TSA Candy Snack Check.

Uncle Lupe

Just flew out of Orlando and had to empty all snacks and candy out of our carry ons. They were swabbed and tested. So if doing MNNSHP or using up dining credits for the trip home plan accordingly.

Everone was being body screened.

Last edited:

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

I flew out of MCO on Saturday and luckily had TSA pre-check randomly assigned to my boarding pass. We didn’t have to remove anything and our bags were not gone through. We did have a few snacks in our carryons, but nothing like an MNSSHP treat bag. I always volunteer for the body scan due to medical reasons, but most everyone else was sent through the regular metal detector.

THANK YOU :). Wife and I just bought into PRE, due to electronics fit. I see the latest "candy fit" as further justification for our by-in :).
Thinking that this was the right thing to do at this time.....

Upvote 0

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
THANK YOU :). Wife and I just bought into PRE, due to electronics fit. I see the latest "candy fit" as further justification for our by-in :).
Thinking that this was the right thing to do at this time.....
Think I'll just pay to have an extra checked bag for $25. All my electronics fit into my waist bag so that was no problem and easy to take out of the carry-on. We don't travel enough too justify pre check. Would be nice to keep my belt on and my pants in one place. :D

Is this new screening from something we don't know about publicly yet or just a way to sell convenience??

Upvote 0

Disneydreamer23

This happened to me I flew home September 24th? all my snacks were taken out they opened some Star Wars gummies I had swabbed it and then closed it .Anyone that had a bag of candy it was double-checked it took me almost 2 hours to get through security.

Upvote 0

Disney4family

Interesting. We just flew home from MCO Tuesday evening and didn't have any issues. We didn't have massive amounts of candy in our carry-ons (only the one bag you get when you check in for your bracelet - so 5 total in one backpack) since the kids know we can always grab candy any day of the week at home. We don't get to visit too often so if we're at WDW, time is too precious for us. We prefer to enjoy the attractions instead of wait on lines for anything. Nothing was said or done. I would never have known this was happening if I didn't check in here.
(I guess the best part besides not having to deal with this was riding BTMRR 4 times in a row without having to leave our seat since everyone else was one line for candy or meet and greets.)

Upvote 0

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Went through TSA Pre on 9/17 at about 5pm. No swabbing or dumping of candy.

And side note, I cannot stand rules that are made up out of thin air. Makes going through security absolute hell.
Nor can we. Oddly, we never pack candy in our carry on.... so why the happiness with PRE?

.... because the people in FRONT of you, in the non-pre line, ARE carrying small electronics and candy. Just us, with all these "silly party" checks affecting the line flow? We're personally glad we got PRE :).

Upvote 0

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
This happened to me I flew home September 24th? all my snacks were taken out they opened some Star Wars gummies I had swabbed it and then closed it .Anyone that had a bag of candy it was double-checked it took me almost 2 hours to get through security.

Wow they opened some sealed packages? You are at their mercy so not much you can say or do without jeopardizing your travel plans.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Usually fly out of Newark... I never knew you could even bring food in a carryon... Am I living under a rock? Or is this just Newark, NJ? LOL

All solid foods should be allowed through TSA. You can see a more detailed breakdown here -> https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/food Things like Peanut Butter may be confiscated (some consider it a non solid), but a sandwich should be allowed through. Now if a given TSA agent is particularly hungry that day, all bets are off as to if anything will be let through.

Upvote 0

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
This happened to us yesterday. Wish I'd seen this thread ahead of time. Also, Magical Express only got us there about an hour and 45 minutes early! It was weird. I'm used to them getting me there well over two hours early.

Oh well, we made it home.

Next time, my caramel popcorn is going in my checked bag to be eaten at home!
I posted this from the tarmac as I thought it would be much needed planning info I had not seen. But yes 1:45 min is not a lot of time to get to a gate depending on your travel party. We had 40 minutes left after security which gave us some time to grab lunch and quickly eat.

Wonder if DME will adjust their pickup times?

Upvote 0

sheriffwoody

I posted this from the tarmac as I thought it would be much needed planning info I had not seen. But yes 1:45 min is not a lot of time to get to a gate depending on your travel party. We had 40 minutes left after security which gave us some time to grab lunch and quickly eat.

Wonder if DME will adjust their pickup times?
They picked us up plenty early, the problem was that we were the first of 3 stops :cautious:. With our departure time, we should have been headed to the airport when the picked us up, not making more stops. Maybe it was just a fluke. But with security lines like they are, the Magical Express planners need to be careful about that. I wonder if it's a computer system or an actual team of people who sets those pickups and routes?

Luckily it was just me and my husband, so we didn't have little ones slowing us down in the airport. I felt so bad for the people with bigger families trying to get through there! :( I heard a few people saying their plane had already left.

Upvote 0

I am Timmy

They picked us up plenty early, the problem was that we were the first of 3 stops :cautious:. With our departure time, we should have been headed to the airport when the picked us up, not making more stops. Maybe it was just a fluke. But with security lines like they are, the Magical Express planners need to be careful about that. I wonder if it's a computer system or an actual team of people who sets those pickups and routes?

Luckily it was just me and my husband, so we didn't have little ones slowing us down in the airport. I felt so bad for the people with bigger families trying to get through there! :( I heard a few people saying their plane had already left.
That's awful! How long did it end up taking you to get through security? And what did they do to your food? I think we might just get an Uber to the airport at the end of our Dec. trip to make sure we know how much time we'll have. We come home on xmas eve, so I'm hoping if I know a few things in advance it will be as painless as possible............

Upvote 0

sheriffwoody

That's awful! How long did it end up taking you to get through security? And what did they do to your food? I think we might just get an Uber to the airport at the end of our Dec. trip to make sure we know how much time we'll have. We come home on xmas eve, so I'm hoping if I know a few things in advance it will be as painless as possible............

It took around 45 minutes I believe. I'll break it down into an order of events to help make sense. I feel like I'm not great at summarizing :joyfull:
  1. ~35 minutes in line
  2. Get up to conveyor belt and remove from bag: any electronic bigger than a cell phone, any food items. Food goes in its own bin.
  3. Wait in another line to get through the body scanner.
  4. Collect belongings and wait for bin of food to be further screened.
  5. TSA agent takes my bags of popcorn and just kind of feels on them (I guess since it was a clear bag, no need to swab)
  6. TSA agent takes my bag of coffee and rubs some fabric stuff on it, then takes that to a little machine to be tested.
  7. Obviously I am not carrying a bomb in my sealed bag of coffee, so off I go.
So the actual screening process was about 10 minutes I'd estimate. I know the wait time will largely depend on how many people are there, and how much food they have to screen (and how on the ball the TSA agents are).

My advice would be to pack food in your checked bag if you can. I would have, if I'd known of this change beforehand. You could also check with someone at the front desk about your pick up time. They picked us up at 2:20 for a 5:10 flight, and we didn't get to the airport until almost 3:30. We should have been picked up earlier, or been on a bus that wasn't making any more stops. I am one of those people that needs to be at the airport WAY early for my sanity, unless it's the Memphis airport, which is almost always completely deserted :D

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Thank you, OP, for posting this. I'll definitely be watching to see what new-and-different TSA rules get implemented before my family's next trip to Orlando (April 2018). We travel carryon-only (no checked bags) and typically devote half of one carryon to breakfast items and snacks (Pop Tarts, granola bars, cereal, fruit snacks, coffee filter packs, and the like). Under the new rules, between all the food, our 3-1-1 bags, shoes, jackets and tablets, we're gonna need a lot of bins to get through security!!

At least with this heads-up, I'll be able to make it as painless as possible, by arriving earlier at the airport, and putting our food items into big, clear Ziploc bags and keeping it all on top of the luggage for easy removal at the screening area...

Upvote 0

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
Thank you, OP, for posting this. I'll definitely be watching to see what new-and-different TSA rules get implemented before my family's next trip to Orlando (April 2018). We travel carryon-only (no checked bags) and typically devote half of one carryon to breakfast items and snacks (Pop Tarts, granola bars, cereal, fruit snacks, coffee filter packs, and the like). Under the new rules, between all the food, our 3-1-1 bags, shoes, jackets and tablets, we're gonna need a lot of bins to get through security!!

At least with this heads-up, I'll be able to make it as painless as possible, by arriving earlier at the airport, and putting our food items into big, clear Ziploc bags and keeping it all on top of the luggage for easy removal at the screening area...
How do you fly in only carry ons only?? Our lightest suitcase was 35lbs. :hilarious:

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

How do you fly in only carry ons only?? Our lightest suitcase was 35lbs. :hilarious:

I'm glad you asked! I used to travel frequently for work, and after a couple of mishaps with my checked luggage, I committed to traveling carryon-only, and I've never looked back. Here's how we do it (to summarize, we bring only what we need, with a carefully-curated packing list that we stick to):

1 - Each member of the family has a rolling 21" carryon suitcase for his/her clothes and shoes. (The bags are the traditional style with two wheels, which have far more interior space than 4-wheeled rolling bags). For a trip to Disney World, those suitcases will hold (rolled carefully to reduce wrinkles, and placed into packing cubes) 5 or 6 warm-weather outfits (if our trip is going to be longer than 5-6 days, I simply bring half the clothes we need and schedule a relaxing morning doing laundry by a quiet pool, mid-trip), a swimsuit, PJs, underthings, and a pair of hiking sandals. An eBags pack-it-flat toiletry case with the whole family's toothbrushes, makeup and hair things, etc. also goes into the top of my bag. Because the kids' clothes are smaller, their carryons are only about 75% filled after their clothes are packed, so breakfast foodstuffs and miscellaneous items (a laundry bag, rain ponchos, glow sticks) get added to their bags. DH and I each slip our 3-1-1 bags (mine has cosmetics and toiletries, his is chock-full of sunscreen) into an outside pocket of our carryon, for easy access during security screening. Fully loaded, each carryon bag weighs about 20 pounds, so our kids (every since their first Disney trip at ages 4 and 6) have easily been able to pull their own bags.

2 - DH and I also each have a "personal item" for the plane -- a backpack for him and a tote bag for me, one with the strap on the back that allows me to slide it over the handle of my carryon when heading through the airport. My bag contains my park bag (a tiny crossbody purse with my ID, cash, travel documents, phone, 3x5 itinerary cards with confirmation #s, our MagicBands, etc.), a mini First-Aid kit with Band-aids and Tylenol, wet wipes, sunglasses for me and my daughter, my camera and any other electronics, earbuds and chargers (packed into a clear pouch for easy inspection during security screening), and any in-flight snacks for the family. DH's backpack contains his ID/cash, sunglasses for him and my son, his own electronics and accessories, and any extra items the kids may want in-flight. For our first trip, we also had the kids bring backpacks as their personal items, but we found that they just got in the way, and the children only had a book or two, and a pair of earbuds that they wanted during the flight, so we just consolidated them into our own personal items on future trips.

3 - We wear our bulkiest clothing on the plane: long pants, sneakers, a short-sleeved top, a hoodie, and for my husband and the kids, a ballcap. This saves space in the luggage, and is generally appropriate for the weather at home anyway. We usually travel to WDW in fall or spring, and most times we never had to break out the hoodies or jeans again until the flight home, but they're nice to have in case there's a cold snap. If we think we'll want to change into shorts in-flight or as soon as we get to Orlando, we keep an extra pair of shorts in my husband's backpack.

Easy-peasy! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom