Just got back from DL Resort...few thoughts

Mickey_777

Original Poster
First off, thanks for reading and I'll try to keep it brief. Second I want to thank the Dodgers and record breaking heat for keeping the parks very managable a week before Halloween. Last Tuesday was possibly the best day we've ever had at DL. Nearly everything was walk on at some point with E tickets maybe getting 30 min waits.

-For the most part, the park looks good with the exceptions of Toontown and Splash which are well documented.
-Attractions (still) go down quite frequently at DL. Indy is my favorite attraction anywhere and once I was mabye 15 people away from getting on when they announced it was down.
-We noticed that dress code in particular is seldom enforced especially with females. We've seen less skin at the beach but I guess it's okay as long as you have Mickey ears on? One guy in particular had a four letter word spelled out on his t-shirt but using Disney characters so it's cool I guess?
-The Halloween decor was well done throughout with the exception of the bats on Buena Vista Street. Those look cheap to me. Cars land is very well done.
-I still find it odd that they'd put snow on the castle and start decorating for Christmas prior to the 31st of October. I wasn't complaining though. Christmas at DL is the best. If it were possible, we would have postponed our trip a few weeks to be there for that.
-Is getting high in the Pacific Wharf restrooms during World of Color a thing now? The smell punches you in the face when heading that way after the show.
-We've been sleeping on Award Wieners all this time. Went there twice last week and really enjoyed the food. The fries are really unique too.
-I love the whole SoCal vs NorCal thing you see at the parks with folks repping their cities and sports teams. Love the whole Disney biker gang thing too. It's kinda goofy but cool.
-I'm afraid for DLR as a whole once Star Wars opens. Even on that Tuesday when we knew the parks were very light on crowds, it still "felt" crowded. It's not going to be pretty and I hope Star Wars doesn't break Disneyland. I'm sure it's been discussed at nauseum and I'll admit I haven't been keeping up. Weekends already seem to be at the breaking point. Sure hope they have a plan.
-All in all we had a blast. How could you not?

New Stuff:
-The updated Railroad is very nice and the dioramas prior to arriving back on MS have great effects. Sucks that the animals around the river are so plastic though.
-I'm not a fan of the Guardians overlay on Tower. Is this only for Halloween or...seriously, when is regular Tower coming back? I'm kidding but it really is nothing more than an over budget overlay of a good attraction that actually fit the theme of that land. The "new" ride is thrilling and enjoyable but it's no Tower. And I couldn't help but feel like they just slapped some Guardians stuff over what was there before. They tried. They really did but it falls short.

Last edited:

drizgirl

I'm fearful that SWL will break DL as well. Not sure what plan they could possibly have to keep that from happening.

Glad you had a great trip before the storm hits!

mickEblu

I don't think Star Wars Land will break DL. What does that even mean? I think that it will be really uncomfortable for maybe a year and start to get better from there. Once all the APs ( the majority of DL visitors) have got their kick, the attractions and land will become part of the regular rotation. The fact that their will be a near identical copy in Florida means DL won't carry the burden for ALL people in the US wanting to see it. And I don't see this is a huge draw for many foreign tourists.

Things aren't new and shiny forever. Everything gets old.

Mickey_777

Original Poster
I don't think Star Wars Land will break DL. What does that even mean? I think that it will be really uncomfortable for maybe a year and start to get better from there. Once all the APs ( the majority of DL visitors) have got their kick, the attractions and land will become part of the regular rotation. The fact that their will be a near identical copy in Florida means DL won't carry the burden for ALL people in the US wanting to see it. And I don't see this is a huge draw for many foreign tourists.

Break/ruin/severely hamper...

I'm with you as far as hoping that things do chill out after a year or so but they're building this thing in one of the more congested parts of the park as it is now. RSR and Carsland as a whole are still going strong 5 years later and as far as IP's go, it's not the juggernaut Star Wars is. I'm hoping for the best though I really am.

BrianLo

I think people might be pleasantly surprised to find DL crowds more manageable outside of SW:GE. Personally, I saw that with both Diagon Alley and Pandora. Those lands were packed to the gills, but the rest of the park was light. Easily 15k people can be crammed into both queues and ancillary areas/holding pens to get in the place.

If >15k people consistently start showing up to DL than usual, yes it will be noticeable. But I don't think DL will receive that sort of sustained attendance spike outside of the opening weeks.

The one thing this has going for it is that 14 acres is being added into guest accessible space. In DL numbers that's massive.

I think a small Star Wars area in tomorrowland would have broken the park by comparison.

Mickey_777

Original Poster
How much "Christmas" was set up? Ill be there this weekend and hoping to see it after Halloween has ended.

Off the top of my head (and more has surely been added) there was snow on the castle as well as Christmas merch most stores. Garland/Ornaments had been placed throughout Critter Country and New Orleans Square. Over in DCA, Grizzly Peak was decked out in Garland too. World of Disney was also started to change over too from what I remember. Oh and the main face on Small World already had his Santa hat on.

jmuboy

I have to agree that say what you want about adding Star Wars to DL - adding a copy to wdw was a good plan to balance the demand somewhat.

Phroobar

Off the top of my head (and more has surely been added) there was snow on the castle as well as Christmas merch most stores. Garland/Ornaments had been placed throughout Critter Country and New Orleans Square. Over in DCA, Grizzly Peak was decked out in Garland too. World of Disney was also started to change over too from what I remember. Oh and the main face on Small World already had his Santa hat on.
What's the point of decorating for a holiday when they start changing over to another holiday before the first holiday happens?

kkocka

-We noticed that dress code in particular is seldom enforced especially with females. We've seen less skin at the beach...
-I'm afraid for DLR as a whole once Star Wars opens.

-It makes me feel old to agree, but you're absolutely right. I've seen a LOT of a ss cheek at the Parks lately, it's amazing. What's the point of having a dress code if you can look like a trashy s.lut? Are they too scared to enforce properly and have to be the bad guy?

-Also agree. I'm afraid when Star Wars opens, it'll absolutely bombard the the park and every day will be as crowded as the holiday or summer season. It's not fun to go to the Parks lately w/crowds and you just have to wonder how insane it will be in the future with 2 refreshed theme parks and a giant hotel to boot. These are theme parks that can't expand to accommodate capacity any further.

Mickey_777

Original Poster
LOL
Did you smelled weed in the parks!?

It was unmistakable. I suppose just about anything nefarious can take place in the Pacific Wharf restrooms during World of Color. I should have reported it but my guess is that it's a common thing now.

nevol

-It makes me feel old to agree, but you're absolutely right. I've seen a LOT of a ss cheek at the Parks lately, it's amazing. What's the point of having a dress code if you can look like a trashy s.lut? Are they too scared to enforce properly and have to be the bad guy?

-Also agree. I'm afraid when Star Wars opens, it'll absolutely bombard the the park and every day will be as crowded as the holiday or summer season. It's not fun to go to the Parks lately w/crowds and you just have to wonder how insane it will be in the future with 2 refreshed theme parks and a giant hotel to boot. These are theme parks that can't expand to accommodate capacity any further.
Not sure where of course, but DCA uses about 1 million of its 3 or 3.5 million square feet of themed entertainment space that it is legally allowed to offer. Nowhere near built out. Disneyland did a good job of cramming a ton of rides and show buildings into a small space, while DCA is far more spread out. You can just feel it over there; any line you are in, you feel rightfully as though a quarter of the people in the park are right there with you. This is where they'll expand certainly. And when SWL is over Fantasyland and Tomorrowland will be reworked. Ideally a more permanent backstage bypass through tomorrowland along mainstreet than their corridors right now. Etc. The rest of the space will just need to be used more wisely than it is today (cough; launch bay)

But ultimately, the park will hit capacity daily once star wars opens. And rather than dangerous crowds at security every morning, they would be wise to implement a reservation system through which APs and day tickets are scheduled a night in advance. Of course, they won't get rid of fastpass/maxpass because money and infrastructure for gaming at SW:GE.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

You bumped this thread for this???

???
I do not know what "bump the thread" means. sorry I am new to the boards and apologize if I did something wrong or violated any site rules. I like to read the old posts from before my time to catch up and sometimes if I see a comment I like I will "like it" or may respond to it. is that against the rules? please tell me that way I can correct any thing I did wrong for the future. I don't want to be kicked off the site.

BasiltheBatLord

I do not know what "bump the thread" means. sorry I am new to the boards and apologize if I did something wrong or violated any site rules. I like to read the old posts from before my time to catch up and sometimes if I see a comment I like I will "like it" or may respond to it. is that against the rules? please tell me that way I can correct any thing I did wrong for the future. I don't want to be kicked off the site.
Posting in old threads is generally considered bad ettiquite on forums, particularly if you have nothing worthwhile to contribute to them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom