4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

Incomudro

This is bad news and could be an absolute disaster. And "no weight or breed restrictions". SERIOUSLY!!! What happens when a family brings their two 50 lb pit bulls to the resort and leave them in their room for 12 hours while they go off to the parks? They can just stay in the room and bark all day? The walls shake when a big dog barks. When is mousekeeping supposed to come in and clean with two big dogs lying around the room? Glad that I'm a French Quarter guy and not a Riverside guy!
What happens when one of those large pitbulls runs out of its room, and makes its way to French Quarter?

olie64

Well I check in tomorrow at POP so I guess we see how they enforce the rules if some one decided to bring over their dog from AoA. I would not be happy having a dog on a bus with me takes up room and how they going to handle if the dog decides to mark its territory on someone. And from how it reads that could be the case. I know the dog has to be in a cage, but that just takes up space that people could be in.

Incomudro

It sounds like people think dogs are vicious, smelly animals that bark all night from reading these comments. LOL... Our dogs are treated like royalty (better than some people), don't smell, sleep in bed with us (I know some people think that's appalling), are polite and definitely don't bark at night. I think for the responsible dog lover it's a great idea. Dogs are a part of the family, so why not have the option to bring them along. Disney must have had a lot of requests to test this. Their choice of hotels are interesting as well.

I'll tell you why, because for every one owner like you - there are ten that are horrible.

Last edited:

Chernaboggles

Lots of opinions here but not a lot of information about how dogs in hotels usually work, which I think might be useful to share.

First off, this is not a new thing, Disney is following an industry trend of increasing pet-friendliness at hotels: Marriott, Hilton and Sheraton/Starwood already have similar policies, with similar fees. It hasn't been a disaster for any of them, and probably won't be for Disney.

If Disney follows the usual pattern:
-At each of the dog-welcoming hotels, they'll designate a couple buildings or floors as dog-friendly, usually first floor rooms with easy access to green space or walking trails.
-Special waste containers & bag dispensors will placed around the dog-friendly buildings and walking/jogging paths.
-Dogs will be allowed on outdoor walking paths and outdoor common areas, but NOT in or near pools, restaurants, etc.
-Dogs will need to be leashed at all times when out of the room.
-Dog owners will be obliged to show vet records (vaccines & proof of flea protection) when checking in.
-Dog owners will be obliged to give emergency contact information so they can be summoned back to the room if the dogs are barking or causing problems.
-Dog owners will sign a waiver taking full responsibility for any damages (including bites, etc.)
-Disney will retain the right to make people leave if their dogs are unruly or loud.

EDIT: I missed the part where they're allowed on Magical express & some internal transportation. Thanks for the correction!

I honestly doubt you'll see many more dogs than you already do. Real (and fake) service dogs will be the same as always. This captures the very specific market of dog owners who WON'T fake a service dog but WILL pay for the pleasure of having their dog along on vacation: usually dual-income, no-kids (or no kids at home) who consider dogs part of the family. If you stay at one of these four resorts you might see a few extra dogs being walked or hear an occasional bark, but the people who'll pay an extra $50/$75 a night to have a dog with them at Disney are ALSO usually the people who'll want to pay extra to have Rex in daycare during the day so he doesn't get bored or lonely in the hotel room.

Last edited:

Incomudro

Don't want to get into the Pit Bull argument but not all large dogs are vicious. I own a Doberman and has been trained to the T and even though I wouldn't consider bringing him on our WDW vacations, they should be allowed just as 2 pound Yorkies (or rats IMO) should.
And for the record I do think breed restrictions are absurd and wrong.

It's not just a matter of vicious.
It's a matter of how much damage is done if the dog gets ahold of someone.
Would you rather a kid get bit by a Yorkie, or a Pitbull?

Stitch_Fan_NJ

Decisions like this make me wonder about some of these surveys they have people take. Was this brought up by a lot by people as being a downside of not being able to have their dogs with them in the room and at the resort.

I have a hard time believing this decision was based solely on surveys and instead was a case of hey Universal is doing so we should too... what a bunch of crap.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Lots of opinions here but not a lot of information about how dogs in hotels usually work, which I think might be useful to share.

First off, this is not a new thing, Disney is following an industry trend of increasing pet-friendliness at hotels: Marriott, Hilton and Sheraton/Starwood already have similar policies, with similar fees. It hasn't been a disaster for any of them, and probably won't be for Disney.

-At each of the dog-welcoming hotels, they'll designate a couple buildings or floors as dog-friendly, usually first floor rooms with easy access to green space or walking trails.
-Special waste containers & bag dispensors will placed around the dog-friendly buildings and walking/jogging paths.
-Dogs will be allowed on outdoor walking paths and outdoor common areas, but NOT in or near pools, restaurants, transportation, etc.
-Dogs will need to be leashed at all times.
-Dog owners will be obliged to show vet records (vaccines & proof of flea protection) when checking in.
-Dog owners will be obliged to give emergency contact information so they can be summoned back to the room if the dogs are barking or causing problems.
-Dog owners will sign a waiver taking full responsibility for any damages (including bites, etc.)
-Disney will retain the right to make people leave if their dogs are unruly or loud.

I honestly doubt you'll see many more dogs than you already do. Real (and fake) service dogs will be the same as always. This captures the very specific market of dog owners who WON'T fake a service dog but WILL pay for the pleasure of having their dog along on vacation: usually dual-income, no-kids (or no kids at home) who consider dogs part of the family. If you stay at one of these four resorts you might see a few extra dogs being walked or hear an occasional bark, but the people who'll pay an extra $50/$75 a night to have a dog with them at Disney are ALSO usually the people who'll want to pay extra to have Rex in daycare during the day so he doesn't get bored or lonely in the hotel room.
The market is very different though for those brands you listed. Disney is THE family and kid-safe brand. Still seems like a huge risk to me. We all know that dogs escape rooms, and escape leashes - and throw in irresponsible owners to the mix.

They will be allowed on some transportation - details in the original post.

Vaccination records will be required on request.

SpoiledBlueMilk

And again Disney continues to devalue its resort experience. This is what I expect at a La Quinta for $74 a night, not in a $500 a night deluxe Disney resort.

Hardly. I'll pay $400 a night at the Omni in Hilton Head where I can take my dog. I'd gladly pay $500 a night at Disney to do the same.

Of course, I am a responsible dog owner with a well behaved dog. I can see some ignorant people taking advantage of this, which is bad for the rest of us.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Decisions like this make me wonder about some of these surveys they have people take. Was this brought up by a lot by people as being a downside of not being able to have their dogs with them in the room and at the resort.

I have a hard time believing this decision was based solely on surveys and instead was a case of hey Universal is doing so we should too... what a bunch of crap.
It is based on generating more money as the first priority. Guest experience and safety in some respects are now secondary.

Bronson55

I've had the displeasure of watching a five year old urinate in the pool drain around the POR pool walkway at the direction of his pig parents. Also, don.t get me started on smells from people who don't embrace good body hygiene in the heat of summer. I'll take my chances with the dogs. Spent the days before and after hurricane Harvey at the Beach Club and did not see a single dog related incident and there were may dogs due to the disaster. In fact everyone seemed to enjoy them. I get it that there are people with allergies but some of the knee jerk assumptions are comical.
I think it would be best if they had certain wings or certain sections as dog rooms. That would really be good for everyone, but especially the dogs. They'd be near other dogs, whom they could get to know and play with. Disney could even put some sort of dog park outside of that part of the hotel.

Anyway, if it's only a handful of hotels, I don't think it's that big a deal. Especially since their competitor is doing it. In fact I'd say it's a good option to have.

And humans are animals. Some people remind me of that all the time.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
It's not just a matter of vicious.
It's a matter of how much damage is done if the dog gets ahold of someone.
Would you rather a kid get bit by a Yorkie, or a Pitbull?
I really think its on the owner, if a owner properly leaches his or her dog and has properly socialized the dog, the risk is extremely low. I am also not naive to think that there isn't a risk. Dogs and animals as a whole can be unpredictable so I agree, Disney is certainly opening up the door at a lot of risk legally, and I think any hotel that allows any size dog is as well. I am a bit sensitive when blanket statements are made that large dogs shouldn't be allowed. The most aggressive breeds are actually smaller dogs (think Jack Russell's), but as you alluded to, yes a larger dog's bite force is much more and will typically get the news coverage if a bite should occur.
I find this to be very strange considering the accident that occurred last year with that poor child and the gator. I would think Disney would want to avoid anything that could even be the slightest possibility of a risk at their resorts.

Bronson55

Agree...I've had the displeasure of watching a five year old urinate in the pool drain around the POR pool walkway at the direction of his pig parents. Also, don.t get me started on smells from people who don't embrace good body hygiene in the heat of summer. I'll take my chances with the dogs. Spent the days before and after hurricane Harvey at the Beach Club and did not see a single dog related incident and there were may dogs due to the disaster. In fact everyone seemed to enjoy them. I get it that there are people with allergies but some of the knee jerk assumptions premature.

Incomudro

-Dogs will be allowed on outdoor walking paths and outdoor common areas, but NOT in or near pools, restaurants, transportation, etc.

WDW is a different type of destination than many vacations.
At Disney, generally one leaves the hotel and hits the parks for hours.
So, dogs are going to be left alone in the room for hours.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Some people are acting as if they are staying in the same room as the dogs at these resorts

Seems like the dog rooms are going to be in separate sections of the resorts, and given the four options - not sure how that will be an issue. Port Orleans, Art of Animation, and Fort Wilderness are all separate buildings, while Yacht Club is very long and outstretched (so my guess would be the designated areas would be removed from main lobby/guest areas.)

Also, the running talking points that most owners don't care, I'm going to get bit, sound a lot like the fears I had of dogs before becoming a dog owner.

From my anecdotal experience - dogs are essential parts of families, and during our last trip it was pretty stressful having to leave our dog for a week at the vet boarding center after we rescued him last year.

I'd doubt Disney would let any dog into the resorts without precautions - as per the article, there's a checklist of vaccinations and training that appear necessary, and from the sound of it, including the nightly upcharge, might be more of a hassle than leaving the dog for a week.

Cautiously mixed with this until I see it in action, though I think the outrage is a bit premature.

SpoiledBlueMilk

-Dogs will be allowed on outdoor walking paths and outdoor common areas, but NOT in or near pools, restaurants, etc.

EDIT: I missed the part where they're allowed on Magical express & some internal transportation. Thanks for the correction!

Yep - this hits the nail on the head.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Some people are acting as if they are staying in the same room as the dogs at these resorts

Seems like the dog rooms are in almost separate sections of the resorts, and given the four options - not sure how that will be an issue. Port Orleans, Art of Animation, and Fort Wilderness are all separate buildings, while Yacht Club is very long and outstretched (so my guess would be the designated areas would be removed from main lobby/guest areas.
Yes guests will be staying in the same rooms as dogs from previous stays.

The designated blocks will not be exclusively for dogs. So a guest with no dog may well be in the block that has dogs currently or previously.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom