News Exploratory geotechnical borings for new Epcot retention pond suggest new projects are in the works

Epcot82Guy

Something to remember kids.

That was my fear. If we're talking a Disneyland Hotel Paris thing, there's a way, but it would need to be set way, way back. SSE is MUCH closer to the entry than the Castle. And, as others have pointed out, any towers or wings would need to be far enough over to keep the sightline of SSE relatively pure.

As always, I appreciate your help in killing that shred of hope I had they might get Epcot right, Martin. ;-)

deWild

Does the new Guardians building resemble the Kennedy Space Center in any way?
Kennedy-Space-Center-Visitor-Complex-VA-Building_2fd45f19-d42e-6f88-302acc89ec637f0d.jpg

Because if it was to stick out from Epcot's skyline, it could serve two purposes: theming for Guardians, and also a nice backdrop for the Space pavilion. I feel like this would be one idea that would not take away from SSE's iconic status if the Guardians building is going to be quite tall. Granted, Kennedy is only a short drive away from Orlando, but maybe it could function as the Kennedy Center-lite edition.

sedati

If there were to be a hotel at the entrance I think you'd see the opposite type of layout that you see at similar type hotels. I say this because most are tallest in the center to offer the best views into the park. But with Spaceship Earth right at the gate, I think you would put your higher floors out to the edges as the park view at center would be blocked by the sphere and as others have worried, would ruin how Spaceship Earth sits in the skyline. I'm picturing a shape a bit like a half-pipe. This way you would also have not one, but two higher points that can support lounges/restaurants with Illuminations views.

Epcot82Guy

If there were to be a hotel at the entrance I think you'd see the opposite type of layout that you see at similar type hotels. I say this because most are tallest in the center to offer the best views into the park. But with Spaceship Earth right at the gate, I think you would put your higher floors out to the edges as the park view at center would be blocked by the sphere and as others have worried, would ruin how Spaceship Earth sits in the skyline. I'm picturing a shape a bit like a half-pipe. This way you would also have not one, but two higher points that can support lounges/restaurants with Illuminations views.

That was my thought, too. But, the big threat is the loss of scale. One of WDW's biggest successes (and needs) is scale and proximity. Many things at the Resort feel so grand because of the forced perspective. SSE is certainly one of them. When you start putting physically large objects next to those, they diminish in size. I, for one, am concerned by that since they appear to be forgetting this fact in many areas - like the Coronado Springs tower, the Rapunzel Tower making HM feel less secluded, Bay Lake Tower and original Contemporary, etc. Even long ago with the more towering Swan and Dolphin to Boardwalk and Yacht & Beach.

The fact this is being slated as potentially 360 gives me a shred of hope, since that should not physically be as large a space. But, having it be the new entrance is concerning.

Hearing Judy Dench have to say, "Like a somewhat large, cool but not miraculous space Uber..." doesn't carry the same heft for me...

sedati

The fact this is being slated as potentially 360 gives me a shred of hope, since that should not physically be as large a space. But, having it be the new entrance is concerning.
I was assuming the gate hotel and the 360 rumor are two separate projects for two separate locations. Isn't the point of the 360 hotels that they offer an artificial view? Wouldn't that be a waste to put it at a park-view location?

Epcot82Guy

I was assuming the gate hotel and the 360 rumor are two separate projects for two separate locations. Isn't the point of the 360 hotels that they offer an artificial view? Wouldn't that be a waste to put it at a park-view location?

Certainly a possibility. I guess I was thinking a more public guest area with park views and rooms with the artificial views. But, two separate parts or hotels would also be possible.

Obviously, way to early for us commoners to know!

KCheatle

I never imagined the Star Wars hotel would be associated with the Epcot hotels?? I always assumed it would be associated with HS (Where it's all about the movies...but mostly Star Wars). Doesn't seem logical to me that the Star Wars hotel would be put here...But, what do I know?

Random Question - Are there "HS Hotels"? For DME, I've been in the MK, Epcot, and AK hotel groups, but I've never been part of an HS hotel group. Is there such a thing?

P_Radden

Epcots monorail station will probably be within walking distance.

I'd imagine anything built in this area will be more fitting for the area as a whole and not a misplaced IP.

Especially if it were to become the parks entrance.

I find this whole idea of an EPCOT front entrance resort quite interesting. Lots of possibilities.

Based on the hints dropped so far I've come up with 3 options for the location of the new resort.
1) This option I personally find unlikely as the current bus terminals will have to be relocated. Also a resort built in this area would block the view of Epcot from the express monorail line as it approaches and some areas of support buildings for Seas and Land could be visible from certain guest rooms.
EpcotEntryResortOpt1.png

2) In this option, think about the Contemporary Resort. If a resort tower were to be placed directly in center front of Epcot, the current monorail lines would pass through it and the existing station would have to be incorporated into the resort somehow. Also this concept would also block views of SSE as the monorail is approaching head on. I find this unlikely unless they have something really slick up their sleeves.
EpcotEntryResortOpt2.png

3) This option places the resort to the side of the main entrance behind Energy. This also would require the least amount of work relocating infrastructure items as the other 2 previously mentioned options. Personally, I feel this location would be the best option of the 3 I've listed.
EpcotEntryResortOpt3.png

michmousefan

I find this whole idea of an EPCOT front entrance resort quite interesting. Lots of possibilities.

Based on the hints dropped so far I've come up with 3 options for the location of the new resort.
1) This option I personally find unlikely as the current bus terminals will have to be relocated. Also a resort built in this area would block the view of Epcot from the express monorail line as it approaches and some areas of support buildings for Seas and Land could be visible from certain guest rooms.
View attachment 238610
2) In this option, think about the Contemporary Resort. If a resort tower were to be placed directly in center front of Epcot, the current monorail lines would pass through it and the existing station would have to be incorporated into the resort somehow. Also this concept would also block views of SSE as the monorail is approaching head on. I find this unlikely unless they have something really slick up their sleeves.
View attachment 238611

3) This option places the resort to the side of the main entrance behind Energy. This also would require the least amount of work relocating infrastructure items as the other 2 previously mentioned options. Personally, I feel this location would be the best option of the 3 I've listed.
View attachment 238613
Given that the last time I saw the Epcot bus terminals they were showing some serious age, perhaps the current bus depot area is where the new hotel will go (close enough to have a walkway to the existing monorail station), and the Epcot bus depot will move to a different location. Remember, once the Skyliner comes on line they won't need as many slots for a bunch of resorts...

P_Radden

Given that the last time I saw the Epcot bus terminals they were showing some serious age, perhaps the current bus depot area is where the new hotel will go (close enough to have a walkway to the existing monorail station), and the Epcot bus depot will move to a different location. Remember, once the Skyliner comes on line they won't need as many slots for a bunch of resorts...
If they do move the bus depot, I hope they find a new location that is closer to the park entrance. That can be a hike after a long day at the park.

nickys

Premium Member

View attachment 238610
View attachment 238611

View attachment 238613

Well Martin's already ruled out option 2, when he replied about it not having a monorail station.

But he's also suggested it could be the "entrance" to Epcot, which means option 1 might be closest.

I'm worried for the view of SSE, not only from the monorail but from anywhere really where the view could be blocked. But a resort near the entrance to Epcot could be cool. Hopefully they can find a way to make it work.

@marni1971 - is there some kind of timescale for this yet?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom