4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

freesvoice

I’m afraid of bigger dogs. I was bitten by a Shepherd as a kid, and knocked down and pinned by a Rottie in my 30’s. I’m only okay around little dogs - even knowing full well that they are more likely to bite.

That being said, my good friend Dianne has two chihuahuas; one of which terrifies me, as it has tried to bite me numerous times.
Sorry to make you rehash. Wasn't looking for proof in the way of horrifying memories just trying to wade through the many opinions flying around. Glad you were able to switch and avoid any sort of scene. Also chihuahuas are the worst ;)

Last edited:

Nubs70

I think that a lot of people aren’t taking into account how the “dog -is -my -child-people” already take their dogs so many places.
If a dog hangs out at Starbucks, goes shopping with his/her owner, sits at an outdoor seating section of a restaurant on a regular basis, goes to a dog park or regular park or beach etc etc.. these dogs are used to new places, strangers, sounds, smells, etc.
Then pees on the bed because you left him in a room and is seeking a degree of canine retribution.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
$$ to change. And more to the point of why would anyone have any issue with this rule change when they can just avoid those hotels to begin with? But people do and that's fine.
I’m sure anyone who asks to switch because of an existing reservation made before this policy was put in place will be accommodated without lying about anything. It may just take a few follow up calls.

People can absolutely book a different resort going forward or just ask for a room in the non-dog sections of these hotels. Based on posts here a number of people who were against the policy listed POR or YC as their favorite resort. I can understand why they would be upset even though there are other options.

LJF

I love my dog but this wouldnt be fair to him. Then add another 700+ to your trip for room fees and doggie day care, No thanks.

Honestly I'm surprised it took this long to come about. But dont worry, the dogs will be able to go to the parks in the next 3 years.

Lucky

I love my dog but this wouldnt be fair to him. Then add another 700+ to your trip for room fees and doggie day care, No thanks.

Honestly I'm surprised it took this long to come about. But dont worry, the dogs will be able to go to the parks in the next 3 years.
I wouldn't bring one on Teacups but they should be fine on Speedway...

Go_Dog_Go.jpg.cf.jpg

freesvoice

I’m sure anyone who asks to switch because of an existing reservation made before this policy was put in place will be accommodated without lying about anything. It may just take a few follow up calls.

People can absolutely book a different resort going forward or just ask for a room in the non-dog sections of these hotels. Based on posts here a number of people who were against the policy listed POR or YC as their favorite resort. I can understand why they would be upset even though there are other options.
Totally agree they shouldnt charge especially if someone booked before this was announced... but as was just posted tonight they tried to charge $400 to switch until the person made it clear this was an issue. Unfair of WDW and will force people to lie.

I can understand why they would be upset too but good news is that it can be avoided in the future and in the mean time WDW should let people switch resorts.

Last edited:

SuzGM84

I don’t know why anyone would not hold on to a golden retriever, or any dog, when a stranger entered a hotel room. Not just for escaping reasons, but the dog could jump etc. I don’t think I would want housekeeping in my room while I was there with 2 dogs...probably wouldn’t be easy to clean around them.
I’m very glad that the dog was found!!

Thanks! I was too - I felt so bad for her! But to your point about not holding onto your dog/letting housekeeping in. They weren't in the room at the time (were at a wedding ceremony) - had the "do not disturb" up and the housekeeper still came in the room. As someone who has worked in hotels before, I know housekeepers can be super busy and miss DND signs occassionally!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I am fine with dogs at the hotels, but I would like to know if a dog has been in my room, for a variety of reasons. First and foremost, I have a pretty bad allergy to them. It is controllable if I take zyrtec or something, but it is bad enough that even staying at my sister's house for dinner for a few hours (she has three dogs) is uncomfortable for me (itching, breathing problems, etc.).

I wouldn't mind seeing them around the hotel so much (as long as owners are responsible about poo collection)...I would just avoid them. Much like I would expect those who don't like smokers to avoid the smoking sections of the resort, and they would rightfully be upset if a smoker were to disobey those rules.

I'm not going to claim that this sort of thing would bother me if I'm crashing at a Motel 6 (heck, there are other concerns in those things, heh), but for the Disney price and quality standards, I would rather not experience it. Any more than someone who is allergic / sensitive to smoking residue wouldn't expect to have a Disney room that has residue.

I'm fine with it, and people like my sister will adore the options (options are wonderful!), but I would like to know in advance of booking if my room allowed pets or not, so I have the option to avoid them.

Anyhow, there's my two cents.

Clamman73

Wonder how you would say "Please stand clear of the doors" in dog language? Woof woof bark bark woof bark? *shrugs

TDogg76

Hey, everyone complaining! Here's an idea....stay at one of the many OTHER resorts that won't allow this! Or request a room in a different wing! Geez, you people make it sound like they are getting rid of Figment or something! Breathe everyone.....just, breathe!!!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hey, everyone complaining! Here's an idea....stay at one of the many OTHER resorts that won't allow this! Or request a room in a different wing! Geez, you people make it sound like they are getting rid of Figment or something! Breathe everyone.....just, breathe!!!

Hey, here's another idea: read this thread where it's been pointed out that WDW is instituting this policy immediately such that it doesn't give people who've already booked their rooms the appropriate heads-up and now they have go get on the phone to get their resort switched. And how it's been pointed out that there's only one Value-level resort that has suites which is now a dog-resort with dog stations at both ends and the center.

TDogg76

Hey, here's another idea: read this thread where it's been pointed out that WDW is instituting this policy immediately such that it doesn't give people who've already booked their rooms the appropriate heads-up and now they have go get on the phone to get their resort switched. And how it's been pointed out that there's only one Value-level resort that has suites which is now a dog-resort with dog stations at both ends and the center.

Again, deep breathe in....and then out!!!
And please let us know how many dogs ruined your trip! I'm very interested to know!
Have a magical trip!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The timing of this does seem strange. It seems very rushed and disorganized to me. Why not make an announcement now that the policy will go into place in 6 months? Give dog owners and those looking to avoid dogs a heads up. I wonder if they anticipated some push back so wanted to just implement this quietly without a lot of speculation as to what the impact would be.

I also wonder why they picked those resorts. The campground was an obvious choice and POR makes sense because it is very spread out with lots of smaller buildings but AoA and YC are kinda hard to figure out. I would think one of the All Stars would be a better fit since there are no indoor hallways and lots of ground level rooms near grass. Instead of YC I would have thought Wilderness Lodge would make more sense for a deluxe. They could have even built a small dog park area that the Lodge and campground could have shared. Maybe they picked YC because of the convention center. Do people bring dogs to conventions?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The timing of this does seem strange. It seems very rushed and disorganized to me. Why not make an announcement now that the policy will go into place in 6 months? Give dog owners and those looking to avoid dogs a heads up. I wonder if they anticipated some push back so wanted to just implement this quietly without a lot of speculation as to what the impact would be.

I also wonder why they picked those resorts. The campground was an obvious choice and POR makes sense because it is very spread out with lots of smaller buildings but AoA and YC are kinda hard to figure out. I would think one of the All Stars would be a better fit since there are no indoor hallways and lots of ground level rooms near grass. Instead of YC I would have thought Wilderness Lodge would make more sense for a deluxe. They could have even built a small dog park area that the Lodge and campground could have shared. Maybe they picked YC because of the convention center. Do people bring dogs to conventions?
It is an odd list. Campgrounds seems a non-issue to me. Ft. Wilderness all around should be dog, should have been dog, and no issues imho.

AoA...sortof? makes sense?

I haven't seen the reserved rooms, but if it is the Mermaid section, there are no internal hallways. That one they basically did as Pop overflow.

Pop would make a lot of sense to me, though. Toss it into one of the far buildings? And that "campus" with hourglass lake, for dog owners and the ringing pathway for morning walks/jogs, does make sense. Even more so than PORS (due to how PORS walkways are centralized versus ringing around the lake).

<shrug> I dunno...

Casper Gutman

You know that you're just being dismissive of people's real concerns, right? And that's considered super rude, right?
This thread is also full of people who feel that they know how to take care of other people's dogs better than the owners, which is also a bit rude.

WDW should allow people to change their resort for no fee. That seems like an acceptable compromise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom