TSA Candy Snack Check.

Uncle Lupe

Just flew out of Orlando and had to empty all snacks and candy out of our carry ons. They were swabbed and tested. So if doing MNNSHP or using up dining credits for the trip home plan accordingly.

Everone was being body screened.

Last edited:

wendysue

Yes, they are very thorough at Sanford. It once took us 25 min. to get through security with one of the small ornamental christmas trees that came in a round canister with Mickey Mouse on the outside. It had not been opened so the seal was still intact, but I'm not sure how many different ways they examined that tree. xrays, swabs, etc. I almost told them to just keep it.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Yeah you never can tell what the TSA are going to do. Some of them go way over the top. I had my pin bag grabbed that I was going to carry on board with me and after holding me up for 15 minutes discussing it, they then had to call a supervisor to see if they would allow me to fly with the dangerous Disney pins. As you know the pins are all of 1/4 inch if that. This was out of Orlando. You would think these guys would have seen many pin bags go through their stations. I would never believe a high-jacker would conceivably use Disney pins to take over a flight.... but I'm not a TSA agent.

Upvote 0

I am Timmy

Just flew out of Orlando and had to empty all snacks and candy out of our carry ons. They were swabbed and tested. So if doing MNNSHP or using up dining credits for the trip home plan accordingly.

Everone was being body screened.
Were you flying out of Orlando International? Were they opening unopened snacks? Swabbed and tested, for what? Hard to give Disney snack bags for xmas if TSA is going to open and lick them. Thank you for posting this, I may have to rethink buying xmas goodies for my nieces and nephews (usually grab them last of the trip and put them in my carry on). How long were they taking to body screen everyone?

Upvote 0

djpoore94

I think this is a random exception rather than the rule. We've never had this happen before and we've traveled with lots of snacks both to and from Disney. Lots of times we just have some trail mix or something in a plastic zipper bag. We've never had snacks questioned at Detroit Metro or MCO (Orlando Intl). If they do it to everyone carrying on snacks from Disney the security lines are going to get incredibly long and way worse than they are now! I've been randomly picked for the GSR test before, I assume for no other reason than I happened to be the 10th (or 20th, or whatever number) person after the agent started counting!

Upvote 0

Jedi Stitch

Yeah you never can tell what the TSA are going to do. Some of them go way over the top. I had my pin bag grabbed that I was going to carry on board with me and after holding me up for 15 minutes discussing it, they then had to call a supervisor to see if they would allow me to fly with the dangerous Disney pins. As you know the pins are all of 1/4 inch if that. This was out of Orlando. You would think these guys would have seen many pin bags go through their stations. I would never believe a high-jacker would conceivably use Disney pins to take over a flight.... but I'm not a TSA agent.
I was going through Sea-Tac security going back to Iraq, in uniform, when the screener confiscated my folding scissors. They said you could use them as a punch weapon. barely 1/8" protrude from the nuckles. I grabbed my leagel to board keys and showed they were worse, but rules were rules.

Upvote 0

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
Were you flying out of Orlando International? Were they opening unopened snacks? Swabbed and tested, for what? Hard to give Disney snack bags for xmas if TSA is going to open and lick them. Thank you for posting this, I may have to rethink buying xmas goodies for my nieces and nephews (usually grab them last of the trip and put them in my carry on). How long were they taking to body screen everyone?
It was out of MCO. Lines were very long. They were just announcing in line that this is a brand new procedure all snacks had to come out of your carry on and put into a separate tray. They did not open any but they did dump one sling bag of candy. Swabed for residues. TSA was body screening every able bodied adult. Our carry on was mosly snacks. I got pulled for the TSA grope session because I forgot my luggage claim ticket in my pocket and another false positive. My hands were swabbed for residue also.

This was new and they were tryign to figure out the best way of screening the snacks. We had 5 carry ons and 5 personal items. Mostly candy and they extra snack credits used before we left that morning. We slowed things way down. Magical Express dropped us of 2 hrs before flight. We got to the gate with 40 minutes before boarding.

Upvote 0

wdwfan4eva

My son and I flew out of MCO on Friday night and I had our two bags of candy from MNSSHP in my carry-on. We "breezed" through security and weren't asked to check anything. However, in March, they had to do a thorough check of my son's backpack and he hardly had anything in it at the time.

Upvote 0

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
My son and I flew out of MCO on Friday night and I had our two bags of candy from MNSSHP in my carry-on. We "breezed" through security and weren't asked to check anything. However, in March, they had to do a thorough check of my son's backpack and he hardly had anything in it at the time.
We flew out Sunday at 11: 30 am. They were giving verbal instructions so you could somewhat prepare in line. But everything was looked over swabed, even squeezed the mini Mickey pretzel bags to see if they were factory sealed.

Upvote 0

anchorman314

In May, I had the magical trifecta of electronics, snacks, and "perfect" timing. Everything in my carry-on was unpacked and examined. (Food packages did not get opened.) I'm thinking TSA didn't like the loose batteries, travel alarm clock, and Rice Krispie treat. (RK Treats and fudge don't look very innocent on their x-rays.) They swabbed several items, the inside of my bag, and my hands.

Upvote 0

Schneewittchen

So funny, the same happened to me at BWI back in April.

DH and the kids drove down to WDW in our motorhome, but I was on a business trip and had to meet them there two days after they started driving down. Of course, DH is a Disney pin freak and forgot to pack his collection. So he asked me to bring his pin bag down on my flight.

So yeah, when the TSA agent saw that pin bag in my carry-on on the x-ray, he about pooped his pants. He kept sending it back and forth in the scanner just staring at it. I had to explain that I was going to Disney World and that pins are a thing. And then excavate the pin bag from my bras and panties. And then show him every panel of pins in the bag. Totally held up the line for about 10 minutes. Good thing it was early in the morning.....

Upvote 0

tractor tipper

Went through this 9/17 at MCO. Announced two lines were being food dumped because this was "something new and coming to an airport near you". Other lines weren't affected at that time. DD had to wait about 15-20 min. for her candy.

Upvote 0

Figment82

Question: Is this also occurring in the TSA PRE line?

I flew out of MCO on Saturday and luckily had TSA pre-check randomly assigned to my boarding pass. We didn’t have to remove anything and our bags were not gone through. We did have a few snacks in our carryons, but nothing like an MNSSHP treat bag. I always volunteer for the body scan due to medical reasons, but most everyone else was sent through the regular metal detector.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom