Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyFan18

That wasn't on the list last I heard.
Thanks, I was kinda of hoping it would after seeing the Disneyland Shanghai version... Are they still going to the 50 projects by WDW50? (If they do, I would love it if they added some checklist to the app during the WDW)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
In comparison, Disney has DONE and is doing a TON more than Universal. Lets keep in mind, Universal has a fun coaster in Rip Rocket that breaks down once a day and they have had issues since it opened, the Jimmy Kimmel ride is awful, the SImpsons is Awful, Men In Black and Terminator are outdated and in disrepair, most of their new attractions are all carbon copies with different storylines ( they really like the screens and 3 d effect rides), Hulk is a good coaster thats just no different from a cedar point or 6 flags coaster, Spiderman is in disrepair, the two boat things (flumes and barges) are dirty, Suess land is a joke and always looks creepy more than kid friendly, Jurassic Park is outdated. Other than Potter land ( where they even effed up and didnt do something with Dueling Dragins long ago to tie it into the theme)and the Mummy, what have they done? Citywalk isnt all that impressive and other than Toothsome, the restaurants are eh. I think people hear Potter and say seeeee..But dont realize that is ALL they have done in 15 years that is worth a darn. The parks are the same, they are run down, not clean, the employees act like they dont want to be there, and they charge a fortune for the Fast pass system. Sure, there are some cool things and the Potter area is indeed amazing. But after seeing Pandora and knowing Star Wars is coming, what makes anyone think the Star Wars area wont morph Potter by miles and make Universal an afterthought again. Disney isnt doing anything? Really? You may not like what they are doing, but, they are doing things. And yep, they let Epcot fall off the planet, they let space mountain get run down, the original design of studios wasnt well thought out, animal kingdom was a half day park, but, there is a new energy into revamping and fixing parks. And all that anyone knows it what has been announced. You really think they are stopping there? Maybe they were slow to respond or react to Universal, but, there are other priorities in a company that large ( Shanghai, Euro, California, as well as the movie and studio/entertainment end of the company) and they have sent a shot across Universals bow with the Star Wars and Toy Story Land announcements. Reminding them, they know what they are doing. And there will be more to follow. Disney isnt done yet as so many here like to think.
Let's keep in mind that's opnion, not fact.

larandtra

Marni- While I respect your opinion and knowledge, while part of my Universal thoughts are opinion, a lot is absolute fact.. . The Rip Rocket issues are well documented, the cleanliness issues are well documented, The Simpsons has had issues to the point even employees when they go to the parks, they skip it. Having a relative in management there has taught me a lot about the real Universal which people here like to run comparisons against Disney. Outside of Potter, truly what is "new". Mummy is years old and I think is a great attraction, but, reality is, its not new. Transformers and Minions are reasonably new. If it werent for the fire in the backlot in 2008, there were no plans to move or replace Kong. That was necessity. There is a plethora of attractions they have come up with that bombed through the years and had to be replaced quickly. They whiffed by not redoing Dragons when they should have and are now scrambling to resolve that. You dont think Star Wars will easily make Harry Potter look like Childs play? While IM not a Disney is all sparkles and happy thoughts who does nothing wrong person because they certainly make their mistakes and trip over themselves at times. And IM highly critical when they do. This misnomer that Unievrsal is so fast and so reactive and never makes mistakes, their parks are without flaw and Disney has fallen behind, is just that. A HUGE misnomer. To be honest, Busch Gardens WIlliamsburg, Cedar Point, Six Flags Great America, Kennywood, Hershey Park, and Kings Island, are just as good parks as Universal and a couple BGW and Hershey are just as well set to their theme and just as much a theme park as Universal is. And they tend to have better attractions. I go to Universal once a year and even without having to pay for it, Im still not impressed. If I had to pay for it, Id be very disappointed. Just as I am with wasting AP days in Studios just to ride TSM, Star Tours, RNRC, and HTOT. Just as I am at times when I see the state of Epcot, tomorrowland, etc. But there are plans we know of and some we dont and DIsney is trying to right the ship or so it appears and I wont pass judgement until I see a finished product. But, I also wont sit back and say well Universal this and Universal that. universal isnt anything special. They just happened to get Potter.

SamN'Dean

Yeah, WDW hasn't done anything or going to do anything! Except updated Soarin'. And increased its capacity. And increased the capacity of TSMM. And changed Maelstrom into a much more popular ride. And made DAK a full day park with a night safari and night rides and River of Life and a first-class Land with an E-ticket ride and another ride and evening performances and Tree of Life Awakenings. And a new well-liked MK parade. And a new fireworks show with more fireworks and fantastic projections. And new evening shows at DHS. And updated Jedi Academy. And made Star Wars a year-round feature of the parks. And updated Mission Space with a friendlier scenario. And adding a Toy Story Land with two new rides. And adding a Star Wars Land with two new E-Tickets. And a Mickey Mouse E-Ticket. And a new coaster in Epcot. And a new coaster in MK. And a new theater in MK. And upgrading and overlaying Speed Track. And overhauling Tomorrowland. And upgrading and overhauling Illuminations.

Other than that, WDW is doing practically nothing!!!

The comment I was responding to was "Universal over the next few years will light a fire under them" and my response was simply to indicate that if Disney didn't have a "fire" under by now, it wasn't going to happen over the "next few years."

I NEVER said Disney isn't doing anything, but they hardly have a "fire" under them, do they? Because if they did, it wouldn't take longer to build a kid's coaster than it took to build Epcot.
That is, if context means anything to you.

SamN'Dean

Well, with Disney, it will be a good time to be a theme park fan in Orlando....when some of these projects actually get done 3-5 years from now...but right now, this is not true....

Exactly! I'm in no rush to revisit Pandora, and everything else new seems to be years off- so I guess I'll renew my AP next year, and skip it this year.

Frizzball

In comparison, Disney has DONE and is doing a TON more than Universal. Lets keep in mind, Universal has a fun coaster in Rip Rocket that breaks down once a day and they have had issues since it opened, the Jimmy Kimmel ride is awful, the SImpsons is Awful, Men In Black and Terminator are outdated and in disrepair, most of their new attractions are all carbon copies with different storylines ( they really like the screens and 3 d effect rides), Hulk is a good coaster thats just no different from a cedar point or 6 flags coaster, Spiderman is in disrepair, the two boat things (flumes and barges) are dirty, Suess land is a joke and always looks creepy more than kid friendly, Jurassic Park is outdated. Other than Potter land ( where they even effed up and didnt do something with Dueling Dragins long ago to tie it into the theme)and the Mummy, what have they done? Citywalk isnt all that impressive and other than Toothsome, the restaurants are eh. I think people hear Potter and say seeeee..But dont realize that is ALL they have done in 15 years that is worth a darn. The parks are the same, they are run down, not clean, the employees act like they dont want to be there, and they charge a fortune for the Fast pass system. Sure, there are some cool things and the Potter area is indeed amazing. But after seeing Pandora and knowing Star Wars is coming, what makes anyone think the Star Wars area wont morph Potter by miles and make Universal an afterthought again. Disney isnt doing anything? Really? You may not like what they are doing, but, they are doing things. And yep, they let Epcot fall off the planet, they let space mountain get run down, the original design of studios wasnt well thought out, animal kingdom was a half day park, but, there is a new energy into revamping and fixing parks. And all that anyone knows it what has been announced. You really think they are stopping there? Maybe they were slow to respond or react to Universal, but, there are other priorities in a company that large ( Shanghai, Euro, California, as well as the movie and studio/entertainment end of the company) and they have sent a shot across Universals bow with the Star Wars and Toy Story Land announcements. Reminding them, they know what they are doing. And there will be more to follow. Disney isnt done yet as so many here like to think.

I completely agree, while the Harry Potter worlds are amazing they're mostly just shops with one ride a piece all of Disney's new lands have at least 2 rides and more ride variety. The water rides at Universal are indeed disgusting, I rode Dudley Do Right's last month with my sister and it's so grimy it's got to be a health hazard. my sister touched the side of the boat and her hands came away green.

UpAllNight

Universal have some issues but it’s one of the greatest theme park resorts on the planet and if you find that much anger with a place of fun, I question if themed entertainment is for you,

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Exactly. WDW has a TON going on. It just gets ignored because some don't like the things they're doing. Not to mention there are things we haven't heard about yet from what I gather. But yeah, Universal sure is beating Disney ;)

Instead of people making it about "Uni's better. NO Disney's better", let's appreciate that both resorts are adding quite a bit over the next few years.

Yup Disney's adding upcharge experiences some carny rides and two star wars attractions with miniscule capacity WRT to expected demand, no idea what Universal is adding.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Whatever you or I think of what's being added, they're still adding and spending money. That doesn't negate that fact.

No it doesn't but its still too little too late. And the limited capacity is going to negatively affect guest satisfaction whenever it opens.

Disney needed to go big, instead they bunted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom