disney has a Sea based park with a lot of attractions that aren't directly based on the sea/ocean...but a lot of attractions that fit near the theme.

lazyboy97o

I agree, but people IMO are too hung up on the "Animal" part where anything that isn't Animal related can't fit. Like I said before, Disney has a Sea based park with a lot of attractions that aren't directly based on the sea/ocean...but a lot of attractions that fit near the theme.
Tokyo DisneySEA is more about exploration and adventure, thus you have SEA (Society of Explorers and Adventurers). A good theme park has its theme built into its very design. Changing the name doesn’t make things fit better, it’s just another contortion.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Tokyo DisneySEA is more about exploration and adventure, thus you have SEA (Society of Explorers and Adventurers). A good theme park has its theme built into its very design. Changing the name doesn’t make things fit better, it’s just another contortion.

Yes, but I bet 95% of people don't know that SEA also stands for the Society of Explorers and Adventurers

AEfx

I get what you are saying - really. But, if I walked around a corner in AK and found and Indy ride, I wouldn't find it jarring, at all. Even just aesthetically. I think it would stand out like a sore thumb at the Studios at this point, and that an Adventureland expansion at MK could be used for a lot better things. It's just my opinion, of course. I want an Indy ride, I'll take it anywhere I can get it - but it just feels to me that the AK still needs another big attraction, and an Indy adventure could certainly be themed to fit in - if Indy can do aliens, certainly animals could be worked into an original story line, particularly now that Disney owns the entire thing and could cook up whatever they wanted.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Now see, if "nature" really is the prime theme of DAK, then where are all the attractions based on plant life? Or natural phenomena, like storms?

I would kinda think that "animals" as a a subset of "nature" is the theme of Animal Kingdom, with their place in nature as the secondary theme.

And while one can imagine a lot of shows and displays based on animals... the hard part is coming up with **rides** base on animals without going the route of Six Flags or Sea Word and painting leopard spots on a coaster and calling it "The Speeding Leopard!!"

Pixieish

I get what you are saying - really. But, if I walked around a corner in AK and found and Indy ride, I wouldn't find it jarring, at all. Even just aesthetically. I think it would stand out like a sore thumb at the Studios at this point, and that an Adventureland expansion at MK could be used for a lot better things. It's just my opinion, of course. I want an Indy ride, I'll take it anywhere I can get it - but it just feels to me that the AK still needs another big attraction, and an Indy adventure could certainly be themed to fit in - if Indy can do aliens, certainly animals could be worked into an original story line, particularly now that Disney owns the entire thing and could cook up whatever they wanted.
I'm on the same page you are, my friend. I think with the ruins and overall atmosphere in AK, Indy would feel like he belonged there.

lazyboy97o

Now see, if "nature" really is the prime theme of DAK, then where are all the attractions based on plant life? Or natural phenomena, like storms?
This power is demonstrated in the placemaking.

I would kinda think that "animals" as a a subset of "nature" is the theme of Animal Kingdom, with their place in nature as the secondary theme.
“Intrinsic value of nature” is the term that is constantly repeated by those who developed the park.

And while one can imagine a lot of shows and displays based on animals... the hard part is coming up with **rides** base on animals without going the route of Six Flags or Sea Word and painting leopard spots on a coaster and calling it "The Speeding Leopard!!"
Good design requires hard work.

TROR

DisneySea's theme is still the ocean and water, y'all. There's a reason they have ports instead of lands and why all the ports have to do with being on a coast or on a bank of a river.

lazyboy97o

DisneySea's theme is still the ocean and water, y'all. There's a reason they have ports instead of lands and why all the ports have to do with being on a coast or on a bank of a river.
They’re places connected by the sea. Nobody is doubting the importance of that connective tissue. It’s what makes the park more specific and richer than just a generic, anything goes adventures park like people want to see Disney’s Animal Kingdom turned into.

peter11435

I don't think it would stick out that badly at animal kingdom. But it would be the start of an erosion of theme for the park. Something DAK has been the only Florida park to avoid.

I don't see how it could stick out like a sore thumb at a park that already has an Indy attraction.

I too would like an Indy attraction but I would prefer it not come at the expense of DAKs overall theme and mission. Nor do I wish to see the IP manipulated drastically to make it fit. I'd prefer to just fly to California or Japan for my Indy fix than have either of those things happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom