News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Kamikaze

They used to shut down the Magic Kingdom's Skyway during lighting storms ...but if you want to ride the new gonadal during the daily lighting storms feel free, I just think a lot of people will opt for the bus instead of riding this thing they're spending millions on during the daily lighting storms

There will be no bus to opt for. If you want to go from any of the four Skyliner resorts to either of the two Skyliner theme parks, you will need to take a gondola. There will not be a bus option. If you brought your own transportation to the resort, you could obviously take that. You could also choose to hire a Minnie van, cab, Uber or Lyft out of your own pocket.

Bender123

I am shocked people would think bus would be an option with so many resorts showing bus transport goes away...

There is no bus option from the monorail resorts to MK or Epcot, there is no bus option from Boardwalk/BC/YC to Epcot front door or Studios.

The first thing that will happen is bus service gets axed.

tl77

You ride in cars during a lightning storm, you fly in airplanes during lightning storms, you stay in tall buildings during lightning storms. What is the difference. Disney and the manufacturers they are using are not idiots. If they are not grounded properly, the lawsuits would put everyone except lawyers out of a job. It seem like being suspended on a cable during a storm is dangerous, but, it is probably less dangerous then standing on the ground.

It is the same mindset that is so prevalent in the often heard argument about flying vs. driving. People are afraid of flying, yet more people die on the highways every single day that an entire year of air travel. If someone wants to call you home... your going no matter where you are at the time. You don't need reservations.
Do people "like" flying in planes during lighting storms though? that's what I'm saying

tl77

There will be no bus to opt for. If you want to go from any of the four Skyliner resorts to either of the two Skyliner theme parks, you will need to take a gondola. There will not be a bus option. If you brought your own transportation to the resort, you could obviously take that. You could also choose to hire a Minnie van, cab, Uber or Lyft out of your own pocket.
If the Skyliner is the only way to get from those resorts to those parks, then I would never stay at any of those resorts

jt04

I am shocked people would think bus would be an option with so many resorts showing bus transport goes away...

There is no bus option from the monorail resorts to MK or Epcot, there is no bus option from Boardwalk/BC/YC to Epcot front door or Studios.

The first thing that will happen is bus service gets axed.

Wrong. They will have busses on stand-by.

Kamikaze

Wrong. They will have busses on stand-by.

Those aren't buses just sitting around, though. They are buses that have to be rerouted from other things to take the passengers. There aren't just bus drivers sitting around waiting for the monorail (or Skyliner) to break down so they can swoop in and save the day.

This won't be stopped/breaking down often enough for this to matter.

Bender123

Where did here this, because @marni1971 has said the current plan is no busses from these resorts, and they will not put busses into service when they shut the gondola down for a storm.

Why would they? I would guess it would only happen if there was a mechanical issue or outage that would cause an extended downtime.

Don't these gondolas run fine in lightning anyway? They are naturally grounded, so I don't know why there would be an issue...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Speak for yourself, I was flying in a lighting storm once and was spectacularly beautiful!
Wise pilots avoid flying "in" lightning storms, since they're usually associated with thunderstorms. Flying around/between is generally accepted as a "best practice" as long as they can stay out from under the anvils.

Goofyernmost

Where did here this, because @marni1971 has said the current plan is no busses from these resorts, and they will not put busses into service when they shut the gondola down for a storm.
Wait... I accepted that they would not have regular service buses to those resorts, but, are you saying that if there is a sustained storm that puts the Gondola's on hold, that guests are stranded wherever they are and can only get from their resort or to their resort by paying someone extra to cart them there? (Sorry for the run on question) Even though no one anticipates that a shut down will be a common happening, doesn't that create a very bad situation. Did you word that wrong? If you didn't I cannot imagine a more short sighted plan ever. Also isn't there a certain amount of sustained walking to the Gondola's from the resort, or to the Gondola's? How happy will guests be if they are caught having to walk a distance in the rain? Having umbrella's and/or poncho's will not matter to a person paying high prices for a Disney Resort will they? Oh, well... just another happy reason why I would never again stay onsite. If I'm going to be inconvenienced to that degree, I will need the saved dollar bills to used as a cover to get through the rain.

Monorail_Orange

Wait... I accepted that they would not have regular service buses to those resorts, but, are you saying that if there is a sustained storm that puts the Gondola's on hold, that guests are stranded wherever they are and can only get from their resort or to their resort by paying someone extra to cart them there? (Sorry for the run on question) Even though no one anticipates that a shut down will be a common happening, doesn't that create a very bad situation. Did you word that wrong? If you didn't I cannot imagine a more short sighted plan ever. Also isn't there a certain amount of sustained walking to the Gondola's from the resort, or to the Gondola's? How happy will guests be if they are caught having to walk a distance in the rain? Having umbrella's and/or poncho's will not matter to a person paying high prices for a Disney Resort will they? Oh, well... just another happy reason why I would never again stay onsite. If I'm going to be inconvenienced to that degree, I will need the saved dollar bills to used as a cover to get through the rain.
I think this is part of where a lot of us are tainted by our memory of the MK Skyway and its need to shut down in virtually any "inclement" weather. This new gondola system would close for weather pretty infrequently, based upon the comments here by @Lift Blog , and others. It may be quite possible (and safe) to operate this system through most FL thunderstorms. Of course, if all that is incorrect, then much like with watercraft, bus alternatives will need to be available when the gondolas cannot operate, if not, I forsee Guest Relations comping some Minnie Van rides to some VERY unhappy guests. Especially since they will already being paying a premium, according to @WDW1974 , for the privilege of staying at a "Gondola resort."

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

Yes, you did read what I was saying correctly. Considering how common and random storms are in Florida I can't see them keeping buses and drivers on standby in case of a storm.

Goofyernmost

Yes, you did read what I was saying correctly. Considering how common and random storms are in Florida I can't see them keeping buses and drivers on standby in case of a storm.
Oh, I agree with that completely. No place would keep drivers and buses on standby other then a special planned event. The way it was worded though you made is sound like they wouldn't even divert buses to get those people out of the storm and back in the resort. I also don't believe it is going to be anything that is ever going to be a regular need anyway. There will be breakdowns and there will be times when the wind is strong enough to make it a real adventure to ride in a Gondola that is slanting out at a 45 degree angle. Those times they will employ the equipment that they have to take the limited number of guests to or from the resorts. What I have accepted is that there won't be a regular reduced number of buses on a regular basis, but, demand my just change that, we will see. The Monorail resorts have alternative boat transportation. These will not have that option.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom