4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

How will the dog "presents" be handled? Does anyone realistically expect all dog owners to be responsible enough to pick up and properly dispose of the "presents"?

I'm not paying $$$ to stay on resort to smell dogs and their "presents". Want to bring your woof friend with you on your Disney vacation? There are offsite hotels.
Why do so many people assume that all dogs are that bad. Last month I was at aoa and 4 days in a row the pool was shut down for kids leaving “presents” floating because their parents ignored the swim diaper rule. Kids are just as messy and loud and discourteous to others as most dogs. To some of us our pets are our children and sometimes aren’t able to use our normal sitter. It won’t be the end of the world

trainplane3

Not a fan of this at all. Service dogs are one thing since they behave better then most people. Seriously, service dogs don't get enough credit for what they do on a daily basis. I was talking to a friend about something this morning and they mentioned on a previous vacation they took their german shepard with them (not Disney). No problem since it was allowed at the hotel. Well...the dog figured out how to open the door and ran out. I'm not saying this is going to happen, but there are some pretty freakin' smart dogs out there.

durangojim

Why do so many people assume that all dogs are that bad. Last month I was at aoa and 4 days in a row the pool was shut down for kids leaving “presents” floating because their parents ignored the swim diaper rule. Kids are just as messy and loud and discourteous to others as most dogs. To some of us our pets are our children and sometimes aren’t able to use our normal sitter. It won’t be the end of the world
Just because one thing is bad, doesn't mean another thing isn't bad too.
I don't like having loud people or kids in the rooms next to me. That doesn't mean I can't dislike having a loud dog in the room next to me too.

G00fyDad

The child will not bring fleas into the hotels. And you know good and well now that they are allowing dogs in the rooms people are going to start bringing ANY pet into the room. Cats, ferrets, etc. And let's not pretend that some of these dogs are not going to be barking all hours of the night, they will not be picked up after so watch where you step, and this WILL increase the amount of "service animals" coming into the parks.

JohnD

Just had some further info on this, and what you say is right. This has all been put together very very quickly.

That thought immediately cross my mind too. Hurricane Irma blows through. Dogs allowed in rooms while hunkering down. A WDW accountant gets another money-making idea. Doggone it. Let's make money off this. Now 4 resorts are going to the dogs.

Alice a

This is odd in general, but what catches my interest is why not cats? They don't bark, don't leave the room, don't spray etc. if they are fixed, etc.

Of course there's the litter and clawing issue (my cat is toilet trained, yay no litterboxes) but a bad cat also won't eat the furniture or do any more damage then an ill-behaved dog. I love dogs (all animals) but am sadly allergic. I get why some owners would have a better vacation with their pet.

I have a very young diabetic cat, and my vacation would be a lot longer, cheaper (it costs me $100 a day to have a vet tech come to my house twice a day only to give Kitty his insulin) and less stressful (worrying about blood sugar drops while I'm away) to have him in the hotel.

I don't think this is a great idea, but I'm more puzzled by the all-in mentality regarding dogs but no other pet.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
This is odd in general, but what catches my interest is why not cats? They don't bark, don't leave the room, dont spray etc. if theyare fixed, etc.

Of course there's the litter and clawing issue (my cat is toilet trained, yay no litterboxes) but a bad cat also won't eat the furniture or do any more damage then an ill-behaved dog. I love dogs (all animals) but am sadly allergic. I get why some owners would have a better vacation with their pet.

I have a very young diabetic cat, and my vacation would be a lot longer, cheaper (it costs me $100 a day to have a vet tech come to my house twice a day on!y to give Kitty his insulin while I'm away) and less stressful (worrying about blood sugar drops while I'm away) to have him in the hotel.

I don't think this is a great idea, but I'm more puzzled by the all-in mentality regarding dogs but no other pet.

People usually don't travel with cats and take them on the road. Dogs on the other hand, yes...

Incomudro

No one assumes "all dogs are bad."
But enough are.
And just like bad kids, the dogs are bad because their owners are bad.
Adding dogs to the mix doesn't do away with the bad kids and parenting.
It simply adds to the mix.
We don't need this.
And your pet is not your child.
I've had dogs.
I have kids (15 year old twins) now.
I loved my dogs, and yes - they were part of the family.
But they are nothing close to your own genetic offspring.

mikejs78

Premium Member

No one is saying all dogs are bad. In fact, I'd wager to say the majority are good. But if even 80% are good, the 20% can wreak a lot of havock.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I dont understand the uproar. Dogs are part of the family. It seems like people find a reason to complain about everything nowadays. And to those who have allergies, how is this any different than a service dog being allowed in the hotel?

From my anecdotal experience - dogs are essential parts of families, and during our last trip it was pretty stressful having to leave our dog for a week at the vet boarding center after we rescued him last year.

No. Dogs are not part of the family. They're pets. They're tools. They're food (for some people worldwide). They are not human babies you made through human sexual reproduction.

The "part of the family" argument is simply an argument of emotionality. And emotionality is not a sufficient reason to make policy. If it was, then people will make the arguments: "But my cat/ferret/boa/squirrel/monkey/skunk/pony/racoon is part of the family!!" They're not. They're animals.

The argument boils down to "I get to do this because I wanna, despite it inconveniencing or harming other people's comfort, physical health, or property." That's inexcusable.

I'd doubt Disney would let any dog into the resorts without precautions - as per the article, there's a checklist of vaccinations and training that appear necessary, and from the sound of it, including the nightly upcharge, might be more of a hassle than leaving the dog for a week.

Training? You mean the dog being trained? If that's what you're saying, then where did you get that? I don't see any requirement that they're trained. The WDWMagic articles says they must be "well behaved." How do you ensure that before the dog checks in? This is a set-up for failure in that there will be poorly-behaved dogs and then Disney staff has to go through the painful-for-everyone process of kicking out that family with their dog.

How is Disney going to make sure that only trained dogs check in? A certificate from a dog training school?[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

bhg469

Because a huge number of Disney guests are that bad. A lot of people are acting as if the dogs that will be coming will be any different than the horribly behaving families. Its not the dogs I have an issue with, its the people bringing the dogs that are going to be the issue.

DougK

Something that really surprises me is how this impacts the child-safe environment that Disney works so hard to preserve.

With this new rule you have the potential for dangerous dogs to be on the loose around the resorts. The dogs on the loose problem exists in people's neighborhoods, and I think they welcome the escape from that when they stay at a Disney resort.

Still scratching my head over this decision.

Steve, maybe their decision has something to do with the extra $50 per night they will be charging guests. One way I think we can tell that this is simply about money to Disney is they are charging $50 per night at three of the resorts but $75 per night at the Yacht Club, a so-called Deluxe resort. Why would bringing the same dog to different resorts cost different amounts of money? Because they can get away with it, that's why. This has nothing to do with customer satisfaction, it has everything to do with money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom